26,000 mile valve adjustment

Has anyone done a walk-though video or DIY guide with pics on how to check these at home?

My 2002 is at 28k right now and I bought her with 16k a year n a half ago.

She runs great, idles well and gets on average 42-44mpg. I mostly use her for commuting on the freeway to and from work so the motor rarely sees revs above 7k.

If I had enough cajones to attempt this myself I would have loved to have made a video of the procedure. I don't think I have ever seen a video on YouTube.

If I had enough cajones to attempt this myself I would have loved to have made a video of the procedure. I don't think I have ever seen a video on YouTube.

Is it that hard just to check them? I know very little about adjusting valves, but it sounds like the maintenance suggestion is to just check them and only get them adjusted if needed.

Am I reading that correctly?

it's not hard to check them, you do need special feeler gauges though

hardest part is to take out the AIS ducts and you may need a new seal for the pick-up coil cover ( I reused mine with no leaks)

remember to blow some air where the water pipes go in the head, I also gave it some wd40

Is it that hard just to check them? I know very little about adjusting valves, but it sounds like the maintenance suggestion is to just check them and only get them adjusted if needed.

Its pretty easy to check. And not that hard to adjust if you take your time and pay attention. If you do check and need to adjust there's a pretty helpful write up over on the other forum.

There are some videos for other bikes that helped me. Its all the same procedure even tho it may look a little different. In a few years I'll make a video when I have to do it again lol now that I know what I'm doing

Oh no. I'm sure checking clearances is an easy procedure. Same as my scooter and the Honda V-Twin. My worries was when it came time that you had to make an adjustment. It's like anything else. If I had someone next to me that knew how to do it and showed me once, I'd never have to worry again. Like the first time I did my forks. Now it takes me 15 minutes each leg.

Oh no. I'm sure checking clearances is an easy procedure. Same as my scooter and the Honda V-Twin. My worries was when it came time that you had to make an adjustment. It's like anything else. If I had someone next to me that knew how to do it and showed me once, I'd never have to worry again. Like the first time I did my forks. Now it takes me 15 minutes each leg.

For some reason the forks scare me more than the valves did. Idk why. I need to get around to doing those tho

For some reason the forks scare me more than the valves did. Idk why. I need to get around to doing those tho

I was worried the first time doing my FZ1 forks only because when you look at the Clymers and the service manual, they both have different steps for doing it. I wound up using some info from both and after the first one was done I was like, "Man! That wasn't hard at all"! I'm sure it would be the same with valve adjustment. I'd be afraid to screw up the timing or something.

I was worried the first time doing my FZ1 forks only because when you look at the Clymers and the service manual, they both have different steps for doing it. I wound up using some info from both and after the first one was done I was like, "Man! That wasn't hard at all"! I'm sure it would be the same with valve adjustment. I'd be afraid to screw up the timing or something.

hmm, I might need to service my forks, the front left seems to be leaking a bit. My problem is I use my bike everyday to commute for work so taking it offline for a few days to do a job like this is not as easy for me.

hmm, I might need to service my forks, the front left seems to be leaking a bit. My problem is I use my bike everyday to commute for work so taking it offline for a few days to do a job like this is not as easy for me.

Once you have the Oil Seals, Both sets of Bushings, Quart of Fork Oil, Crush Washer for the Bottom Bolt, it's literally an hour job tops for a first timer once the forks are off the bike.

Get the front off the ground
Get the calipers off and hang them up with wire
Pinch Bolt and Front Axle out
Wheel off
Front Fender off
Crack the two Top Bolts atop the fork legs
Loosen the pinch bolts on the triples
Slide out the forks

8 Steps to get them off. After that it's an hour at most to drain, strip down, replace bushings and seals, refill with fresh oil, and tighten everything back together. A half day total of your day off and your done and will be considered a Veteran Fork Builder!

Any special tools required? I might actually look up some more detailed instructions and try to do this on a Saturday afternoon in a few weeks.

Have you tried to clean the seal yet? If not, give it try. It's easy and free. I simply pop the dust seal loose and slide it down the fork out of the way. I then clean the fork seal area with brake cleaner. Next I insert the corner of a business thiner card between the fork and the seal. (Motion Pro sells a plastic tool). Once inserted, I work it around the entire fork seal. I just did this to my bike 2 weeks ago and it appears to be OK now. I have done it many times on the off-road bikes with reasonable success.

Any special tools required? I might actually look up some more detailed instructions and try to do this on a Saturday afternoon in a few weeks.

Just watch my two videos and it will show you everything you need to know. When your ready to do it and have all the parts, I'll PM you my number in case you get stuck I can talk you through it over the phone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUuv2U_Ie7c&list=UUtIiPrXXOnkIUMfJ6mRxgkQ&index=72]FZ1 Fork Rebuild Pt1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqXQ1sz4Ec&list=UUtIiPrXXOnkIUMfJ6mRxgkQ&index=71]FZ1 Fork Rebuild Pt2 - YouTube[/ame]

I just borrowed the feeler gauges so I hope to do mine this month. When I do, I'll take video and narrate what I do (wrong or right) and post it up. Right now, I'm studying clymer's and service manuals along with whatever right ups I can find. Anybody wanna come help, just let me know!

The cutting of feeler`s with snips would worry me,I find it hard to believe this would`nt distort the cut edges, ebay have plenty of tapered gauges that start from about $8.00.But I have yet to do the valve check on this bike as it has 30,000klms, not due until 40,000klms, so maybe the tapered ones may not fit:confused:

advice and that's when I learned it was "get a very good pair of snips, cut the gauges down so they'd fit. Or pay a tad over $200 for a set that were nattow enough to fit." Do the job right and don't wait for the next poor sucker t pay the price.[/QUOTE]

With these flippin' winter temps, I wish I could come lend a hand! Unfortunately, my vacation time is already allotted for the AMA Races in September.

Plane trip isn't that long. We can do it over a weekend :D I may even be able to scare up a spare gen 1 for you to ride on one of my favorite roads. Did I mention everyone says I'm a good cook? If that doesn't tempt you, I've got a teeter hangup.

Number-5-Teeter-Hang-Ups.jpg

ok....ok....this thread started off with a simple question and now it has gone completely off the rails.......
I think the loooong winter months has affected everyone.
Seeing this teeter thing-a-ma-jig on a forum for hard ridin sons of beotches is proof some of us have cabin fever.
Soon fellas.....very soon the ridin season will be here.
Till then.......no more weird and scary contraptions.

Back