When to Change OIl on Stored 2010 FZ1

My bike was serviced 18 months ago by my local Yamaha dealer and had a new oil filter and Yamalube FS4 10w40 synthetic oil was used in a oil change, but has been in my garage unused (apart from 200 miles) since then.
Should I consider changing the oil and filter before I start using it?

I would not worry about it unless I were going to be doing some seriously hard riding on that oil, i.e. track days, or if you lived in a high humidity area. Also note, I am not an oil expert and I wouldn't disagree with anyone who said to change it.

I learned one of Life's Greatest Lessons on the FZ1OA. It's simple but still took years for me to truly grasp it. "Ride more, Worry Less."

Repeat after me................Ride more, worry less.

It isn't just a saying it's the path to eternal happiness.

Oil's too expensive to be throwing away, more importantly the road's are too glorious to be dicking with it. RIDE

My bike was serviced 18 months ago by my local Yamaha dealer and had a new oil filter and Yamalube FS4 10w40 synthetic oil was used in a oil change, but has been in my garage unused (apart from 200 miles) since then.
Should I consider changing the oil and filter before I start using it?
I wouldn't worry for one second over it. No.

I definitely wouldn't worry with that oil in there... that's a quality oil. Ride it.

I have one FZ1 with almost 60K miles and used cheap dino Rotella T4 15w-40 and whatever cheap filter I could find. When I picked up another one recently and did an oil change, I thought for a moment of spending on a fancy synthetic oil, but quickly came to my senses and remembered that the cheap stuff never let me down.

Back