Best leather jacket brands

Hello, I am about to get my first leather jacket and was wondering what brands are highest quality? I really like the look of icon, but have gotten mixed reviews from my friends about their quality. I have about $400 for a jacket and was wondering which is the best bang for my buck. Does anyone here ride Icon? If not, what? Thanks

Alpinestar

I recently bought a Alpinestar RC-1 jacket. Great quality and fit. It was a bit pricey but from my experience it will pay for itself over the many years I will have it. I still have two jackets from the Eighties that are still in excellent shape, just dated looks-wise. Chances are, like me if you buy quality, it will go out of style before it deteriorates beyond where it will still protect you. With a little care and attention that is.

Long story short.... Icon is poser-gear... their jacket's aren't truly functional MC jackets.. their helmets are heavy as concrete, and their gloves are a joke.

I had Icon... it's built decent... but not really functional... the neck hole was way too big... the cut of the jacket tells that it's for the around town poser rider... not the serious rider...

The market that Icon caters to can been seen both in their ad campaigns, and by the way their gear is made.... they make jackets that the lower sleeves zip off and become short-sleeved jackets.... none of their jackets are made with a zipper to connect to pants...

If you're an "around town" rider... who will never buy more than a jacket, Icon may not be bad for you.

However, if you're more serious about your riding, and want to be able to be properly geared up, Icon won't fit the bill.

Check the closeouts at New Enough and motorcycle superstore...

Fieldsheer Track Paddock II Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

know what size you are... alpinestars tends to run small, Fieldsheer runs pretty true to actual size... Joe Rocket runs a little small.... if you're going to be riding in chilly weather, you may want a jacket with a good liner, or enough room under the jacket for a sweatshirt....
Closeouts > Leather Suits, Jackets, and Pants :: New Enough, LTD

Discount Men's Leather Street Jackets at Motorcycle Superstore's Clearance Sale

I'd stick to a company that is well known and has made a name for themselves in racing...

But... just to clarify, these are all things that I think about when buying a jacket..

What's most important to you? What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

Honestly, if you're cruising around town with the local clubs... or running down the interstate, Icon might be just fine for you... If the main concerns are the most basic of protection and "looking cool"....

if you have even the slightest curiosity or interest in possibly hitting a track sometime, Icon won't do it for ya... it'd be a HUGE waste of money...

I tried several different makes @ Cycle Gear, in Sacramento and NOTHING came close to the Dianese (sp?) jackets. OF COURSE, the one I liked/fit PERFECTLY/looked the BEST/etc was a SMOOTH $800!!!!

Dianese

I tried several different makes @ Cycle Gear, in Sacramento and NOTHING came close to the Dianese (sp?) jackets. OF COURSE, the one I liked/fit PERFECTLY/looked the BEST/etc was a SMOOTH $800!!!!

I tried on a few Dianese and yes they fit great, most great quality, but so over priced compared to others of similar quality. Maybe it's just Canadian market being so much less competetive due to much smaller numbers. When the prices are not so stupid. $3500 for a top of the line 1 pce., I'll think about it.

I tried on a Dianese that felt like Wetsuit material, The whole jacket. All kevlar and thick Neoprene. really liked it's feel until I bent my arms and the material bunched up at the inside of the arms by the elbows. Struck that one off the list.
Just yesterday I saw a Dianese helmet, (apparently they make it themselves) so say the salesman. graphics to go with their "tatoo" line of leathers,(no not that short guy from fantasy Island!). It was carbon fiber light, but did not try it on.

What are your thoughts about wearing leather when it may be wet and rainy? I really want an all around, all season jacket that can get a little wet from time to time. I live in Oklahoma where it gets around 100 in the summer, and into the 20's and 10's in the winter. I know that there is probably no way that I can have one jacket for ALL seasons, but what do you think about the perforated leather? Anyone had any success or failures with that type of jacket? I cannot afford Dianese, or how ever its spelled. But I can get a jacket in the $400 range. What do you suggest? Remember, I'm in it for the quality. Thanks for the suggestions. Have a great day!

I feel naked without leather in the summer, but you can survive as long as you are moving constantly. If not, you have to look at textile for the lighter weight during the hotter times of the year.....

I lucked out with a purchase for an A* jacket that fits the bill 9 mos out of the year---but again, what works for one may not work for another......

good luck with your search.....you don't have to pay full retail for quality gear IF you have the time to search for the best deal.....

Fieldshear

I checked out the link from va-rider on the paddock II jacket. The price is fantastic. The specs are good to. For the money it's a steal.

I may have a suggestion.... but... I'm tentative to reveal it without knowing more about your riding style... tell me about your riding... try to be descriptive... make me think I'm riding with you.... I have a jacket that "Does it all" hot, cold, wet, dry, whatever... but I don't want to give more details until I know more about you.... don't want to make a bad recommendation for your riding style...

Ok, I live in Stillwater, OK. In the winter it gets very cold. I think for about four months its between 10 and 30 or 40 degrees. For the most part its a dry cold. I would really like to ride comfortably in the winter here. On the other hand, in the summer months, there are highs in the high 90's and even a few days over 100. I would also like to ride comfortably in the summer. I am going to take the bike 4 miles to school everyday to school. On the weekends, I want to take the bike on a ride for about an hour or two. I am very very safety oriented. Quality is #1, and I plan on wearing the jacket EVERY time I ride. To give you an idea. I have a Shoei X-11 helmet. I am very interested in your all around, perfect jacket. Please tell me about it.

Not leather... but....

... I got one of these : Teknic Stinger Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

(and matching pants actually) about a year a go...

it's got a really nice zip-in liner... and vents in the arms and back... CE approved armor in the elbows shoulders and back.... I really wear this jacket ALL OF THE TIME.... however ***Disclaimer*** I wouldn't recommend wearing this jacket for your "I'm gonna go get my knee down, raise hell and Win it or Bin it" riding.... I wear my full leathers for that still.... but this jacket for everything else... cold weather, put the liner in, maybe a sweatshirt if it's insanely cold (Like under 20 degrees above that.. I'm in shorts and a t shirt under the suit...)... on warm days... ditch the liner... on 90+degree days, open the arm vents and back vent... even with the vents open, the jacket is waterproof... but still cool... I've ridden in the rain for 6+ hours straight in the Jacket and pants, and after 6 hours, I'm bone dry.... Really .... it's great stuff... If I had the cash, I'd pick up 3 more just like it... for when this one wears out.

BUT... if you're going to be out knee draggin and raising hell... I can't in good conscience recommend it, as leathers should be worn for such activity.

I got a fieldsheer flex from motorcycle closeouts and I love it. Used it this weekend too. It's perf leather but it was fine in the cooler morning temps with the liner.

image.php

OK, I really like the alpine star gear, but for some reason I'm in love with Icon. I know that they do not provide zippers to attach to riding pants, but I was wondering if anyone had any quality issues with the brand? Its the look that gets me. I love the accelerator perforated. Please tell me what you think of Icon. Thanks for your help.

The quality concern comes when you wreck.... As I said before... I've had several Icon Jackets... first one was a Icon Mesh Jacket... bumblebee went through it at 65mph... if it can't stop a bee... what happens in a wreck? that was the last day I wore that one... The next one was an Icon Merc Hero Leather jacket... the zippers were crap... the neck hole was over 14" .... wasn't built well... didn't function well... didn't wear well...

If you GAVE me an Icon Jacket... I wouldn't wear it.... but.. that's my opinion.... from the sounds of it... you've already made up your mind.

If you're willing to consider a non-name brand jacket I bought mine from the following guy:

http://www.artscowparts.com/

The way I found him was, like you I was in search of a quality leather jacket. In the dead of a New England winter last year I met another idiot (besides me) riding his bike with an incredible looking jacket. He was a rough looking guy who exuded a "no BS" way about him. I asked him where he got the jacket and it was this place. He said you can search high and low but you'd be hard pressed to find a jacket this tough. I went there, met Art, and loved the jackets. They're the heaviest, thickest leather jacket's I've ever seen. They blow away all the name brand ones and he's got one hanging up where the guy had wiped out at 60 MPH and a letter from the guy saying how it saved his life. The jacket is so undamaged it could be worn again. Since I've come home with mine 2 friends of mine have gone there and bought one and love them. Like myself, these two guys are lucky enough to pretty much have bought any jacket they wanted. But this is the one they went with.

Give the guy a call. He's a Vietnam Vet which makes it all the easier for me to send business his way (Thank you Veterans!). There's nothing in it for me. Just knowing this is the absolute best jacket for the money. I seem to recall it runs about $319 but I could be wrong.

Dont ask me... I am one of the Posers in the Icon gear.....:nana:

i find the jacket to be very well constructed, bought it used and more then 1/2 off, with almost no wear on it.
I will tell you to try on what you like and go from there,i can not afford the $400 jackets and the $500 helmets.

Just look aroung a bit before you pull the trigger. Might find a deal

I can't afford that stuff either... I got my Fieldsheer Leather jacket for $68 brand new on eBay.... when it got to me, it was still in the plastic.. still with the price tags on it... $480... My leather pants... I paid $90... also Fieldsheer... they were used, but in great shape... My Icon Merc Alliance... I put it on eBay... I think I sold it for $80.

Have any of you guys had experience with REV'IT gear? I really like the look and they seem to get very good reviews from what I can see. I particularly like the high quality statements in the reviews I am looking at. I am definetely looking for a quality jacket. As a matter of fact, in the 400-500 range (Which basically excludes Dianese) quality is number 1. I have to have it. Just wondering what you guys thought about it. Also, has anyone ever had Frank Thomas gear? I put a jacket on from them at the local cycle gear place and it fit the best. thanks for any help and additional suggestions.

Back