Aftermarket can causing excessive fuel consumption?

darkcloud

Buddy of mine has a stubby can on his 04 FZ...lovely sound :) but recently he removed and put back on standard can as he claimed stubby can had reduced his fuel consumption by 50%....could ths be true? I'm think of fitting a nice can to my FZ...

Buddy of mine has a stubby can on his 04 FZ...lovely sound :) but recently he removed and put back on standard can as he claimed stubby can had reduced his fuel consumption by 50%....could ths be true? I'm think of fitting a nice can to my FZ...

By 50%?! I doubt it very much. He had other issues affecting his mileage, trust me. My 01' has only had an aftermarket can since it's purchase and before my bike was "jetted", I was averaging from 42 to 48mpg. Since the jet kit was installed I am still averaging 42 to 45mpg. I attest the drop in mileage to a sprocket change and not the exhaust. I went from a 44T to a 45T in the rear. If you are running a GenI, go get the exhaust you want, re-jet the bike and don't worry about it. You shouldn't see a huge difference at all in mileage.

By 50%?! I doubt it very much. He had other issues affecting his mileage, trust me. My 01' has only had an aftermarket can since it's purchase and before my bike was "jetted", I was averaging from 42 to 48mpg. Since the jet kit was installed I am still averaging 42 to 45mpg. I attest the drop in mileage to a sprocket change and not the exhaust. I went from a 44T to a 45T in the rear. If you are running a GenI, go get the exhaust you want, re-jet the bike and don't worry about it. You shouldn't see a huge difference at all in mileage.

Do you always have to jett youre carbs after putting on a new can?

An after-market can will not cause any significant amount of excess fuel consumption unless the rider just sits at the lights 50% of the time gunning it to hear that sweet symphony resonating from the rear of the bike. Riding it? Nope... still not enough to actually notice...

It sounds more like he rejetted it and went way too rich on the mixture. It would be an extremely rare situation for only a muffler change to cause a reduction in fuel consumption like that. Cause and effect here are not in line.

Back