Another one of them 'Breaking her in' threads

My new 2011 FZ1n black beast now has 380km on the clock after a couple of days. I love the power. No, really...I love it!

I'm going the non-babying route with my breaking in, not getting the revs above 9,000. Accelerating fairly hard up to that point maybe once every now and then. I do mean fairly hard, too. I sure hope not following the rules won't do her any harm. :eek5: A few kind words of encouragement from fellow users who did the same should put my mind at ease a little...please? I'll be changing the oil at 500km methinks.

Fuel consumption is shocking so far, with the last bar beginning to flash after just 100km/62miles US. This should improve a bit once I get a lot less altery with the revs, right? At the moment, I'm not really keeping the revs at the same for long at all, hoping it'll do my bike good in the end.

ALSO! How long do you estimate we have once the last fuel bar starts flashing? I read on 'ere something about a reserve, and I'm unsure as to whether or not the flashing bar means I'm on it or not.

Thanks for the help in advance, dudes! Apologies for the noob questions. :disturbed

Last edited:
The manual states "Avoid prolonged operation above 6000 RPM" until after 600 miles. Well, I did follow this. The manual follows up with a note in bold to avoid redline. I followed that too! But, I ran the first 75 miles with a heavy handed acceleration/deceleration in low gears and keeping the RPMs above 5k and under 11k. When I got home, I changed the oil and filter right then. This is how race engines are broken in as it forces the rings out against the cylinder walls on both throttle on and off. This seats them faster. With the tight specs/tolerances these machines are built with, they can take it. I've done this for MANY bikes over the years and never had one use oil. "Ride it like you stole it!" You are correct, keep the RPMs varied and never sustained.

Once broken in and normal riding resumes, I've been seeing the flashing bar come on at 105 to 125 miles depending on how I treated that tank of fuel. ;)

Welcome and ride safe!

Fuel consumption is shocking so far, with the last bar beginning to flash after just 100km/62miles US.

Are you sure about this????????????????????????????????

Cause I know that the Fz1 likes to drink alot, but this would mean that your consumption is about 16 l/ 100 km, and I've tried everithing, and when I mean everithing I really mean it, the bikes max consumption was around 12.6 l / 100 km.

No redline.
No prolonged 6000+RPM.
Yep, definitely been keeping within those limits.

Good stuff! And thanks for the quick response! :D

*EDIT*

About the fuel consumption, yeah, I found it hard to believe too.
I got to 80km on the fuel from the dealer,
180km after my first fillup (around 11 litres went in)
280km after my second (don't recall how much went in, but it would've been around 10 - 11)
380km tonight. 11.30 litres.
I should open up that manual to see how big the tank is.
*Reads*
Wait...
... 18.0L/4.76gal as well as 3.4L/.90gal reserve?
My final fuel bar is flashing way too soon, right? Here I was thinking the tank was only 13L, lol. I effectively still have around half a tank (including reserve) once that last bar goes nuts? @_@

Last edited:
Still a new Fz1 should not consume more than 9 - 10 L / 100km, even if you change gears all the time and rev it up to 9 - 10.000 rpm.

The Best thing would be for you to fill your tank, do 100km and then full it up again that way you know exactly how much you consumed.

Yeah, the fuelconsuption you are getting is a little outrages. When I got mine new it did about 7.5L / 100 KM so 1 on 14 or 38 MPG UK or 33 MPG US and has been doing so for the last 21K KM

Last edited:
A fellow I worked with years ago had the philosophy of breaking in the engines hard and fast. He bought a new Mustang and drove it hard early on - even leaving the dealership. That car was always fast after that. And that is what his thinking was - break it in fast - and it will be fast.
He pushed it hard - but did not over rev it. That would be foolish.

He was an engineer, as am I, so it was a decision he made with considerable mechanical engineering background and thought going into it.

I tend to do the same thing with my engines - though I tend to push them a little less hard than he did. All of my engines have been very long lived engines with no mechanical problems over their lifetimes. Eg: Chevy V8 - 305,000 miles before I sold it - no engine problems or transmission problems. Presently have another GM V8 in a Hi Po Camaro - presently at 265,000 miles - no mechanical troubles - very fast car.

Sounds somewhat like one of the previous posts relating the thinking of breaking in racing engines hard and fast by certain racers.

Thanks for that, lindy. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been hard on the bike, but there have been quite a few times where I give it to it for a squirt here and there. It's tonnes of fun!

I'm now sitting at 660km and am dreading cleaning the bike thanks to a fear of scratching the black paint. I'll look more into that soon. *gulp*

SO! I did that 100KM trip on a full tank thing you recommended, CRO. And hurr, I topped up as much as possible before starting. Turns out, even though I could see the petrol in the tank once the hose clicked, the tank could still take another 3L. :wow:
The end result after the trip? Exactly 7.5 litres for the 100KM. :cheerleader: I've since done another 80KM after that last refill and still have 3 bars left, so all is looking fairly normal now. Apologies for the stupid, fellas. THANKS FOR THE HELP! :D

Back