Aargh!

Man, how frustrating!

Well, after removing the fuel tank from my perfect 0 mile 2007 FZ1 and installing the complete RETRO KIT, I put some of the parts in my shed...

Low and behold, I go out there and the TANK fell off the shelf and got dented and cracked the upper fairing below it!

I can't believe how dumb I am!

Tank literally is brand new, no gas or anything, and now has a big dent in the front and the paint chipped some.

This seemed like the perfect first post for a "Hall of Shame" thread, since no-one else wants to admit to any!

:banghead:

Man, how frustrating!

Well, after removing the fuel tank from my perfect 0 mile 2007 FZ1 and installing the complete RETRO KIT, I put some of the parts in my shed...

Low and behold, I go out there and the TANK fell off the shelf and got dented and cracked the upper fairing below it!

I can't believe how dumb I am!

Tank literally is brand new, no gas or anything, and now has a big dent in the front and the paint chipped some.

This seemed like the perfect first post for a "Hall of Shame" thread, since no-one else wants to admit to any!

:banghead:

I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. We've all pretty much have had one in the past, and chances are it won't be the last. It's the magnitude of the incident that matters. Don't beat yourself down about it since it won't solve the issue. I'm sure there is someone on the "other" site who can repair the tank for you. I just can't remember his name offhand. Send VArider or BroHay a PM. They should know his name. It may not be as bad as it seems. The crack could also be repaired. It's just a shame that it happened right now and not when we had 3 feet of snow on the ground.

On Utube

There's a guy in Florida who fixes tanks, small dents... I'v seen dents as big as cigarette packs removed, 99.9% unseen afterwards, the last .9% took a repaint. I'm sure there are more guys or gals who are Maestro's in this field.

Thats sure a nasty bummer.... my sympathy's, I know it still has you feeling at the bottom, but look on utube for a video of these guys, most of the time it was like $100 or so bucks to fix plus shipping ofcourse. Good luck:jaw drop::jaw drop::jaw drop::frown::frown::frown::doh2::doh2::doh2:

When I had an FJR, I purchased some frame sliders. The very next morning, I was leaving for work, parked my bike (sill running) on level pavement on the side stand, in neutral. I left it there just to go close the garage door. I was about 1 step away from the remote to close the door when I hear a crash. The bike fell over. The frame sliders helped a lot, kind of dinged up the mirror and put some scratches on the hard side luggage it fell on. Lets just say that I wasn't happy :banghead: Lesson learned.

Sorry to hear about that Brian :( Well look on the bright side (you have to at this point) at least the current retro kit on the bike is in perfect shape. As for the tank and upper fairing I would just keep an eye on eBay or the forums and you'll probably be able to pick one up for less than the cost and hassle of getting the original repaired. What color were they by the way? Blue or black?

They were black. I'm still fine since the retro kit is on the bike and they were just spares, but the upper fairing is pretty damaged, and the tank probably isn't that bad, but it's just not perfect and new anymore.

I guess we all know I was never going to put it back on anyway, right? Especially since the retro kit looks so good!

Thanks guys. It just was a bummer. I threw out the upper fairing today, still have the tank. Maybe I'll just list it on ebay since it's in excellent shape and practically new, but with the dent and chip.

I'll post a pic on here today.

Brian

Sorry !

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Blavenia, at least you weren't hurt.
My claim to SHAME is grabbing too much front brake at 40+mph thus locking up the tire, and sliding down onto the left side. I've spent $900.00 in parts, and probably about another 900.00 more in labor (mine), to repair, repaint and basically restore her to her former beauty ! I'm not even counting the 2 doctor's visits, or the pills he prescribed for me to fight infection. I had a total knee replacement 1.5 yrs. ago and yep. . . . that's the knee that landed on the pavement when I went down. Skinned it up pretty badly. Got some rash on the other knee too along with both elbows, left forearm, bruised both heals, and injured 2-fingers. . . . just now all healed up and ready to go.
Crashed back on April 12th and just now getting her back on the road, today in fact. Still haven't got all the (replacement) parts in. The GRAVES flush-mounts have been ordered for a month now and still won't ship for another week !

Hey Pilot! I feel your pain. I had a brutal wreck at Roebling Road (Track Day) in Savannah, GA in August 2008. Full lean left decreasing radius (Turn 5), touched the front tire of my bike to the rear of the one next to me.

Needless to say, cartwheels ensued!

Hospitals, pills, totalled bike, broken bones, etc.

You'll be fine, and bikes can always be replaced. Think of the bright side...your knee wasn't perfect to begin with, right? At least it's the same one and you can put your weight on the other one! :)

Best wishes with the repairs. I'm sure she's coming along nicely. Stay safe!

Dented Tank Pic

They were black. I'm still fine since the retro kit is on the bike and they were just spares, but the upper fairing is pretty damaged, and the tank probably isn't that bad, but it's just not perfect and new anymore.

I guess we all know I was never going to put it back on anyway, right? Especially since the retro kit looks so good!

Thanks guys. It just was a bummer. I threw out the upper fairing today, still have the tank. Maybe I'll just list it on ebay since it's in excellent shape and practically new, but with the dent and chip.

I'll post a pic on here today.

Brian

Sorry it took a while, but here's the pic of the tank dent!

Ouch! That's a pretty bad dent and missing paint too. Listen at least you don't need the tank right now so just hold on to it as is in case you ever need it down the road. No point in spending money to repair something that's just going to sit around and can get scratched/dented again.

Brian, sorry it happened but glad it wasn't the new retro kit you'd shelved and was waiting to install! THAT would have been damned horrible!

So, think you might sell the entire tail piece now? ;)

Brian, sorry it happened but glad it wasn't the new retro kit you'd shelved and was waiting to install! THAT would have been damned horrible!

So, think you might sell the entire tail piece now? ;)

Hee Hee! I don't think I'd sell the whole tail piece, but I'd sell the 2 lower sections of the tail piece, not the upper with the grab handles.

if you go to the "rehto" site.....ask for pm board member.... DeanDinnetz ...

Great guy, outstanding prices....many Gen I owner's have his handy work on their bikes from similar instance....factory paint colors (Gen I at least) but sure he can expand into Gen II.

250ish complete less shipping....

lame!

So i come to a stop at a sign. Everything is fine. It's a great day, the roads are debris free, its sunny. Sadly at this point, my Joe rocket right boot somehow becomes entangled with the metal shield guarding the break components on the foot peg. Unable to actually put my foot down, what ensues is the slowest speed tip-over ever.... Damage=1 small scuff on pipe, and some lost pride:/

Aaarghh!

Back in the day, I rode my 1973 Trident from Jacksonville to the far side of Washington, D.C. in one day (try that, whippersnappers). At the end of the ride, so tired I could hardly walk, I decided to fill the tank so as to be ready to ride in the morning. I got off the bike and walked away, giving it a glance just in time to see I had forgotten to put the side stand down. I watched it fall like a leaf to the pavement.

We always used to say, when you get a new bike, go immediately to the garage and kick it over, cry, and get on with it. Sorry about the luck, but, we've all done it - at least once. More later.

Reminds me of a very funny situation I witnessed. Arriving behind a biker nearing a red stoplicht. I see the guy slowing down smoothly and come to a standstill...I initially thought he's going to do a long slow pace before it turns back green on us...when I see him falling to the rightside, without putting foot down. It's like comedy capers....I park my bike and get off to his aid and ask him if allright, why did you fall....his stonecold answer "this is my son's bike, as my bike with sidecar is in the garage".....I had to control my laughter when I helped his bike back up!!!lolup

Back