YZF-R3 -- 321cc sportbike. USA-bound, too!

I do about 10-15 Track days a year (depends on weather, I hate rain). Though I HAVE taken the FZ1 to the track (had fun at Mid Ohio once on it), I normally use a CBR600RR for Track Days, and use the FZ1 for two-up rides with the wife.

I find the 600 a much more rewarding ride on the track, specially when I can pass many guys on 1000cc bikes with it. It forces me to keep momentum and use the correct line in corners. Its very rewarding to pass someone who has 50-80 hp on you by using better technique :squid:

That's one reason I will add that Yamaha 320 to my stable.

It won't be strictly a Track Bike, but that's where it will spend most of its life, and while not as fast as the 600, it will be just as fun if not more because of its light weight. I also won't freak out if I drop it, because I won't have that much cash invested in it.

I think it'll be a VERY fun bike :sport12:

Last edited:
If my commute was mostly highway, I'd not use this bike but I'm mostly a back-roads rider when I commute and this would be a great bike to ride these roads. Also great for shorter trips and around-town stuff. And as Dustin stated, "It's dead sexy!"

It will get you a ticket, it is fast enough! :Rockon:

Oh no! Another Yamaha with a "headlight out" that needs a light mod! You'd think they learned with the FZ6? No kidding, I was stopped by the police for a headlight out before modding it for dual low-beams. I had to explain to the cop that the bike was designed that way and he nearly refused to believe me.

Regardless, I like this little bike and still wouldn't mind it for daily commuting! Great review Dustin. Thanks!

I find it hard to get excited about a 250,300,321 cc whatever.

Maybe back when I was learning how to ride, I might have cared.

Good fun for newbies I suspect but give me a thou any day.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I agree. Especially since I don't live remotely close to a city with traffic. "Commuting" to work on a 300cc bike doesn't interest me even a little bit. And since I have room for only one bike in my garage.....it will never be a entry level bike like this.

Back