2/8/12

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Today on this day is worth noting for it has been over long overdue.

I'm going down, with trailer, to finally go pick up my bike and bring it up here to its new home.

The only thing that has mean tad bit worried is loading it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can't give you any tips on the loading exept one:

Don't drop your bike

PS: Good luck with the haul and have fun with it.

Wait a minute Doc! You built a Time machine? this is heavy!

Anyhow you need to strap it down in 2011 the same way you would in 2012. Be sure to not over compess the front end but be sure to have a decent bite. and make sure the back is pulled down to keep it from hopping up.

Also if you dont have soft straps. or canyon dancer then just watch your straps touching your paint and anyother sopt you dont want rubbed off.

Last edited:
If the truck bed is tall find a raised area like a loading ramp or a high curb to back the truck up to. Makes loading easier.

Use two ramps, one to walk up and the other for the bike.

Use ratcheting tiedowns and wrap around the risers so they won't slip. Tie from the bars to the front lower corners of the bed. (hopefully there's cleats in the bottom corners of the bed) Let the bike's suspension work

Put the bike straight in, put the tires between the ribs in the bed. Give the bike a good shake before you roll. Make sure it won't move.

Get some help.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'll be solo.

Will Jack up front end of trailer to bring the arse end down a bit lower and see if I can make it work with the trailer ramps, or look at seeing if the shop close by will lend me their ramp if a longer is needed (and the spacing is too great for me to load safely)

Unfortunately, I'll be solo.

Will Jack up front end of trailer to bring the arse end down a bit lower and see if I can make it work with the trailer ramps, or look at seeing if the shop close by will lend me their ramp if a longer is needed (and the spacing is too great for me to load safely)

The shop guys should help you load.

One of these videos is not like the other...

:shaking head: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-AHbFCMpLA]Motorcycle Loading Fail - YouTube[/ame]
:eyebrow: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmaVlJmHgGc]Loading Motorbike Epic Fail - YouTube[/ame]
:nono: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jVdyHr5Eo]FAIL- How not to load your motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]
:hellno: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPu6YwitIRo]Motorcycle load FAIL! - YouTube[/ame]
:shine: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQs--vL25A]It's packing time...Loading the RR up a Ramp!! - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck. I hope it all goes well!

I guess the take away from watching those videos is...don't ride your bike up the ramp! And really by yourself trying to load a heavy bike usually leads to trouble.

I will be towing a bike today (and Lee's FZ next week hopefully) and was wondering where the best place to hook the straps up to the front of the bike is. As someone said here, the risers seem good but what if the bike has clip-ons?

I will be towing a bike today (and Lee's FZ next week hopefully) and was wondering where the best place to hook the straps up to the front of the bike is. As someone said here, the risers seem good but what if the bike has clip-ons?

You can also strap it around the fork tubes, above the bottom triple tree. Just be careful with the angle of the strap, especially if the bike has a full fairing.

Is there any issue with looping the hook into the strap and around whatever I'm hooking up?

I don't like using that method only because it can come undone. Best to use a small strap with two eyelets in it. Wrap that around whatever you want and then attach the hooks from the strap into the eyelet.

You can see what I'm talking about in the picture below. I've circled it in yellow. This was when I towed my Hawk home and had no issues whatsoever.

attachment.php

I load all my bikes by myself. I ride my dirtbikes into the bed of of my 4x4 Nissan Titan. The FZ1 does not get ridden into the truck. My driveway is sloped so I back the tuck up to the driveway to effectively lower the bed height. I place a crate or step-stool near the back of the truck to allow me to step up to keep control of the throttle, clutch and front brake. From thiere I simply let the bike do the work. Unloading the FZ1 out of the truck is where I need help.

I use soft tie straps around the lower triple clamp to tie down my FZ1. A couple more on the back and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
I have always loaded and unloaded my bikes by myself onto my truck.

I put the truck in the street and back it up to the curb until the rear wheels touch the curb. I load the bike coming out of the yard using an 8' ramp. This drops the height considerably, but the dicey part is always the step up onto the truck bed with the bike, it just takes a little momentum.

Loading my CBR600 is harder than the FZ1 due to the difference in the handlebars and the leverage.

I'd find someone who can help guide the FZ1 onto the truck if this is your 1st time loading it.

Well, I got everything ready, but my help was nowhere to be found for me to get it loaded.

But she is going home with me in the AM :cool:

Back