2006 fz1 engine need help

ok guys i have been doing alotof readin on here and even though i dont have a bke exactly i do hve a engine and i need some help from peole that actually know abut these to get me going. please dnt laugh but i aquired this engine to mount on a lawn mower. its a full custom frame with big truck tires on it. pretty much just for fun and to have something different. now back to what i was asking. i got a 2006 fz1 engine with a full wiring harness. now i need you guys to fill in the empty spaces for me. i need to know what else i am gonna need to get this thing running. i know i need a ecu and a fuel pump. i dont have the cluster or the ignition switch but is this neccessary to run? is there anyway to bypass the ignition switch with like a regular key switch or push button starter. well thanks for any input that can be given on this and if anyone is interested i can show some pics of what this monster lawn mower with 1000cc engine is gonna be like

Would love to see some pics ! I'm not sure about the ignition, but the FZ1 does have a safety kill switch for the kickstand and at the clutch lever so be aware of that.
I have a feeling you will probably need the gauge cluster plugged into the ECU for the bike to run but that's totally a hunch on my part.

You may want to get a service manual they have the wiring schematics ( try ebay )

Good luck !

thanks for a little help i was worried you guys would no show any interest and not give me any info. right now i am working on the rolling chassis should have it sittng on the tires in a few days and i will upload some pics for you all to see. any more info about this engine is greatly appreciated.

Take it from a guy that has built several cars from scratch.....

My concern is that having you even asking the question leads me to believe you may be in over your head. I would look for a complete engine wiring bundle with ECU. Otherwise you are in for a steep learning curve.

Andy

i got the header and radiator but no airbox. and i am very mechanically enclined that is not the problem, the problem is that i am not so familiar with the efi and minimum needed to make it run with the ecm. i will put the tires on it tonight and get a pic of what it is gonna look like.

here is a pic with the tires up beside it. the suspension and drive train is hung just needs alot mor bracing. this is pretty much what it will look like as a rolling chassis. now back to my engine, i really want to run this thing but i need it to be as cheap as possible. i do have the wiring harness. i have the engine, wiring harness, throttle cables, throttle bodies, ignition coils, fuel injectors and starter now i need to know at minimal what i need. i know i need a ecm, radiator and fan, high pressure fuel pump and sprocket for the trans. what i dont know is do i need the cluster and factory ignition switch. i am trying to decide if this is really the best way to go with this project or do i sell this engine and get a old style carbureted, air cooled engine and put this one for sale. thanks for all the interest and info given. i was afraid of being the laughing stock of this forum.

Would love to see some pics ! I'm not sure about the ignition, but the FZ1 does have a safety kill switch for the kickstand and at the clutch lever so be aware of that.
I have a feeling you will probably need the gauge cluster plugged into the ECU for the bike to run but that's totally a hunch on my part.

You may want to get a service manual they have the wiring schematics ( try ebay )

Good luck !

Additionally you'll probably need the logic module that interfaces between the safety switches and ECU. The ignition switch itself may pass voltages to the logic module to give the ECU the go signal. If it's like the FZ6 you could use use a double pole single throw for ignition. :cowboy:

The EFI setup and all the items needed with it will make this a lot more of a headache than a successful project. I'd seriously consider selling the '06 and getting the Gen I engine where it will be a lot easier to set up as a running machine.

Along with what you've bought, the airbox would be a benefit. The ECU is a must... then there's a bunch of sensors that need to be reading data correctly to even start the engine. Without the cluster, you'll not see what the error codes are thus not be able to troubleshoot/bypass the correct sensors.

Go carb and get the Gen I. You'll be "up on two" in no time!

Back