Air Pressure in tire

Hey guys, its been pretty cold down here in florida, i was wondering if that affects PSI in a tire? just plugged up my tire and got no air coming out of the plugs, but the PSI in the tire (back tire) seems to be fluctuating alot lately, im not sure if its beacuse of the cold weather or something else. any tips?

Hey guys, its been pretty cold down here in florida, i was wondering if that affects PSI in a tire? just plugged up my tire and got no air coming out of the plugs, but the PSI in the tire (back tire) seems to be fluctuating alot lately, im not sure if its beacuse of the cold weather or something else. any tips?

The rule of thumb is 1 PSI for every 5c of temperature. I don't know the proper conversion for Fahrenheit but if you wake up at 40F and check your tires later when it's 60F, that will be about a 3 PSI difference in air pressure.

Yes the cold temps will drop the air pressure in any tire. Just as high temps or a heated up tire will raise the air pressure. My only question is what do you consider pretty cold (as I look outside at the snow)? PS. Take a ride for me, I'll have to wait until about April before I"ll be able to go for a ride on mine!

I'd say temp related fluctuation seems likely.

The rule of thumb is 1 PSI for every 5c of temperature. I don't know the proper conversion for Fahrenheit but if you wake up at 40F and check your tires later when it's 60F, that will be about a 3 PSI difference in air pressure.
Sounds about right.

The valve stems can lose air when the temp really dips as well since the tiny o-rings shrink slightly. A good metal cap with a rubber washer inside helps prevent this. Of course we are talking extreme temp drops for that.

Easy solution, check both tires before each ride. They should both have similar pressure fluctuations. If only the plugged tire shows a pressure loss it's leaking.

Back