which GPS to buy?

What GPS do you guys recommend for the gen 2 fz1??
which mount??
thanks.

Although I haven't picked up my mount as of yet, all my buds swear by their RAM Mounting System. They are extremely sturdy and well built and hold up very well to the weather. You can find them on the web. As for the unit itself, many love the Garmin units (which I own), as well as the Tom Tom serires. My Garmin 250W is not the motorcycle version (weatherproof), however I don't ever ride in the rain if I can help it. There are also the units with Bluetooth now so you can get your voice directions to an earpiece as well as music from your MP3 player.

I have a RAM mount with the wide Aquabox. I run a Nuvi 765T GPS but to do it again, I would get the Zumo 550 or 660. As a matter of fact, next year's bonus? 660 for sure!

I like the 765T but here's my issue: It will not sync with my Scala Q2 bluetooth helmet kit. So, to listen to the GPS, I have to transmit on FM and receive on the Scala's FM. No problem right? Not! When paired with the wife while she is on her bike, FM is a lower priority than conversation so I don't get to hear the GPS and have to watch it at every turn to start gearing up for the next turn.

The 550 and 660 would override conversation and break comms for me to get direction, then resume comms so I can let her know we are turning.

Hope that helps a bit... :D

Just like Billy said I have the RAM mount and a non-weatherproof Garmin Nuvi 350 and I'm delighted with the set-up. The motorcycle version 550/650 is primo but if you're strapped for money you may want to think twice because its 2-3 times the price of a Nuvi 200 or 350. Creative members use baggies and rubber bands if it rains or, like me, just take it off.

This is my ram mount, essentially. The Aquabox allows you to still use the touch screen but I can also tell you that you really should get a second power cord for the GPS since this box really locks the cord into the back and it's not easily removable.

ramb149zaq6.jpg

This is my ram mount, essentially. The Aquabox allows you to still use the touch screen but I can also tell you that you really should get a second power cord for the GPS since this box really locks the cord into the back and it's not easily removable.

ramb149zaq6.jpg

Thats a sweet setup! I'm definitely going to have my RAM mount before leaving for the races in September.

that aquabox is cool. thanks for the replies guys:rmwl:
i was kinda hoping i couuld get away with the auto version, like the nuvi 200.

That shouldn't be a problem. As said above, if your really worried about rain, a ziplok bag upside down with a rubberband could get you out of a flash storm and its simple to store the baggie under the seat.

I can vouch for the Aquabox... I was in a couple downpours and the unit never saw a drop of water. :D

Keep in mind that a lot of the less expensive models do not offer route planning. I was caught unaware with my first purchase of the Nuvi 265WT and it had it all EXCEPT route planning. What that means is, you can tell it where you want to go (say NH to TN) but not to TN VIA Scranton, PA because it will take the direct route. Now, you can tell it to go to Scranton, PA and then stop, punch in a new place and tell it to go to TN.

With routes, you can set waypoints and have it guide you from A to Z with all the points in between. Valuable on a motorcycle. :D

Back