Where have they been hiding these?

I know I don't get into Sydney much, but I didn't notice untill yesterday that the NSW Police are using FJR1300A's now! Apparently since July 08 too!
Damn they looked good too! Oh and I got to check out 4 of them all on the M7 yesterday, not including the 3 other cars on there too. Didn't see any cops anywhere else between Woolongong and Newcastle though.

View attachment 2928

And this is the news paper article I was reading too:

Don’t – in case the thought entered your head – don’t even think about scarpering if you find flashing blue lights filling your mirrors in NSW.

In a first for an Australian police force, NSW police can now be seen in the saddle of Yamaha’s highway blaster, the FJR1300A. No less than 17 of the big Sports Tourers have been sworn-in for duty.

Anyone who has thrown a leg over an FJR knows that it’s one seriously quick tourer. These FJRs have been built as 'police specials' at Yamaha's Japanese factory. Only minor modifications were necessary to accommodate the light-show and radio fittings the police like to muck around with. (“’ullo... ‘ullo... got a Nissan GTR ‘ave we Guv’...?” – whoops, wrong wallopers, but you get the drift.)

The Yamaha brand is new to NSW Police who, according to Technical and Liaison Sergeant, Julian Llewelyn, chose the FJR1300A for its performance, the ready availability of parts and Yamaha’s large dealer network (suiting the NSW force's routine servicing requirements).

"The FJR1300A base package comes out of the factory with 95 per cent of our requirements fulfilled," Sergeant Llewelyn said. "The bikes have further modifications, including additional emergency lights and various brackets installed by YMA during the pre-delivery process."
. . "With a promised 95 percent of spare parts arriving within five days and a 50 dealer network in NSW, we are confident that Yamaha will be able to keep our motorcycle fleet on the road," he said.
. .The eagle-eyed will note the first appearance of the new FJR1300As on Papal duties during the Pope’s visit.

Clearly, it’s catching on. The Queensland Police force has also placed an order for FJR1300As. Road warriors be warned.
Jul08.

It's just sad to see my FJR as a cop bike. Don't worry your FZ can out run them :innocent:

I was just thinking that I would sign up for the police academy if I got to drive one of those as my "day job". To bad I'm to old for that now. I think a few hot rods will be in for a surprise. :spank2:: owned:

At one time, if it was a police bike, it was a Harley, then Kawasaki got in the cop bike business and Kawasaki held the top spot for a while. These days I've seen several brands decked out as Police rides and there are some really slick Beemers out there in Police garb. I went sailing past a Beemer Police bike a few days ago (luckilly not too fast) and didn't even know it till I was past him.

I saw 4 of the FJR's down in Kiama a few months ago. The riders from NSW's finest were lunching near the harbour basin. Was a beautiful day and I think they had just got out of Sydney for a road trip. Good on them, the bikes sure looked good. As did the female officer with one of the bikes:)

Several years ago, I was in Sydney for two weeks for work. Very long flight over there. I met some very nice people there, I would like to go back someday. Maybe I will wait for the Star Trek mode of transportation to become available so the trip isn't so long :)

I had always thought that in recent times the NSW Police motorcycles were used for ceremonial purposes only and was a fairly small fleet. But a couple of weeks ago I saw one working the M7 in Sydney. On the way into town he had a poor car driver pulled over and on the way back I saw him next to his bike with radar gun pointed at the on comming traffic. Yikes watch out!!

Cheers Bluey

:eek:

Last edited:
Hey Burnesy, must be tough living down there and having to ride some of those awesome roads that go thru the countryside of the south coast!
I was down there a few weeks back, driving a truck to jarvis bay and back and I just wished I was on the bike!!!!!!
ps. I'm in newcastle. roads are crap up here.

Hey Burnesy, must be tough living down there and having to ride some of those awesome roads that go thru the countryside of the south coast!
I was down there a few weeks back, driving a truck to jarvis bay and back and I just wished I was on the bike!!!!!!
ps. I'm in newcastle. roads are crap up here.

Hey Scotty, Yeah we have some good ones around, lots of different little ways across the dividing range, with some sneaky rides available in between. I'm nn Wollongong these days but grew up at Jervis Bay. Must say I usually tour/trip to the south rather than the north. Sydney traffic and the slab to Newcastle don't really do it for me!

Hey Scotty, Yeah we have some good ones around, lots of different little ways across the dividing range, with some sneaky rides available in between. I'm nn Wollongong these days but grew up at Jervis Bay. Must say I usually tour/trip to the south rather than the north. Sydney traffic and the slab to Newcastle don't really do it for me!

I'd have to agree with you about that:
Sydney traffic and the slab to Newcastle don't really do it for me!

I used to strangely enjoy a run up or down the freeway, but not any more. A lot of the roads up here are so old and full of holes...

I reckon there are some great roads all over NSW. Yesterday I did the Putty (had to go back and do the 10 mile twice!!) then west to Denman and south on the Bylong Way (which is now completely sealed) through Rylstone and home to the beautiful Blue Mountains. Just north of Newcastle is a veritable playground with the Wotton Way, Thunderbolts, the Oxley Hwy etc.

I could go on but to get back to the jist of the thread I read this in todays SMH. Seems like the revenue raising is being notched up. :mad:

Speeding motorists to the rescue GEESCHE JACOBSEN
June 9, 2010
.MORE mobile speed cameras will double the revenue the state government collects in fines over the next two years.

While the government expects to raise $291 million in fines this financial year, this should rise to $428 million in 2010-11 and $570 million the next year. The budget papers attribute the increase to the "mobile speed camera program and a 5 per cent increase in speeding fines".

It's the mobile speed cameras that worry me.

Cheers Bluey

I'll have to check out Wotton Way and maybe the Oxley. I'd love to ride Thunderbolts, but I did it southbound in a car a few years back coming home from brisbane and thought it would be to dangerous on a bike... I know some parts of it would be AWESOME but some parts are just deadly...

As for the revenue raising, just typical!!!!! Shall we bend over now and take it up the bot bot Christina???

Back