16t sprocket's performance?

I just did the 16 tooth mod today. Feels much better. I didn't use a Yamaha sprocket though. It's a JT brand from the local bike shop for $19. I still have the stock exhaust and I was expecting to hear more chain noise by not using a Yamaha coated sprocket. No extra noise at all:eek:. My '07 only has 680 miles so maybe the stock chain hasn't worn a certain way yet??:confused0024: No complaints...this is how the bike should have been geared from the stables.

I just did the 16 tooth mod today. Feels much better. I didn't use a Yamaha sprocket though. It's a JT brand from the local bike shop for $19. I still have the stock exhaust and I was expecting to hear more chain noise by not using a Yamaha coated sprocket. No extra noise at all:eek:. My '07 only has 680 miles so maybe the stock chain hasn't worn a certain way yet??:confused0024: No complaints...this is how the bike should have been geared from the stables.

Yea, could very well be that due to the low mileage your chain and sprocket weren't really worn at all. For the difference in price I went with the rubber coated OEM one from a Gen 1 FZ1. I think it was $20.xx, but I bought it online along with a bunch of other parts so shipping didn't really factor too much in the overall price.

I agree about the gearing. I recently rode a 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 and it was geared the same way as our FZ1s with the 16T sprocket, but right from the factory. Was very responsive around town and on the highway no matter what gear you were in.

I Also have riden my mates 2010 Z1000, nice bike. He went up one tooth on the front to give it better cruising rpm's. I think the standard is 16/38 or something. With only a 15ltr tank he is going to need it. He is also pulling in around the 200km a tank full. I myself have a 16t waiting to go on the front and soon 2 brand new tyres. Choosing between bridgestone & mich 2ct which i have at the moment & hopefully a new tune and a proper calibration on the speedo healer i got last week. Just have to wait for the local bike doctor to finish he holidays. DOH!!!!

New chain with sprocket change?

Just a few quick questions...
#1: If I change from stock 17/45 to the "recommended" 16/47 (-1/+2), will I need a new (longer) chain?
#2: I'm learning to do basic wheelies so should I stay with 530 or is it okay to go to a lighter weight 520 setup?
#3: Lastly, will this sprocket change allow me to do wheelies at a lower RPM or simply at a lower speed but needing the same high RPM?
Thank you.

#1: If I change from stock 17/45 to the "recommended" 16/47 (-1/+2), will I need a new (longer) chain?
#2: I'm learning to do basic wheelies so should I stay with 530 or is it okay to go to a lighter weight 520 setup?
#3: Lastly, will this sprocket change allow me to do wheelies at a lower RPM or simply at a lower speed but needing the same high RPM?
Thank you.

#1 Stock chain will work fine with the 16/47 combo.

#2 For the street I really don't see the point of going to a 520 setup on a liter bike. Most people see accelerated chain and sprocket wear with the 520 vs the 530.

#3 Well theoretically it should happen at a lower RPM since there is greater torque multiplication.

Along the lines of his question, will you have to remove any links? It's going to be more baggy now going from a 17 to a 16T? I'm fixin to do this mod, so I thought I'd jump on this bandwagon. :)

Along the lines of his question, will you have to remove any links? It's going to be more baggy now going from a 17 to a 16T? I'm fixin to do this mod, so I thought I'd jump on this bandwagon. :)

The rear wheel will sit further back when you swap out the 17T for the 16T, but there is still plenty of adjustment range so no need to remove any links from the chain.

Thank you.

I run 520 16/47, it is awesome do this asap to your FZ1. It is like riding a new bike 100% grin factor and still nice cruising. Ps use steel sprockets not aluminium.

FYI...Today I put a 47 tooth sprocket on my stock 2006 FZ1. The stock chain wasn't even close to being able to fit even with the wheel pushed full forward. I put the stock sprocket back on and put a 16 tooth on the front. I have no doubt that the stock chain still won't fit if I try the 47T again. I will buy another chain (and chain tool).

Do you think a 130 link chain will be big enough?

Also, while STOCK, I had a -5% error on the Speedo (checked with a GPS). After the 16T was put on, it was about a -10% error. This is pretty much exactly what should happen according to the on-line calculators on the websites that sell the Speedo Healer and SpeedoDrd. Interestingly, after the 16T was put on, I had about the same speed indicated on my bike at 3000 and 3500 RPM as I did stock (47mph @ 3000 rpm and 53mph @ 3500 rpm although as mentioned above, the GPS numbers changed from 5% error to 10% error.

Lastly, my initial subjective feel with the 16T was not really noticeable from stock. I hope after driving it a bit more, I will notice it out in town. I also hope to notice the difference when going to the 47T in back. Sorry for being lengthy here but again my real only question now is will 130 links be a long enough chain? THank you!

Lastly, my initial subjective feel with the 16T was not really noticeable from stock. I hope after driving it a bit more, I will notice it out in town. I also hope to notice the difference when going to the 47T in back. Sorry for being lengthy here but again my real only question now is will 130 links be a long enough chain? Thank you!

Well stock is 122 links so 130 links should be enough, especially if you're keeping the 16T sprocket up front. You might even end up having to shorten it.

Thanks! I know a lot of guys seem to be running 16/47 on their FZ1s so I should have just asked those guys how long the chain must be. Would it be more economical to buy the chain & tool myself and do it or bring it to a bike shop and have them do it?
Thanks again.

Thanks! I know a lot of guys seem to be running 16/47 on their FZ1s so I should have just asked those guys how long the chain must be. Would it be more economical to buy the chain & tool myself and do it or bring it to a bike shop and have them do it?
Thanks again.

Well a good chain breaker/riveting tool is not cheap. It'll cost you about the same as what a shop is going to charge you for the job, but you'll have it for the future. Plus it will be a good learning experience for you ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Still hoping to hear from someone running 16/47 to see how many chain links they have.
Thanks again.

Wait, Falcon, the stock chain fit the stock rear sprocket, and a 16T in the front correct? I'm not changing the back, just the front, so that info would be helpful to me. :) thank you!

Wait, Falcon, the stock chain fit the stock rear sprocket, and a 16T in the front correct? I'm not changing the back, just the front, so that info would be helpful to me. :) thank you!

I (along with many other here) are using the stock chain with the 16T front and the stock rear sprocket.

Absolutely. THe stock rear and 16T front works fine with the stock chain. I just want to make sure 130 links if enough for a 16T front and 47T back.

Yeah, what's the verdict? I also want to do the 16/47 combo, but was hoping to just reuse my stock chain.

I'm planning on using an OEM 2005 16t front sprocket... anyone have any recommendations for a 47t steel rear sprocket?

Works fine! It just lengthens the wheel base slightly but works without any other changes.

Back