An introduction and a question.

Hi all, I've been hovering in the background now since December 2012 when I joined this forum and since I need a bit of help from a forum member, I thought it a good opportunity to introduce myself before having the cheek to ask the question.
Over the years I have owned the following bikes.
1 BSA DB34 Gold Star, 2 BSA DBD34 Gold Stars, a 750 Honda F1, a Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP, a Yamaha MT01, another FZR EXUP and my first new bike, an FZ1N ABS purchased in 2012. I loved all my bikes and still have my FZR EXUP after 24 years. I purchased the second one as a none runner and have since got it going and ridden it to make sure it's a sound bike. My intention is to bring it back to the same condition as my other one.
Now to my question! I had purchased (for my MT01) a Ventura luggage system which worked very well transporting all my kit on many rides to Scotland when touring. I kept the Ventura system when I sold the MT01, purchasing new L support brackets to suit the new FZ1N. This has all been fitted to the new bike with no problems. In fact, I have just returned from another run to Scotland and back to Yorkshire, where I live. Usually I travel solo and so position the Ventura bag over the pillion seat as advised by the manufacturer, so the weight doesn't become an issue as the seat supports it. Now to my problem....When I bought the system for the MT01 it came with fitting instructions and the load the brackets and bike could safely carry. The new brackets I got to suit the FZ1N came with nothing to state the load it would be able to support. Now I am due to go off again in two weeks, this time to France but with my wife on the back this time! So I can't place the luggage over the pillion 'cos she'll be on it. To cut a long story short I need to know if anyone out there has one of these systems fitted and if so can they tell me what the bike and L brackets will take in terms of weight? Looking through the instructions for the Ventura system fitted to the MT01 it states that the system is designed to carry between 10 and 20lbs. The MT was able to carry the maximum but it says in these instructions that if you don't know the limit you should use the lower weight, which wont be enough for us. So can anyone help with this please?

Thanks for any replies......

Congrats on the FZ and welcome to the site (officially!) :D

A quick search and a link to their (Ventura) FAQ... they sated that 20 lbs is the limit but if you are unsure, give them a call and tell them the make/model of your bike along with the bag you own and they will tell you the safe limit for your setup as it varies with each bike AND the bag purchased. ;)

Also looking at the FAQ, please make sure your wife doesn't use it as a back rest. That is considered additional weight, can snap the tubes and send her tumbling off the bike. ;)

Last, I am very jealous because you get to ride through all those great countries! Enjoy and ride safe!

Also looking at the FAQ, please make sure your wife doesn't use it as a back rest. That is considered additional weight, can snap the tubes and send her tumbling off the bike. ;)

Thanks for the welcome Cobalt and I have to say, I do like the bike very much, as it performs like a sports bike but provides good comfort for this old body of mine :cry: I love sports bikes, that's why I kept my Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP:sport12: But I can't go more than about 150 miles on it before the pain starts. Hence the FZ1N.

To get back to the question of the Ventura luggage system, I had already emailed them in New Zealand and was awaiting a reply but thought maybe someone on here may have first hand knowledge so to speak, however I am pleased to report I got a reply from them this morning, stating that the bike and brackets will indeed support 20lbs. So problem solved!

Yes, I did know about the passenger not using the luggage rack as a back rest but was planning on not telling the wife :evillaugh::evillaugh::evillaugh:

Congrats of the purchase of the FZ1. It's a great all around bike. Now show us some pics of those EXUPs :D

Ok NJFZ1, just for you.....

I have owned this EXUP (a 1989 model, the 300th off the production line) since 1990 and its condition is as you see in the pictures.

Sorry not got any of my latest EXUP yet, as though it's all there, it looks a bit sorry for itself :frown:

Ok NJFZ1, just for you.....

I have owned this EXUP (a 1989 model, the 300th off the production line) since 1990 and its condition is as you see in the pictures.

Sorry not got any of my latest EXUP yet, as though it's all there, it looks a bit sorry for itself :frown:

:wow: Bike looks fantastic. The '89 FZR1000 in those colors is one of my favorite bikes. If I could find one in that condition it would be mine in a heartbeat.

Thanks for posting that pic :tup:

Back