3200 mile trip!

3B43

Got back late yesterday afternoon, from 3200 miles on my '08! ONLY complaint-------ONE! the seat!!! I put a gel pad on it, which helped, but not enough. Did the lat 1180 miles in two (2) days! OK . . . I'm looking at a Russell seat, since they are only about 4 hours away. Anyone have one of these?

OVERALL, this bike is great! Isn't a FJR, but then the FJR ain't a FZ1!

By the way, I went to Glacier National Park, via Hwy 12 and other then one thunderstorm and some VERY HOT weather 105+, no problems!

I love my bike but mannnn, don't know i can do that long of a ride on it. I'll need cruise control or throtle lock or something so i dont go numb in the wrist. Sorry no experience with the seat

Epic journey and no pics/videos posted? Share dude!!!

Congrats on a safe trip! That's a lot of miles without an incident. Well done!

I cannot comment on the Russel seat but I can say that I'd do this journey on my Top Saddlery seat for sure... it's like a sofa!

Glad to hear you had a nice, safe trip! I only have about 250 miles on my new 09 FZ1, but the first time that I rode it for more than 30 minutes I knew the stock seat would have to go! After reading so many good reviews on Top Saddlery, I have ordered their seats and I can't wait for them to arrive!

I talked to a guy, in northern Montana, on a GS (BMW) that has a 08 and he put a Russell on and BINGO the bike was a great long range tourer. The seat is in the $500 range (custom built to your butt) and just looking for some input.

There are around 80 FJR's in Eureka at the Red lion Inn this weekend for the WFO (Western FJR Owners) gathering. Plenty of Russell's to look at if you go by. Just ask a few of the folks if you can check out their seat -ok their bikes seat. Good group of people, tell them Bugnatr(my FJR Forum handle) sent you -some may know me.
Russell is the cat's ass for long distance however if you like to hang off, the "wings" of a Russell will make that harder to do. Because Russell uses your seat pan I would do a ride in to get it right - nice to be close to them. Other wise Eric may be right with the TS seat or I just bought a Sargent which helps my back but is lacking in bottom comfort but I do like it. With both Sargent and TS is you get to keep your stock seat so you can always sell your custom seat if you don't like it.
I have a Rick Mayer on my FJR which is good but as I get older the Russell looks better.
Oh ya - 3,200 miles on a FZ1? Atta boy!

Last edited:
At 54, my days of 'hanging off' are over . . . for many reasons! I'm gonna play w/the modification I made to the seat w/the gel pad and see if it'll 'work' . . . I had a cover made for the gel pad that slips over the seat . . . maybe! Talked to numerous guys travelling around the country, several from the east coast!!! on their way home! One guy had been 'on the road' for 5 weeks and had 3 weeks to go!!! I'll head over to the Red Liion . . . .

3B43, how much fatigue did you experience with your right wrist? Holding the throttle open for that many miles makes we wonder if one's wrist might fall off later....I'm going to do a 1,700 trip myself, and my biggest concern is right wrist fatigue....what say you?

Thanks,
Howard

3B43, how much fatigue did you experience with your right wrist? Holding the throttle open for that many miles makes we wonder if one's wrist might fall off later....I'm going to do a 1,700 trip myself, and my biggest concern is right wrist fatigue....what say you?

Thanks,
Howard

This is what my wife and I use. We've done a 500+ mile day with these. Life saver because you can totally relax your grip and use just your palm for throttle control. CrampBuster Motorcycle Cruise Assist - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

First of all, most of my ridding was on 2-lane roads, w/very little time spent on 4-laners. So, that wasn't an issuel. Now, my WRIST INJURY from work several years ago WAS an issue! Doing it again, I'd get the slip on plastic 'flipper' that you use the base of your hand to hold the throttle open. I did over 1100 miles in 2 days on the way home and the two 'FIX IT' points are:

1) SEAT!!!!!!!!!!
2) WIND SCREEN

I put a Gee Baileys on, that is 7" taller then stock, but due to my sitting height (TALL!) all it did was cause ALOT of wind noise for my helmet. It DID keep 99% of the wind off my chest, but the wind noise was VERY tiring (yes, I wore ear plugs!) Not sure what the answer is, but I'll figure it out before my next trip!

First of all, most of my ridding was on 2-lane roads, w/very little time spent on 4-laners. So, that wasn't an issuel. Now, my WRIST INJURY from work several years ago WAS an issue! Doing it again, I'd get the slip on plastic 'flipper' that you use the base of your hand to hold the throttle open. I did over 1100 miles in 2 days on the way home and the two 'FIX IT' points are:

1) SEAT!!!!!!!!!!
2) WIND SCREEN

I put a Gee Baileys on, that is 7" taller then stock, but due to my sitting height (TALL!) all it did was cause ALOT of wind noise for my helmet. It DID keep 99% of the wind off my chest, but the wind noise was VERY tiring (yes, I wore ear plugs!) Not sure what the answer is, but I'll figure it out before my next trip!

Yea, those are my two gripes with the FZ1 as well. I already have a Sargent seat, but that's probably only marginally better than the stock seat.

As for the windscreen, I've tried a "touring" one that was taller and wider, but ran into the same issue as you since I'm 6'2". Right now I have the Zero Gravity DB one on there and that's a little better, but still not great. I think I am going to go with something that's more angled back and that will direct the air at my chest instead. Unfortunately the two choices that fit the bill (Copperdog and Magical Racing) are not exactly cheap.

I know this does not work for everyone but I got rid of the buffeting and wind noise by eliminating the windscreen (sort of). I put on the Copperdog speed screen which is shorter and more laid back in design. What this did was allow very clean air to come into my riding position. This eliminated the noise which, believe it or not, is actually made worse by most larger screens. The larger the screen, the more negative pressure that builds up behind them between you and it.

I found the cleaner air to be a lot less noisy and the buffeting was nearly gone unless you are stuck behind box trucks, SUVs, etc... Another huge benefit to me was having the clean air support my body at speed. I find that leaning into it just a bit allowed me to use the air as a great "cushion" that supported me and let my arms relax thus allowing me to keep my elbows loose and flexible and reduce the grip in both hands.

Both the stock screen and the Puig DB take away from all of this for me. Like I said though, this doesn't work for everyone but as a test, try an at-speed run (55 mph minimum) with your screen totally removed and do about 30 miles this way. See how it feels.

Last, I am only 5' 10" with a 32" inseam so I don't sit all that tall on the bike. Give it a shot and see though. I'm curious to hear what your take on this is.

Ok... VERY LAST thing? Where are the pics and videos of this epic journey?!?!?
:needpics:

2:57, i'm 6', and have been using the puig touring screen for my summer time multiday rides. It works well enough to take the wind off of you at highway speeds, but still permits good airflow with minimal buffeting.

The seat issue is on going. Even with the corbin with the sheepskin, i'm still in pain. Specifically if it's a hot day and I sweat alot, and more so if i'm riding aggressively.

Did a 520 mi ride yesterday in the backroads of WI. Probably a good 400 miles of those were technical corners of various speeds. Most of were done near 2x or more posted corner speeds. Everything from above the knees to lower back is sore (maybe i'm just out of shape).

I think if it'd been more sedate ride, I'd be tired, but not as sore.

The 'Laminar Lip' is one I'm looking at to reduce 'helmet noise' . . . google it and you'll see it.

SEAT: I'm looking at a Russell . . . they ain't cheap, but according to the guys I talked too, they are worth the $$$!

Did you get to talk to the FJR boys? A good seat is worth every penny if it works for you.

If you get a Russell let me know I'd like to see one on a FZ1. We could meet in Hayfork and terrorize hwy 36 :)

Yes, I talked to the FJR boys and sat on a 'Russell' seat. I'm gonna play w/the gel seat and see if that 'works', by taking a 300-350 miles trip . . . I'll make a decision after that!

I was having issues with the buffeting myself. I replaced the stock screen with a ZeroGravity DB and removed the stock mirrors replacing them with bar end mirrors. I'm tall so I still get the air but it's a lot cleaner.

I use the crampbuster on my '05 Gen1 and my Yammy cruiser. Love it...but my rt hand gets tingly and goes to sleep after 100-200 mi on the FZ... not on the cruiser. Same gloves. Problem develops in the web of rt hand where fingers join palm. I may experiment with moving the bars back, but I'm not leaning hard on them at all! I just returned from 3-state,1400 mi trip on the cruiser, would love to do that on the FZ but not until I figure out this tingle-thing. Of course, the FZ still makes me tingle anyway! LOL!
PB

Back