Aftermarket Exhaust Install Question

lee36

Maybe I should know this already but in anticipation of installing PapaGeno's GYTR exhaust... I took a closer look at my stock beast of a can to see where to remove bolts, etc... and I noticed what appears to be a sensor with two lines running into it.. these lines run from the sensor up into the frame, just behind the rear brake rearset...where they go from there only god and maybe those of you on this board knows!

Is this something that can be tossed aside and removed when installing an aftermarket exhaust? Or is this installed in conjunction with a new can? In my case it'll be the GYTR ... thoughts?

Geno... I was gonna just PM you or call but I thought maybe other newbies could gain some insight on this one...

no, i forget what they are called but i'm sure some other people will know. you can follow them up into the bike and remove them or just tie them off. it shouldn't hurt anything. i have a gytr and thats what i did until i decided to stop being lazy and finally just take them out completely

That is your o2 sensor. If the exhaust you are buying is a slip on it will stay where it is. If you are getting a full system then you will most likely remove the o2 sensor.

If you are getting a slip on you will be fine using the stock fueling and o2 sensor.

If you are getting a full system then you should probably get a power commander. Power commanders come with a piece that plugs into the wiring harness where the o2 sensor did plug in.

That is the EXUP valve not a sensor. You will need to remove the cables from the valve and then from the servo under the driver seat. You can just leave the servo in place so that you do not throw any errors on the ECU.

The following video covers it better than any.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3ZvUqKnfQ]YouTube - FZ1 Video Tutorials - Exhaust[/ame]

That is the EXUP valve not a sensor. You will need to remove the cables from the valve and then from the servo under the driver seat. You can just leave the servo in place so that you do not throw any errors on the ECU.

The following video covers it better than any.
YouTube - FZ1 Video Tutorials - Exhaust

Oops, Hail is correct. This is what happens when the original post is skimmed and not read. :( I'm off to hang my head in shame.

Hail... thanks for that video... Copperdawg pretty much covers it soup to nails... and I can see me eventually gutting the CAT one of these days although that will open up a boatload of questions for me then.

I think I'll be happy with the GYTR exhaust as is... I am not necessarily looking for more power as much as I want to improve the looks, drop the weight and more importantly (to me) punch up the sound level. The FZ1 runs so quiet no one knows your there unless I pull the clutch in an rev the heck out of it!

Ok, one more question with respect to the servo... what the heck is it doing when the cables are acutated??? And with respect to inspection, if I need to swap the stock exhaust back in temporarily... would I need to lace up the cables back just to drive it down and back to the shop? Again, not sure what the servo is doing?

thanks again for all the responses... its appreciated.

Ok, one more question with respect to the servo... what the heck is it doing when the cables are acutated??? And with respect to inspection, if I need to swap the stock exhaust back in temporarily... would I need to lace up the cables back just to drive it down and back to the shop? Again, not sure what the servo is doing?

thanks again for all the responses... its appreciated.

In Texas we do not have emissions testing for motorcycles so it is not an issue for me. I am not sure what your state's laws are. You can probably start here though:
Massachusetts state motorcycle laws

Here's what I got for MA off the website:

Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels as measured from 50 feet (Chapter 90, Sec. 7T): 82dBA at 45mph or less; 86dBA over 45mph. Stationary noise levels: Motorcycles required to be registered for operation on the ways of the commonwealth shall not exceed the following noise levels when operated at 1/2 redline speed--99dBA manufactured after 1/1/86--102dBA manufactured before 1/1/86 (540 CMR 3:00)

From what I gather... I'm pretty sure the GYTR will be over that but on the other hand I'm sure this is something that may not be pressed too hard. I have heard lots of bikes louder than Geno' around my town; thats for sure. When I rode with Papa I found the exhaust note sweet but not obnoxiously loud at all...

Getting back to the servo... can anyone comment on what it's doing? Most likely opening a valve at a certan RPM...

Servo

Getting back to the servo... can anyone comment on what it's doing? Most likely opening a valve at a certan RPM...

The servo on the Gen II is there to reduce noise more than anything. It closes the valve at idle or near idle RPM, and opens it as RPM's rise. Unlees you need the space under your seat for something else, there is no need to remove it. I removed and labled my cables like in the Copperdawg video when I removed my stock pipe. Mainly because they served no purpose with the stock pipe and I wanted to keep them in good shape should I for some reason need them in the future.

If you remove the servo you will get an engine error code unless you put a cheater electronic unit in it's place (like the one Graves sells).

hi guys thanks for the video ,if i understand if i gutt the headers theres no need to buy another set since i think its strait because im putting a leo vince carbon evo ll and power commander v,thanks guys in advance for your replys:popcorn:

if its just a slip on,cable tie the cables out of sight and moving parts.They are for the exup valve which isnt needed.No need to remove them fully.

I just took mine all off better for looks and it isnt that hard to re-wire the exup back on,when I took this exhaust off I nearly dropped it heavy or what..............
My slip on is a scorpion...multi coloured ti

Back