Will more preload help?

ecruz

Sometimes I'll take both hands off the bars for a few seconds to stretch my hands, no big deal. I even do this with my wife on the back. She weighs about 115 lbs, again no big deal.

Well, I've recently installed Givi side and top cases. The cases and all of the hardware weigh only 55 lbs. But now if I loosen my grip on the bar, while riding by myself with the cases on & empty, the front end begins to instantly shake. Why is that? Is it because the weight is farther back & it's making the front end too light? Is it the aerodynamics? Would adding more rear preload help? I'm kind of baffled.

I think you should try one more notch on the preload in the rear. The front end is lighter with the new luggage, which is reducing the weight on the front tire.

Could the cause be non-symmetrical aerodynamics ?
Even if the bags look identical, small differences may cause different eddies to form in the back with corresponding pressure forces that may shake the bike.

You can test the weight distribution theory by putting a sand bag over the tank and riding.
Good luck.

Does your wife plus luggage weight combined heavier than you?

I'd agree with PapaG' check your rear suspension settings and make it right for the weight. You're probably crushing that spring and the bike is attempting to balance on the rear wheel.

If you gained ~150-160lbs... you'd add way more than 1 notch on the rear preload. Bump it up to max preload and back off from that only if you are bouncing off the spring on road bumps.

If that doesn't work then gain weight, so you keep the center of gravity between the axles. :p

(I weigh ~250lbs before I put on gear and luggage, I'm very familiar with exceeding max preload well before I ever think about a passenger.)

Hi ecruz, Dont take your hands off the handle bars as you have no control, look mum no hands, look mum no feet, look mum no teeth!

Back