Bent Forks

Sambos

Anyone no if R1 09 - 10 front end will fit 07 FZ1? Do the fork tubes fit in the standard triple clamps, and by the looks the wheels should fit with R1 spacers?

I've heard of people putting these on their FZ1, just unsure what year forks fit what bikes. Yes, you'd need the spacers, the front axle and likely the brakes as well. If you can get the entire front clip, you should be able to work it out.

Found this on another site:

The wheel on the 07/08 R1 is the same as the 04/06 R1 and the Gen 2 FZ1, the rotors are 310 mm Diameter but use the same mountings. I have just fitted the 24mm fork cartridges from a 2007 R1 into the 2004 R1 forks fitted to my Gen 2 FZ1, so i would think the forks will slide straight into the FZ1 triple clamps. One advantage of this mod is that the 2007/8 R1 has heavier fork springs than the 2004 model, which are better suited to the heavier FZ1. tHE 24MM cartridges give a much better ride than the 20mm units also.

And this:

It is a drop-in conversion from '07 R1 to GEN II FZ1. The R1 axle spacers are a little different, fitted with plastic shields over the seals.

You can use the FZ1 rotors by spacing the calipers out 5mm using (2 each bolt - 8 total) 12mm washers with the holes enlarged to 14mm. I would recommend this as a stop-gap until you obtain the correct rotors.

The fork-top to axle difference is ~13mm (about 1/2"). You can recover 1-2 mm by moving the top of the R1 fork a little lower in the top triple clamp. Lower your rear preload a notch or 2 and you should be near the standard FZ1 geometry, albeit lower to the ground.

Using better brake lines gives a good feel with the FZ1 master cylinder. Considering that the '07 R1 master is the same as the R6 which is only a 2-piston caliper (FZ1=2 Piston) there is likely little difference in piston size which only affects the stroke of the lever. There only appears to be a mm or so difference in MC piston diameter. You may actually get a little more force with the FZ1.

Working on adapting the entire R1 Triple which looks to restore some of the lost fork length. That process is definitely not a bolt-on. The steering damper is going to be a challenge.

If you are interested ... the '07 R1 triple fits the FZ1 with only minor mods to increase the swing stops and provide for switch locking. Using the R1 top clamp brings the axle height right back to FZ1 spec.

Last edited:
R1 98-010

Thanks for the info guys, have purchased 01 R1 front forks, but brake mounts are different, BUGGER!! Hopefully lower leg mounts come off, and 07 FZ1 internals fit to length. Cheers.

Back