Battery not charging..Help Please

NoCal

Hello,

My battery kept going dead even after charging it. Before buying a new battery I placed a volt meter on the battery. It is not charging when the bike is running. Any thoughts or help as to what to check/do/replace would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....NoCal

Could be the stator, the flywheel magnets let go (ask Hellgate!!!), or a bad frame ground. Start with the negative wire and trace it to ground. Loosen and make sure it isn't dirty/corroded at the contact point. Clean and tighten. Check the output. Check the positive cable, both ends, and make sure the same applies. Report back. :D

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I checked and cleaned all contacts before posting. I am not sure what you mean by "Could be the stator, the flywheel magnets let go (ask Hellgate!!!)"?

Thanks, The battery holds a charge after putting it on the charger. But when I put it on the voltage meter it wasn't charging. About 13.4 V both with the engine running and off

Last edited:
Thanks, The battery holds a charge after putting it on the charger. But when I put it on the voltage meter it wasn't charging. About 13.4 V both with the engine running and off

Are you revving the engine sufficiently to make sure it's not charging. You won't see much of a voltage change at idle.

I believe that Hellgate had the same issue. Thats what he meant by that remark.

Back