2004 FZ1 For Sale - New owner seeking advice and feedback from the community

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 FZ1 SOLD! - Thanks for the help.

Greetings to the community. My name is Brannen and I am new to the forum. I recently purchased my first FZ1. Let me start by saying that my intention here is to solicit advice on my bike as I try to sell it locally (If you would like to see my ad, it is listed in the Eastern North Carolina Craigslist section, search for 2004 FZ1 and you should be able to find it.).

Your forums and information were an invaluable resource for me as I learned about these bikes and what they have to offer (as well as common problems and solutions). I really do love this bike, it has great power, it's very comfortable, and it definitely doesn't look like anything else on the road. I can understand why these bikes have such a dedicated following. Unfortunately, I have to sell this one in order to fund some major purchases I need to make for my shop.

Firstly, I purchased the bike from a company called Copart. For those not familiar, Copart sells vehicles on behalf of insurance companies. Most are salvage titled vehicles with varying degrees of damage. Anyone can go on their website and find the occasional killer deal on a car, truck, bike, etc. This particular bike has a Salvage-Rebuilt title and, as far as I can tell, was a repossession. It was in great shape when I bought it with no apparent frame, body, or engine damage. I suspect the bike sat for a long period of time, just based on the dust, cobwebs, and slight rust on the chain which was present when I first picked it up. It just needed some TLC to get it back on the road.

I changed the oil, replaced the fuel pump and filter, replaced the ignition control relay, replaced the ignition switch (seller did not have the original keys to the bike), replaced the neutral switch, put in some fresh gas and fuel system cleaner (Z-max) and the bike started right up. I have since put about 50 miles on the bike and it runs better and better every time I take it out.

The tires, brakes, cooling system, engine, transmission, and electrical system are all in good working order. Tires are like new, brakes have around 50% life left. All lights, horn, indicators, etc. work properly.

The front fairing has been modified and cut down to give it the look it has now. It was like this when I bought it. It has no mirrors. The rear fender and turn signals were deleted. The rear turn signals were integrated into the brake lights. The brake and clutch levers appear to be aftermarket anodized aluminum levers, as is the gas cap. The dash has been replaced with an aftermarket unit showing around 15k miles. The speedo and tach work as well as all the indicators for turn signals, neutral, and high beam. The only thing not hooked up is the coolant temp sensor. The grab bars that bolt through the tail fairing are missing.

If you're still reading, thank you for your patience. I really appreciate any feedback I can get from the community. I currently have the bike listed for sale locally at $3,000 or best offer. Based on comparable bikes for sale in the area, I feel like this is a reasonable number. (For example, a local dealer has a mint condition 04 FZ1 w/ <2500 miles on it for $4,800 and there's an 02 FZ1 w/ 15k miles and clean title for $4k).

My biggest concern at this point is the chain and sprocket. I feel like the chain is too loose, but from what I've read, the slack is about right. Does anyone have advice? What else I should be concerned about? What else I should repair? What do you think of the price? Thank you for your help and feedback.

1899925_584819504942112_1099521534_n.jpg

For more pics, see the full album on my shop's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.584819478275448.1073741850.473153592775371&type=3

Last edited:
You're going to have to be in the 2s with a salvage title and all the third party stuff, particularly the gauges. That appears to be to be a theft recovery bike. JMO

To be completely honest, I'd only value that bike at $1500. Like T84A said, it's a theft recovery and doesn't even have the original gauges. It needs a tire, a chain and sprockets and maybe other things. Everything is rusty or faded. I've never seen a 10 year old bike with so much fade on the plastics. It looks worse than my friend's 1986 VFR with 55,000 miles on it

My .02 .... don't sell the bike. If you have the facilities, rip it to pieces and sell them separately. There's a good amount of money on that bike in levers, wheels, tank, etc... You'll get more for it as parts than as a whole bike with a salvage title.

Yes, I'm long-winded, but I'm an engineer, and I spent a few years writing technical manuals and documents for Northrup Grumman, sometimes I can't help myself. The faded look is, I believe, mostly an effect of the camera. In person, the bike really does have much more vivid colors. I definitely get your point about not having original gauges though. No telling how many miles are actually on this thing. But it runs so well and looks so good, I hate to just give it away. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback, I always appreciate constructive criticism.

I am looking for an FZ1 in either the Jacksonville, NC and NE OH areas, and salvage titles don't frighten me too much. However, I am looking at it and these:

2002 YAMAHA FZ-1 | Motorcycles for sale on Lejeune bookoo! (the one I am probably going to pick up)

2002 Yamaha FZ1 1,000cc 20k miles Fully Services Great Condition (Next close contender)

Both have clean titles, factory gauges, and the fairing. I think you will have to beat them on price by a good bit to be competitive. I do allot of shopping for Marines as an MMP Rep and would not point them towards you. Sorry, there is just allot of bikes out there that would be better bargains.

I know that might sting a lot and am sorry. I just wanted to let you know from a shopper who has seen your ads. Maybe if I looked at it in person (I'm 20min away) I could compare its condition to others I have looked at? But I doubt it would help too much. Sorry.

SOLD! - Thanks everyone for the input, it was nice to come to a forum where I got intelligent responses and not just a bunch of haters or trolls with nothing useful to add. No need to apologize, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good find on those two bikes, they do look nice. I hope one of them works out for you.

One last question though; Why do people seem to be so caught up on the fairing? I get that there are no mirrors. That's inconvenient, but an easy and cheap fix. I think it looks better with the custom fairing. Personal preference I suppose.

One last question though; Why do people seem to be so caught up on the fairing?

Congrats on the sale! To answer your question: I always find a bone stock bike more desirable than one with modifications. This is particularly true when the changes in question are related to body work. More often than not, people wind up doing naked conversions because they've had a crash and couldn't afford to bring the bike back to stock again. This is a bit of a stigma, of course

Last edited:
I agree with the above and with a salvage title, you must agree on that. Personally, I am looking for the wind protection and the looks. It is different for different folks.

Glad you got her sold.

One last question though; Why do people seem to be so caught up on the fairing? I get that there are no mirrors. That's inconvenient, but an easy and cheap fix.

Uhhhhhhhh.....no. Not an easy, cheap fix. OEM fairings are quite costly and I'll take it over whatever you got strapped to the forks presently. Glad you sold it for whatever to whomever. Good to be lucky.

Uhhhhhhhh.....no. Not an easy, cheap fix. OEM fairings are quite costly and I'll take it over whatever you got strapped to the forks presently. Glad you sold it for whatever to whomever. Good to be lucky.

Yes, fairings are expensive. I was actually referring to just the mirrors. The new owner already has a pair ordered. Plus he's like me, the custom (if one can call it that) fairing on it now is part of it's allure.

Lots of members here have taken perfectly good fairings off to go "naked". Personally I don't get that, but each to their own. The Naked bikes do look very nice from the factory, and when converted over and done well. It's all about personal taste, and I am glad that you found a buyer that liked what you had for sale.:Rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back