Ais

Ruggybuggy

So if plugging or blocking of the AIS prevents the popping noise with the aftermarket exhaust why does it still pop? :confused:

Last edited:
I doubt it pops if you remove the AIS completely and install block off plates.
Plugging is an easy but no so good fix.
Too many areas where it could leak.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I doubt it pops if you remove the AIS completely and install block off plates.
Plugging is an easy but no so good fix.
Too many areas where it could leak.

Sent from my GT-I9300

No, just did the plugging. So if the block off plates are done not more popping? So why does anyone plug the AIS system in the first place it it doesn't work?

It reduces the popping somewhat.
I didn't like it because sometimes my bike would let out a huge backfire. I unblocked it after that and now live with the popping.
Maybe one day I might do it properly but the popping doesn't really bother me too much.

Sent from my GT-I9300

So if plugging or blocking of the AIS prevents the popping noise with the aftermarket exhaust why does it still pop? :confused:

I plugged my AIS and still had a lot of popping, so when I changed my plugs I installed the block off plates, still had popping. I switched the PCV map I was running and that greatly reduced the popping. So you more than likely have an issue elsewhere, or your plug is leaking.

the AIS takes fresh air from your air box, and pumps it into the exhaust system to mix with unburned fuel. so by blocking it off with plugs or plates, you're taking away that fresh air, and now you just have unburned fuel in your exhaust system. the exhaust system is so hot, it'll ignite the fuel.

however after blocking it off, you have an accurate representation of your air fuel ratio. so a tuner can go in and adjust the proper amount of fueling in the bike. now, even with proper fueling, you can still get un-burned fuel in the exhaust and have backfires, but at least now after a tune, the engine is burning the proper amount for performance and efficiency. this doesn't mean you'll never get popping again, it just means that it's the side affect of your engine running properly, that x amount of leftover fuel, sometimes is inevitable.

remember, everything you're doing to the bike is air or fuel, and you can't adjust one without adjusting the other to have it work properly.

I have just blocked mine using the dowel and jubilee clip method to secure it as suggested by another member but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It appears that different exhaust can's give different popping symptoms.

Plugging is the same as removing, so long as you plug it fully. If the OEM system leaks somewhere, then that is a different issue but if it wasn't messed with, I doubt it leaks. FYI, I've removed it completely, have the Two Bros, Arrow headers and a PCV. Still get some minor popping on extreme decel but nothing I cannot live with. I'm guessing the only way to truly end it is a custom tune for all gears and RPMs to output the proper AFR from zero to WOT. Then it should be cured... but that's money I'd rather spend on vacations. ;)

Plugging is the same as removing, so long as you plug it fully.

That's what I thought. As long as the air isn't getting in then it doesn't matter if it's plugged, blocked or removed. So my take on it is that it will reduce popping but your never going to eliminate it.

An exhaust leak could also cause this on deceleration ie it could suck some fresh air into the system to cause combustion.

Craig is right... check all your fittings and make sure they are snug.

Also, you are right, because without proper tuning, it will not eliminate the popping by removing or blocking the AIS alone. Normal daily rides, I do not have any pops at all, only when I am in high RPMs and heavy decel does it pop but with the AIS removed, it is much more muted where before the AIS block, it was very loud and would even backfire at the most extremes.

Nothing mechanically wrong with the bike. Pipe is a Vance & Hines CS One that fit very tight and no leaks anywhere else.

CIMG2285.JPG

Back