Best first mods: Go!!!

If you ride on the open road much, you might not want to go with the 16T front sprocket. My "previously-owned" 2006 came with that setup and I couldn't wait to get it back to stock. It was way too buzzy on the interstate and fuel economy was terrible (not to mention the speedometer was way off). When I did go back to the original 17T front, I also put a Gen-I 44T on the rear (Gen-II is 45T). I did this about a week before I upgraded to the Ivan's ECU flash. I really like what I have now. The only downside is takeoffs from a complete stop do require a bit of concentration to smoothly leave the scene, but nothing that you can't get used to.

As for indespensible mods, Ivan's ECU flash is definitively IT. NO other mod for the money can come close to bringing out the inner beast that's hiding in all Gen-II FZ1s. If your bike is bone stock, it'll cost you about a grand to upgrade. Fortunately for me, my ride came with everything BUT the ECU flash. Upgrade costs: right at $400 with shipping.

In case you're interested, I did a mini-review here: Highways and Byways: Ivan's Yamaha FZ1 ECU Flash

Back