240 Mile Weekend to Lake Tahoe

Sactown2008

A friend with a 2001 Volusa (110,000 miles) and I did my 2nd long trip. Sacramento to Lake Tahoe on Hwy 80 last Friday. We returned home Sunday on Hwy 50. Lots of fun. Building up my skills on passing big rigs in the left lane on twisty uphill grades. HATE passing on the downhill twisties at 70mph, but that will come with more trips. It was easy for my buddy. He rides everyday it's NOT raining. I averaged 44mpg (no luggage. wives had that in a car).

Nice weekend to ride to Tahoe, I was in Truckee yesterday on the KTM.

Try looking farther ahead when passing at speed, eyes up the road will slow down whats happening and give you better control.

Screw the bigs rigs and pass them with authority your FZ1 has, the less time you spend next to them the safer you are.

You said it!

"Try looking farther ahead when passing at speed, eyes up the road will slow down whats happening and give you better control.

Screw the bigs rigs and pass them with authority your FZ1 has, the less time you spend next to them the safer you are."

YES! I have to stop looking right in front of the bike (the car in front of me).

THANK you for the tips.

It takes time to get your 'passing confidence'. Once you are comfortable with the bike's ability to make up huge distance in a very short time, you'll be passing like nobody's business. :) I went through the same thing when I started riding.

Learning to look way down the road is a skill you should practise constantly. It's the one tip that will make you better and safer at everything. Once you learn to trust your peripheral vision and focus at what's way down the road, your riding will smooth out and you'll feel way more confident.

I used to race and coach novices at autocross which is a bunch of cars driving around a tight course. The first and most valuable lesson was to teach them to stop staring right in front of them and learn to look 3 or 4 turns ahead. It was amazing to see the difference in speed, smoothness and control. The same applies to bikes and just about anything, really

Last edited:
Nice ride, Good info Dustin. This weekend I found my self clogged behind 3-4 car's. Looking out and waiting for the broken yellow line I just roll out, roll it on in 5th and see ya. These bikes do it with out thinking and that was at 55 mph.

Be safe, don't want to hit a corner to fast and go sailing off the road.

GREAT advice.

I used to race and coach novices at autocross which is a bunch of cars driving around a tight course. The first and most valuable lesson was to teach them to stop staring right in front of them and learn to look 3 or 4 turns ahead. It was amazing to see the difference in speed, smoothness and control. The same applies to bikes and just about anything, really

Thanks everyone.

If your friend's bike was a Suzuki Volusia - check that - it should have had about 45 horsepower. Your FZ has three times that power. If he passed with ease, learn from him and these guys tips - and you've got so much more power - it can be done so fast!

I agree with Dustin on this and would only add to drop down into 4th at least or 3rd even. I like to start a pass at 6000 rpm and rip it up to 10k. The nice thing is that with the high rpm when you come off the throttle the engine compression will help slow you back down

Tried THE LONG LOOK this week.

If your friend's bike was a Suzuki Volusia - check that - it should have had about 45 horsepower. Your FZ has three times that power. If he passed with ease, learn from him and these guys tips - and you've got so much more power - it can be done so fast!

Thanks guys. I have been trying this on Sacramento freeways this week (when they are not congested). Looking way down the road on long curves is SO MUCH easier than worrying about what is happening in front of the bike. Now if I can do it consistently. I have owned this Red Beast (my first running bike) since 2/12/12, so this will take awhile.

Anyone have favorite earplugs for the freeway? I wear the orange plugs on the blue cord from Home Depot. After too many days of wearing them, my ears are all plugged up. I might try some wax ones next. I still have the db killer in my Leo Vinci, but the pipe, the wind and freeway noise in my full-face AGV Creature helmet is what can be tiring. earplugs take the edge off.

:thewave:

Earplugs are a must. Permanent hearing damage can occur in a short time at speed without them.

I use these:
howard_leight_laser_lite_earplugs_1.jpg

I find them the most comfortable for me and they cut out a lot of noise. I can't ride without plugs

"Try looking farther ahead when passing at speed, eyes up the road will slow down whats happening and give you better control.

Screw the bigs rigs and pass them with authority your FZ1 has, the less time you spend next to them the safer you are."

YES! I have to stop looking right in front of the bike (the car in front of me).

THANK you for the tips.

No don't screw the big rigs, i'm a truck driver and take offense to that. Yes, you can pass us, but please make sure you do it on the left and make sure we can see you before you scream past. I'm a very safe driver and have almost ran over bikes before. Not because i wasn't paying attention. Turn on my blinker, check my mirrors and start moving over and someone with the attitude that their 500lbs bike has more authority on the roadway than my 80,000lbs rig runs up on my side. Even had them scream past on the right shoulder. Even on a 2 lane, move to the left of the lane where you can see the mirror on the truck for a second or two so we can spot you, then scream past. Every reaction we make in a big truck is slowed, we have to continuously plan 2 or 3 seconds ahead for every move we make. I actually prefer people to get around me quick, but don't want no surprises. I have had people stay beside me on the highway because my truck was blocking the sun, one good gust of wind or a tire blow and they would be dead. You ought to respect anyone else on the roadway no matter what they drive. Just gets on my nerves when you say screw the big rigs when if it wasn't for a big rig you wouldn't have the gas in your bike to be out anyway.

I always make an extra effort to beq courteous to trucks on the road. Those guys have a real tough job and a run in with one of those will result in instant death. I always make sure to proceed with caution; I stay well back of them and in view of their mirrors at all times, pass quickly and only on the left and make sure to leave them plenty of space when I change into their lane

One of my biggest pet peeves is trucks who linger in any lane but the right and especially if they are passing another truck at 1 MPH more than the other vehicle. Jmcculler662, why do I see this so often?

Last edited:
I always make an extra effort to beq courteous to trucks on the road. Those guys have a real tough job and a run in with one of those will result in instant death. I always make sure to proceed with caution; I stay well back of them and in view of their mirrors at all times, pass quickly and only on the left and make sure to leave them plenty of space when I change into their lane

One of my biggest pet peeves is trucks who linger in any lane but the right and especially if they are passing another truck at 1 MPH more than the other vehicle. Jmcculler662, why do I see this so often?

Companies, to save on fuel and because these driving schools just pump out people that really don't know what they are doing, Govern the trucks. Mostly the big companies. Some govern them at 68 and others at 65 and have seen some lower. If an 18 wheeler is averaging 7mpg it's doing real good. So it's worth it to the company. You add that in and some may be loaded heavier than others, the drivers shouldn't hold up traffic for 2 mph, should wait till the traffic passes. If they could go faster they would, the truck won't do it.

I remember the HS Driver's Edu. teacher saying "do not stay boxed in by other cars." Well on a bike at 65mph next to 80,000lbs of truck is just plan NUTS. I have friends with 40 years of highway riding who still get the creeps riding along side a big rig. Your tips of "looking down the road" really helps me NOT look at the cars and trucks I am trying to pass at 70mph. I'll have to try down shifting on a long 65pmh uphill, because my FZ1 pulls effortlessly in 6th. It's amazing that at 75mph on a flat section of Hwy 80 I was right at 5,000rpm. 4th and fifth must be another de-mention.

Back