When you need a project

I was complaining about a week ago to my wife that because the weather has been so crappy this summer I needed a project. Ive been a rider for 45 years but I've never bought a bike exclusively for the purpose of tearing it apart and rebuilding it, especially if it already ran just fine. I ended up finding an "81" Goldwing on the internet "Ebay" for a good price so I bid and won the bid, got in my truck and drove 526 miles each way to pick up my prize and bring it home. My honey definitely thinks I have lost my mind but it's a challenge and I love to tinker. At first I was going to simply do a huge make-over and take it back to it's original configuration and condition. As I started to research the Goldwing community, I found that there are a lot of Goldwing owners who have gone the "Naked route". Believe it or not, a naked wing can look pretty good. Nothing is going to replace my FZ1 because I truely believe that it's great sport bike and can more than likely even do a better job at soirt touring than any Goldwing, at least as far as I'm concerned, but I think I can make this 81 into a great around town and local bike just for the fun of it. I'll add a couple of pictures now and when I'm done, I'll post a few of the finished product. One picture is of the bike as I bought it, the other is with all the fairing and plastic removed and the metamorphosis in progress.

Be interesting to see what you plan on doing with the GW??

Got pictures of what you are shooting for??

I'm needing to get a second bike just so I can finish doing all the work on my FZ (as if that will happen....lol) so that I don't have to be scooter-less and be forced to drive in the cage. I've covered over 3000 miles in the past month, and I'm really beginning to hate the cage....

Adam

A project bike is always fun if it's not your only bike. This way you can work on it at your leisure and not think about all the riding that you're missing. Good luck with the GW project...

Randakk's Honda GL1000 Endurance Special

RC003%20with%20blower%20and%204%20into%204%20exhaust%20system%20final.jpg

I saw something similar to this cruising the streets of Alb (not the picture above, just look/size), but I never put the connection together that it was a Goldwing.

Does it stop with the naked look, or are you going to go farther?

Adam

Last edited:
It depends on how deep I have to go as far as $$$ is concerned. One thing I have discovered is the lack/substitution of stock fasteners. That is something that really tightens my shorts. I tore the front fairing apart this morning and I've never seen a butcher job on a wiring harness like I found in there. This bike was an Aspencade so it had speakers and radio etc, etc. They were blocked off with a real hack job of plates to cover the holes and the plastic had a lot of cracks. Luckilly the side covers and fake tank are in good condition and the front and rear fenders are pretty good. It's one of those fix-ups that grows in complexity everytime you take something apart. A mouse had made a fine house in the fairing too!

Back