Whats The Best Oil For My FZ1N ?, Semi Synthetic Or Full Synthetic ?

Once my new FZ1N is run in am thinking what type of oil should i run ? Full Synthetic or Semi Synthetic ?
i have always used semi syn in my bikes & changed both oil & oil filter every 3000km or approx 1700miles , but is it required that one should run Full syn oils in a R1 based engine of the 2008 model FZ1N ? . also once you use full syn oil , theres no turning back to using semi syn is there ? whats your opinion or what are you using in your FZ1N & why .

I had a Yamaha mechanic tell me that my old FZ6 (2007) was designed to run on petroleum based oil. Now I'm hesitant about changing my new bike (2008 FZ1) over to synthetic oil.

Its not necessary to run synthetic. I have heard that with the wet clutch the syn. holds up better and shifts smoother, but I really dont know from personal experience as my bike had syn. in it when I got it so I have just kept using it. A lot of guys run Rotella for petro based and mobil 1 for syn.

I just switched over to the Rotella Synthetic 5-40 at 5000 miles in my 08 and so far I like it a lot, really smooth shifting and it is only about $20 a gallon at Walmart. :cool:

I've switched over to Klotz full synthetic... I was running the Castrol Super M and it was great oil... but at $20 a quart... it wasn't that great. I base good oil on how the transmission reacts. Fresh off an oil change, the transmission is smooth as silk, and with the Castrol, that smooth feeling would last about 200mi. With the Klotz, it stays smoother for about 2,000 - 2,500 miles.

Hi, I have just had my first service at 700 miles, (last week) and the dealer used Silkoline T4 Fully Synthetic £10.00 per liter! they reccomend this oil with this bike.

I have had NO side effects with the oil NO clutch slip etc.

Fz1's are the Dogs Nuts. :)

The chemistry behind motor oils has made tremendous leaps in the last 15 years. Any major brand oils without viscosity modifiers (messes with the wet clutch) will work great whether they are dino, semi, or full synthetic. Just make sure they don't have the modifiers if you have a wet-clutch (Our bikes do). They usually say that they are motorcycle specific.... You can also tell if they have modifiers because they will say "Energy Conserving II" or have a Starburst on the label.

If you have a dry clutch, anything goes. Any oil with the SM designation is great stuff.

Personally, I use Mobil 1 (0W-40). That really pisses my dad off because he worked for Shell for 35 years!

Last edited:
Hi, I have just had my first service at 700 miles, (last week) and the dealer used Silkoline T4 Fully Synthetic £10.00 per liter! they reccomend this oil with this bike.

I have had NO side effects with the oil NO clutch slip etc.

Fz1's are the Dogs Nuts. :)

I would of waited to at least 2k on the ticker to switch...but that's my preference I just wanted to make sure the rings are seated comfortably..
I'm sure other preferences will be posted soon enough, as this thread goes on

I've got an '07. My first service oil change was done with petro oil.

At 3000 miles, I switched over to Repsol Full Synthetic. I did another change around 6000 and I've not had any issues.

at 600 i had dealer do 1st oilchange/inspection.
at 1500 miles i changed to mobil 1 filter and maxima 15-50 dino-oil.
probly before 8k i will switch to synthetic,1 more dino-oil change 1st. either staying with maxima, or going with repsol,or amsol. i run the maxima in the dirt bike,good stuff.

I have used Amsoil in my last three bikes after the original 600 or so break-in miles. I was just at the local dealer and the service advisor said I should wait for about 2500 miles or so before going to full synthetic. His reasoning was that break-in requires more than 600 miles. He may have something there because Yamaha says to keep the revs down untill you stack up 1000 miles. My concern has been how much additional wear is going on in the engine with regular vs synthetic oil?

Amsoil has some good test info on their site that is informative if you are willing to read it all. From what I've gleaned from several articles on lubrication is that synthetic generally gives better protection, especially if you go longer than suggested on oil changes but you'll pay more too. Amsoil will run you between $10 and $11 a Qt. and I think you can get mobil 1 for about $8 or so depending on where you get it.

Probably the most imortant thing is to make sure your oil meets the manufacturer's specs and it is changed accordingly. Save your receipts and documentation in case you have a warranty issue. The federal law says the manufacturer can't void the warranty because you didn't use "their" oil or have them do the work.

Ahhh...it's good to see that oil wars are alive and well on the FZ1 side of the Forum. Over on the FZ6 side I think we have beaten to subject to a pulp. :D

As long as you use an oil that is not designed as an "energy saving" oil you are good to go, semi-synth or full synth.

For my Fizzer I use whatever Cycle Gear's least expensive oil is that day. Preferably under $3.00 a qt.

While we are on the topic of oil, what are you guys running as far as weight goes?

Ive got a 2007 FZ1 with 120 miles on it, and Im wanting to change the oil. Once I hit 1000 miles I'll probably go to Mobil 1, but for now Im thinking Im gonna put Castrol GTX in it.

The question at hand...is 10w-40 an acceptable weight? The manual calls for either 10w-30, or 20w-40. What do you guys think?

Schrader

at 2100 miles I went Synthetic. I researched a lot of sites and found a lot of talk about different oils. I chose to go with Shell Rotella-T 5w-40 in the blue container. You can get it at wal-mart for $19.99 a gallon. Works great. Also use the puralator micron filter and those are about $6.00 at pep-boys and are superior to yamaha filters. They are a little longer but still fit behind the pipes and the extra length means better filtration.
I used Castrol for my first 2 oil changes but I would wait untill around 2100 miles to go synthetic. I changed at 500 miles and 1100, then synthetic at 2100.

Last edited:
#'s for Puralator filter

Sure the number for the Puralator filter is PL14610. It is the pure one filter, last one I bought was gold in color and looked cool with my 08' fz1's gold wheels lol. Anyway I have since bought a lower cowling and can't see the filter now. The first one I bought I don't think was a pure one and it was blue. Anyway they both fit and worked great. Here is a picture of it
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL14610-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000GIVEII]Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive[/ame]
and this is the oil I use
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil Offers Improved Engine Protection

Back