Am I That Shallow?

I'm sitting inside Dunkin' Donuts with my coffee and blueberry muffin, admiring my bike and this family pulls up in a Honda minivan with NY plates. Young couple, 30's maybe, with three very young kids. The mom pops out and quickly goes to work, pulling the kids out for bathroom breaks, cleaning the back seat, changing a diaper or two. Dad is somehow excused from this duty (or should I say doody). From the moment he parks he catches site of Professor Fizz and does not move his head for a full 5 minutes, takes a break from rubbernecking, then returns his stare. Mom dutifully (doodyfully) proceeds about her business, even retrieving coffees for herself and the catatonic driver. So I snap this shot (you have to look carefully to see Dad looking wistfully at the minivan antithesis:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODYtMjAwOTA3MDUtMT-1.jpg

So to answer the question: Yes, I am shallow enough that I love the way people look my bike and wish they could or would ride one.

So to answer the question: Yes, I am shallow enough that I love the way people look my bike and wish they could or would ride one.

First, the man should be :spank2: for not helping her with the kids! :disapproval:

Second, that is a man who is DYING with envy and wishing he was able to be out and playing on such a sweet ride. I was once that guy... I was in the soccer-mom van and had given up all my toys to raise our kids. BUT, I was also right there helping with the kids! I did drool over many a bike in my 13 years without a ride... But never to the point I neglected my kids. :eyebrow:

It is a warm feeling though to have your bike ogled by others though, like a proud parent showing off the newborn child. :p

Well I always admire other bikes or nice cars so I can related to that guy. I was drooling over a new Camaro SS the other night :drools:

Well I stopped at Subway's yesterday after riding to grab a late lunch and parked the bike by the door. Most people that came in or out were checking out the bike. I had left my helmet and jacket on the bike and it was funny to see them looking around wondering where the owner was. I was sitting right by the door looking out the window so there was no way anyone could take anything.

Well I always admire other bikes or nice cars so I can related to that guy. I was drooling over a new Camaro SS the other night :drools:

Well I stopped at Subway's yesterday after riding to grab a late lunch and parked the bike by the door. Most people that came in or out were checking out the bike. I had left my helmet and jacket on the bike and it was funny to see them looking around wondering where the owner was. I was sitting right by the door looking out the window so there was no way anyone could take anything.

Where I live, they walk up to you and tell you what a nice bike you have, followed by "By the way, do you got some change to spare?" So now the compliment is meaningless.

Three kids and a dog didn't fit in the Tacoma. ;)

I actually miss that van. It was the Dodge Grand Caravan with all the toys... like a living room on wheels. It was deep red with the all gold trim package and blacked out windows. 18" wheels and every bell and whistle inside. There were some sweet memories of trips in THAT van, both with and without the kids. ;)

And I even remember going out to Groton CT. with it and picking up a vintage Honda CB125. It fit right in with room to spare.

Hey, I remember the Honda CB125. It was my "first" bike. Well mine wasn't vintage (1982?) and I only bought it to take the road test and practice riding. That thing was slow, but great on gas! Actually made money on it when I sold it to some Indian guys who sent it back to India if you can believe that.

Hey, I remember the Honda CB125. It was my \"first\" bike. Well mine wasn't vintage (1982?) and I only bought it to take the road test and practice riding. That thing was slow, but great on gas! Actually made money on it when I sold it to some Indian guys who sent it back to India if you can believe that.

Those things are very popular overseas for sure. The one we had picked up was an early 70's model. It had the low handlebars and was pretty nimble as I remember.

I sold my Interceptor to buy the family an Aerostar so I feel that guys pain. Went bikeless for 7 years or so, no time or money, small kids and cub/boy scouts will do that.

And then one fatefull day I found another Interceptor parked for sale alongside the road...hoo wee, back in the saddle. :sport12:

Back