3k mile review of 2014 Z1000

M.Martin

Well, finally hit 3k miles. That's 600 miles of putting around for break in, 100 miles of hard riding at the racetrack, 1500 miles of riding around here in Florida with only a few burst of speed and playing around on what little bit of curves we have, 800 miles of the nicest roads North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee have to offer. This bike does it all. The seat is now broke in nicely and the engine seems to be getting broke in too. I was getting 40ish MPG spiritedly riding the nice roads of the Smokey Mountains. It has a ton of power especially down low. It will pull nicely out of corners at 3k rpms. I'm at the wear bars on the stock 190/50 Dunlop d214 and will be replacing it with Dunlop Q3 as soon as its a little more worn. The stock tires were fine. The spedo is off by 6% (100mph on the spedo is 94mph on GPS). I'm hoping the taller tires will help correct the speedo and lower my rpms at highway speeds. The bike is fantastic, the only thing I may change is the front sprocket so I cruise on the highway without revving the engine so much. The mirrors look nice but its hard to see behind so I may put bar ends on. Every one of my friends are trying to talk me into a fender eliminator and integrated turn signals, so that may come.

I've been wondering about an update! Great to hear you're enjoying the bike. The bike sounds like a great package and I'm glad you're happy with it. I look forward to another update at 6000 and any updates if you have any issues or things of note.

I'm surprised the OEM tires only lasted 3000 miles but I suppose you did do trackdays. Do you run stock pressures?

Thanks for the write-up! I know they are very nice bikes and have a lot of things that we complain about on the OEM FZ1 all sorted out. It would take some getting used to for me to like the over-all look... The bike looks very "tech" and sort of like a Transformer to me. It's cool it its own way, don't get me wrong... I'd love to try one some day. I don't know any owners in the area...

What do you like vs the FZ1 and what did the FZ1 do that you think the Z1k does not? Looking for your humble opinion based on experience. Thanks!

Sounds like a fun bike.
The front sprocket doesn't sound like a good idea though, it will dumb down the acceleration some.
I'm curious, how many revs does it pull cruising on the Highway?

Sent from my Nexus 5

It has way more mid-range power than the FZ1, better fueling, suspension, headlights, smoother shifting and running. It is a great bike. The FZ1 had better wind protection, better mpg (but I think that will change once I have 5k or 10k more miles). The FZ1 was a hoot to have that thrust when you hit the powerband where the Z is always there. The FZ1 had a more comfortable seat and more leg room. Overall I liked everything the FZ1 did but loved nothing. This one I love a bunch of the things it does and dislike little.

At 70mph on the spedo 65 gps it is at 5k rpms. 80 to 90 is really zinging where the FZ1 was just cruising. I don't think the higher gearing will be too bad because of how much mid range power this thing has.

Not like it's expensive or permanent to change a sprocket either... Does it have enough slop in the chain to just add one in the front tho without doing anything to the rear?

Back