Best leather jacket brands

Well I just picked up a Frank Thomas XTi leather Jacket. While not top of the line, the quality of their gear has consistently improved over the years. Cycle Gear had these jackets for $319.00. They then clearanced them to make room for next years models which put them at $219.00. Then I happened upon a managers sale 2 weeks ago where they were offering an addition 20% off all clearanced items. I picked up the jacket at the rock bottom price of $180. $180 for a good quality leather jacket? That is right up my alley!

While maybe it will not hold up as well as an Alpine star it is still far safer than the Cortech mesh I have been using the last few years.

I am still trying to break it in so right now the sleeves are stiff and push my shoulders up a bit. When it softens up a bit it will be fine.

Frank Thomas

I have a pair of Frank Thomas gloves, can't remember what model. They were their top of the line a few years ago. The snobs at the stealership were making cracks about F.T. They said "there are two things that can be seen from space, the great wall of china and the return pile for Frank thomas". Although amusing, I have had no issues with either the gloves, which fit and work great, or the set of riding boots from them. The boots are 100% waterproof and have lots of armour.
So good for you with the jacket, if it works and the quality is there then you got an excelent deal ! Looks good to.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the US brands apart from Icon, which as stated before, is poser-gear. I buy Alpinestars and Dainese (and this is how you spell it). Dainese is the most expensive stuff, but also very good quality. Alpinestars is probably at the same level of quality, but with a smaller price tag. If you can afford it, the Dainese leather jackets have a special feel to them, they're both soft and thick, and sooo nice, but SOO expensive.

I have a Dainese Gore-Tex jacket and pants, alpinestars boots and gloves

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful thoughts. I am very appreciateive for the help with this last purchase before the bike. Do you guys think that its safe to say that besides Dainese, Alpine Star is about the best quality? I know that REV'IT is also good quality, but I was just wondering what you thought about it. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!:cheers::shine:

Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful thoughts. I am very appreciateive for the help with this last purchase before the bike. Do you guys think that its safe to say that besides Dainese, Alpine Star is about the best quality? I know that REV'IT is also good quality, but I was just wondering what you thought about it. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!:cheers::shine:

I would say that every brand you see on MotoGP riders is good. Yes, I would also say that Alpinestars is about the best quality alongside with Dainese.

I must say that I like these brands extra much also because of the design features. The Dainese devil logo, the Alpinestars star. It's like when you chose an mp3 player, the functionality is about the same, so the general look and feel is important for the first selection process.

A buddy of mine has a Spyke leather condom suit and Rev-it gore-tex 2PC set, and is very happy with both.

Let you wallet and your other senses decide which is best for you, go try them on.

I would say that every brand you see on MotoGP riders is good. Yes, I would also say that Alpinestars is about the best quality alongside with Dainese.

I must say that I like these brands extra much also because of the design features. The Dainese devil logo, the Alpinestars star. It's like when you chose an mp3 player, the functionality is about the same, so the general look and feel is important for the first selection process.

A buddy of mine has a Spyke leather condom suit and Rev-it gore-tex 2PC set, and is very happy with both.

Let you wallet and your other senses decide which is best for you, go try them on.

Thank you very much for all the help. I think it has come down to the idea you just had. After I have done my homework in determining what are the brands NOT to go with, it comes down to what my wallet and senses tell me. Thanks again

If I may ask, are you going to ride with just a jacket ? What kind of riding would that be, commuting, sport-touring? Why are you in the market for a leather jacket? Why not a gore-tex one?

I'm using just the jacket if I ride in town for doing a couple of arends. If I plan on arends all day, I usually put on all my gear.

I crashed 8 weeks ago, and had I not had the pants and boots, I'd be in a world of pain and several months of recovery. Still, even with the boots and pants, the skin from my shin bone was kindof desintegrated from the impact, and my fibula (google it) broke even though the boot took up the initial impact force.

Back