Will 08 or 2010 fz1 wheels fit my 09 r1??

What's up guys. I have an 09 R1 and I'd like to get the bright gold wheels that came on the 2008 and 2010 fz1's. Does anyone know if they will fit. They look identical but have different part numbers. Thanks guys

Can't say with certainty, but looking at the part numbers it does look like they would fit. The only difference I see is the last digits and these seem to signify the color. I know the 04-06 R1 wheels are interchangeable with the Gen II FZ1. Another option is to have your current wheels powdercoated a similar gold color, but of course that would entail some downtime.

I just stripped my wheels yesterday on a Gen. 1 and I'm not really liking the look of them, they turned out like Z1000 Kawi wheels with the center painted and lips bare. It will take another round of 'stripping' to get 'ALL' paint removed, as the center and spokes is somehow harder powder-coat. It actually apears there was some combo application when they initally PC'd them??? At any rate, I'll finish stripping them and probably re-coat them as it's the hardest surface that will stand an outdoor environment, even if I do park indoors always. Anyway, I'm rambeling, the point I was about to make was that, looking for powdercoaters in the area, I found one fairly close so the down time would only be a week or so. They have a variety of parts costs listed, anything from frames and swingarms to wheels. The typical cost of wheels PC'd ran from $90 to $110 or thereabouts, thats each wheel.

All was not for naught, as the wheels had the beginnings of corroding ie. pitting. Though very minor and sandable to remove, they would have become astheticly ruined with another year/season of allowing the corrosian to continue. Facing the co$t of new wheels, it might be easier and more cost effective to re-PC to the color your looking for.

You can have any color

Just remove the wheels and get them painted. You can have any color that you like and then you know they will fit. It is the cheapest option with the least down time. Powder coat is of course better because it is so tough and durable, but takes longer because the wheels have to be stripped first. But even that can be done in a day if you arrange it with the powder coating shop ahead of time and take the tires, etc. off the wheels yourself. Comes down to how bad do you want it.

Just remove the wheels and get them painted. You can have any color that you like and then you know they will fit. It is the cheapest option with the least down time. Powder coat is of course better because it is so tough and durable, but takes longer because the wheels have to be stripped first. But even that can be done in a day if you arrange it with the powder coating shop ahead of time and take the tires, etc. off the wheels yourself. Comes down to how bad do you want it.

The major thing to remember with powdercoating is that you will need to remove the wheel bearings and seals (in addition to the tires and air valve). Unless you have the right tools for the job you can end up damaging the bearing or seals, which will then require an additional investment to correct.

r6 wheels are not as wide. I just wish the factory wheels would fit my r1 since I can get them for free!!! I really think it would work tho for some reason

I was just lookin at getting a front wheel, i got small dent in mine and a crack is forming. I want to change it before i start up for the season. I know some of the r1 and fz1 wheels are the same. Every # in the p.n.

Well then, as you say "every # in the p.n." That would tell me then that there were multiple applications reguardless of year overlap, wher the premier bike 'R1-R6' carried over some years after to the FZ1. It would appear that if parts numbers coenside that their the same wheel.......Gen. 1 being a 180-55-17 are you running 180's or 190's? the R6 would have run only the 180's and be 1/2" narrower than the wheels used for the 190's on later FZ1's ?? and all R1's 'dragnby' makes the point that has to be examined, the width, you need a 6" wheel.

yep! Lol I had the wheels next to each other today. They look identical in every way. So we will see once I get some time to try to bolt it up

Well then, as you say "every # in the p.n." That would tell me then that there were multiple applications reguardless of year overlap, wher the premier bike 'R1-R6' carried over some years after to the FZ1. It would appear that if parts numbers coenside that their the same wheel.......Gen. 1 being a 180-55-17 are you running 180's or 190's? the R6 would have run only the 180's and be 1/2" narrower than the wheels used for the 190's on later FZ1's ?? and all R1's 'dragnby' makes the point that has to be examined, the width, you need a 6" wheel.

Back