2002 FZ1 for my first bike

Hello members,

I just bought a 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and it was delivered yesterday. I no little to no motorcycle riding experience. I've rod a 150cc scooter that doesn't have the shifting like this bike.

The FZ1 has 42K miles...I paid $2800 on Craigslist. I keep reading in forums that I may get kill riding this bike as my first bike because its heavy (I agreed) and a lot of power. THIS IS MAKING ME VERY NERVOUS...AND THINKING ABOUT SELLING IT FOR SAME PRICE OR A LITTLE HIGHER SINCE THE BIKE IS IN ALMOST NEW CONDITION.

I'll be taking MSF class in a few weeks before even attempting to start the bike. Any suggestion.

Hello members,

I just bought a 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and it was delivered yesterday. I no little to no motorcycle riding experience. I've rod a 150cc scooter that doesn't have the shifting like this bike.

The FZ1 has 42K miles...I paid $2800 on Craigslist. I keep reading in forums that I may get kill riding this bike as my first bike because its heavy (I agreed) and a lot of power. THIS IS MAKING ME VERY NERVOUS...AND THINKING ABOUT SELLING IT FOR SAME PRICE OR A LITTLE HIGHER SINCE THE BIKE IS IN ALMOST NEW CONDITION.

I'll be taking MSF class in a few weeks before even attempting to start the bike. Any suggestion.

I personally wou the recommend it for a first bike but there's guys that have done it. I'd say since ya got it give it a go, just respect the power...

Take the course and go from there but honestly for a first bike it is a bit of overkill (no pun intended). If you have self control and throttle control you will learn and enjoy but I would never recommend a litre bike as a first bike for what's it worth.

Thanks Sebastian. Would a 3 day in basic rider course be enough for me to ride this FZ1? I'm definitely respecting its power (actually scare is more like it) :).

Thanks Sebastian. Would a 3 day in basic rider course be enough for me to ride this FZ1? I'm definitely respecting its power (actually scare is more like it) :).

Not really, but it's like anything else tho the more you do it the better ya get. Don't worry about going fast. Worry about learning how to ride it being fast will come with knowing how to ride.
I'm not by any means "good" rider I'd probably get my butt kicked at a track. However I usually outride the supersports I've ridden with. I think a lot of that was due to having a bike that wasn't fast so I just learned to ride it.
Watch some videos take classes and see if you can tag along with a good rider. I've learned a lot from just watching the guy in front of me, even if it's what not to do...

Not really, but it's like anything else tho the more you do it the better ya get. Don't worry about going fast. Worry about learning how to ride it being fast will come with knowing how to ride.
I'm not by any means "good" rider I'd probably get my butt kicked at a track. However I usually outride the supersports I've ridden with. I think a lot of that was due to having a bike that wasn't fast so I just learned to ride it.
Watch some videos take classes and see if you can tag along with a good rider. I've learned a lot from just watching the guy in front of me, even if it's what not to do...

I'm not looking to race or anything like that...the reason I'm getting into biking because its a lot of fun and when I'm good enough, I would like to commute to work on highway during bumper to bumper traffic jam. I can also use the carpool lane without getting ticket...that reminds me, I have to mail in $490 for driving in a carpool lane.

Take the course and go from there but honestly for a first bike it is a bit of overkill (no pun intended). If you have self control and throttle control you will learn and enjoy but I would never recommend a litre bike as a first bike for what's it worth.

Do you have to use the word KILL? I will take yours and other advice to take the basic riding class and give this FZ1 a shot and see if I can handle it.

I don't think it is the best bike for a first timer, but it has its plusses. The seating position is similar to the CBR250/500. The brakes are awesome as well. The suspension is pliable enough for a beginner.

The only issues are the weight and power. Both are best dealt with by being smooth and graceful with your controls. I like to tell new riders that if you jerk a bike, it'll jerk you harder. If you are smooth with it, it will save your butt when you think you've lost it. Just remember your moving a big bike with lots of power and you'll be fine.

Traffic sucks! I like my little CBR250 for my commute for just that reason. I have 25miles at 60+ then the last 5 or so in traffic. A big bike can really get you there. Your clutch hand will be sore for sure the first few times. None the less the power to escape, the handling to avoid, and the brakes to stop trouble are all in your bike.

I don't think it is the best bike for a first timer, but it has its plusses. The seating position is similar to the CBR250/500. The brakes are awesome as well. The suspension is pliable enough for a beginner.

The only issues are the weight and power. Both are best dealt with by being smooth and graceful with your controls. I like to tell new riders that if you jerk a bike, it'll jerk you harder. If you are smooth with it, it will save your butt when you think you've lost it. Just remember your moving a big bike with lots of power and you'll be fine.

Traffic sucks! I like my little CBR250 for my commute for just that reason. I have 25miles at 60+ then the last 5 or so in traffic. A big bike can really get you there. Your clutch hand will be sore for sure the first few times. None the less the power to escape, the handling to avoid, and the brakes to stop trouble are all in your bike.

Thanks for your input GDCPONY. I started out wanting to buy an old Kawasaki 250 going for $2500, but my boss and co-worker told me that I should consider getting at least a 750cc because I'm 6' and 180lbs. They said I will outgrow the 250cc very fast and will have to buy a stronger bike. And that's how I ended up buying this 998cc monster.

But like other said, I can learn as long as I take it easy and learn all the control of this bike.

Looks like it still has the factory tail and blinkers on it so maybe there hasn't been much modding to it. Great find. Need to get over being scared of it and have a little confidence in yourself. Never even put a rider on the back of mine that's scared of it. Start slow, this bike has enough power to pull away and go through a few gears without even touching the throttle so find an empty lot just to ride around and get the feel of it.

Here are my recommendations:
1. Stay out of the throttle. Be very gentle with the right wrist. A small movement can surge you forward rapidly, so be careful.
2. To me the bike will not turn very sharply in slow parking lot situations. Compared to the MSF course bike, I would bet that the FZ1 steering hits the locks quite early. Therefore do not turn around in a parking lot, unless there is lots of space. Otherwise, just slowly walk the bike around with your feet touching the ground to maintain balance.
3. Take all turns and corners very slowly. The FZ1 will handle curves very well, but this is an area where many beginning riders get into trouble - entering a corner at too much speed.
4. Wear full protective riding gear at all times.

Now the FZ1 is a fantastic motorcycle. Yours looks extremely nice. Just be very careful with it and enjoy !

Last edited:
Here are my recommendations:
1. Stay out of the throttle. Be very gentle with the right wrist. A small movement can surge you forward rapidly, so be careful.
2. To me the bike will not turn very sharply in slow parking lot situations. Compared to the MSF course bike, I would bet that the FZ1 steering hits the locks quite early. Therefore do not turn around in a parking lot, unless there is lots of space. Otherwise, just slowly walk the bike around with your feet touching the ground to maintain balance.
3. Take all turns and corners very slowly. The FZ1 will handle curves very well, but this is an area where many beginning riders get into trouble - entering a corner at too much speed.
4. Wear full protective riding gear at all times.

Now the FZ1 is a fantastic motorcycle. Yours looks extremely nice. Just be very careful with it and enjoy !

I will keep that in mind. I haven't event start this bike so I don't know how the throttle will response. But I will respect it and be careful.

I'm sorry. I don't necessarily agree with others that say go for it. As a beginner rider you are going to make beginners mistakes. You will drop the bike in a parking lot, go into a turn too fast, accidentally give it too much throttle, etc...
With such a big, heavy, fast bike, the possibility of you getting seriously hurt are very good. At the very least you may get frustrated and feel the sport is not for you and give up on it all together.

My advice to you is to leave the FZ1 in your living room for now. Go back on Craig's list and find something much smaller and lighter and with a lot less power to learn how to ride. Take the MSF course, or even go to a driving school and take some lessons. Learn as much as you can. When you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, then and only then would I recommend you take out the FZ1. Trust me. You will thank me later.

Great advice

I'm sorry. I don't necessarily agree with others that say go for it. As a beginner rider you are going to make beginners mistakes. You will drop the bike in a parking lot, go into a turn too fast, accidentally give it too much throttle, etc...
With such a big, heavy, fast bike, the possibility of you getting seriously hurt are very good. At the very least you may get frustrated and feel the sport is not for you and give up on it all together.

My advice to you is to leave the FZ1 in your living room for now. Go back on Craig's list and find something much smaller and lighter and with a lot less power to learn how to ride. Take the MSF course, or even go to a driving school and take some lessons. Learn as much as you can. When you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, then and only then would I recommend you take out the FZ1. Trust me. You will thank me later.

+1! Very sound advice the OP should think about.

Agreed completely.

a 2002 FZ1 was my first street bike.....

However I had a lot of experience riding dirt bikes as a teenager/early twenties, so jumping right onto a 1000cc was not a big deal for me.

I would recommend those riding courses for sure.

One thing with the FZ is you can ride it slow as long as you are able to balance the weight at slow speeds. You do not have to gas it everywhere, and you certainly do not have to take it on twisty mountain roads. In fact I would discourage doing that until you are very familiar with riding in general, it seems that is where new riders tend to get hurt the most. Too many new riders think they can just jump on and go ride a mountain road and still do not know the limits of the bike.

Check out the following youtube channel to see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse

Be safe!

a 2002 FZ1 was my first street bike.....

However I had a lot of experience riding dirt bikes as a teenager/early twenties, so jumping right onto a 1000cc was not a big deal for me.

I would recommend those riding courses for sure.

This is true. A friend of mine just picked up a Buell XB9R for his 16 year old son to ride with us. He has raced 250cc MX for a couple years and can handle the Buell but he is still going to have to take the MSF course in order to get his license. He has good handling skills but not street skills.

Also the Buell is way down on HP from the FZ but only 50 pounds lighter (approximately) than the FZ1.

Back