Which track day tire?

Dreamdemon

Hi guys and girls,

wanted to know what track day tire you would suggest. Last year I did my first track day at Laguna Secca and had BT16 Pros. They were ok but I felt that they were some times a bit over stressed. I ran 30/30 pressure by recommendation of the tire guy at the track. They turned just slightly blue at the edge in the last sessions, so overheated but the gain of pressure was about 7-8psi as it should be.

Anyway this time I go for two days and wanted to have a tire that I can not push to it's limits. I was thinking about BT-003s or Dunlop Q3. Both should be better than the 16 Pros and are about the same price. I buy them for the track but I will finish them afterwards on the street. Well, mainly looking for the very sporty qualities.

Did you set your pressures hot or cold. Always set them hot off the track. Given the option of the 003 and the Q3 personally I'd go with with the Q3's. Everyone likes a different feel and the 003's are not for me. My favorites are the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's but they do cost more. I like a softer more flexible carcass and that is what Pirelli delivers. The Q's have a stiffer carcasswhich equals less feed back. note the grip is very compare able. Its more a preference in feel.

I REALLY like my Dunlop D211 that I ran last year. Like a cat on carpet.

I have a set Q3's now but I haven't mounted them or have a track day scheduled.

Did you set your pressures hot or cold. Always set them hot off the track. Given the option of the 003 and the Q3 personally I'd go with with the Q3's. Everyone likes a different feel and the 003's are not for me. My favorites are the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's but they do cost more. I like a softer more flexible carcass and that is what Pirelli delivers. The Q's have a stiffer carcasswhich equals less feed back. note the grip is very compare able. Its more a preference in feel.

Thanks a lot, I set the pressure when cold and measured again when off the track. It was a rather cool day but getting hotter in the afternoon. Next time I will check more often the pressure. Last time I just noticed after the last session that the tire was a bit blue on the edge but there was not that much cold tear hence I thought it might have overheated a bit. Well I have not much experience with reduced tire pressure up to now.

I like the harder carcases more, it is easier for me to set up the suspension at least on the track. Maybe I try the Q3 this time sounds like I would prefer them.

Yeah the prirelli are good but cost quite a bit more. I have no problem investing 250$ for proper track tires but they are only for a weekend so I would like to keep it in this price range. On the street I use the Pirelli Angle GT and like them very much.

Ok I finally went with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa. Talked to some friends and they all said that without tire warmers the Rosso Corsa would be fast warm and better while the Q3 would take another round. Well each lap on the track costs money and so I decided to go for the Corsa was anyway only 50$ more.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I just installed a set of super corsa's on my track bike (r6) they are to date the best tire I have used, extreme lean angles and traction feel so much more confident in the corners with these tires, ya they don't last long but well worth the investment.

Ok I finally went with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa. Talked to some friends and they all said that without tire warmers the Rosso Corsa would be fast warm and better while the Q3 would take another round. Well each lap on the track costs money and so I decided to go for the Corsa was anyway only 50$ more.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Back