Best screen for Yamaha FZ1S

Hi,

Bought my Yamaha FZ1S about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

Plumped for a ZG touring screen after a couple of weeks.

Dont get on with it at all, the protection on my body is fantastic, but the wind noise on my helmet is now awful!!

Just wondered if anyone could reccomend an alternative that I can purchase in the uk?!

I commute 37 miles down the motorway and am 5'10.

Thanks,

James

You have a pic of your ZG windscreen on your bike? I'm not sure of the height difference with that screen compared to others. I have noticed some helmets handle wind noise better than others and a number of people recommend earplugs while riding. There is always adding speakers (Scala Rider system) to your helmet for music ;) Lol. Hope you find something that works.

I went from the stock windscreen to a ZG Double Bubble and I love it. It was a major improvement. I am 5'9" and the wind goes right up and over my helmet. Of course my Drift camera mounted on top of my helmet finds all the wind but if I crouch just a little bit then I'm all set.

Thanks for the comments.

I use an AGV GP Tech which is very quiet when riding other bikes. I find that the screen literally dumps all the wind from your body onto the sides and front of the lid.

I was thinking about the DB option, as the ZG touring screen has practically no curvature!

Do you have to crouch right down, as I usually ride sitting upright?

Cheers,

JamesView attachment 9971

National Cycle

I swapped my stock screen out for a Vstream from national cycle. Gets the wind up off your torso and onto or just over your helmet. I'm 5'11 and ride somewhat upright, the slightest crouch gets me under the airflow. Screen is about 4" taller and certainly wider than the stock screen. Happy with it so far.

Search Results

I swapped my stock screen out for a Vstream from national cycle. Gets the wind up off your torso and onto or just over your helmet. I'm 5'11 and ride somewhat upright, the slightest crouch gets me under the airflow. Screen is about 4" taller and certainly wider than the stock screen. Happy with it so far.

Search Results

I have the same screen that I use for cold days (like today) and love it.

Another good question for you... what helmet do you wear? I used to wear a Z1R and it was VERY noisy and them I bought a Shoei RF-1000 and realized that a lot of the noise comes solely from the helmet. I actually now have a Copperdog speedscreen which allows all the air to come at me but now the air is smooth and clean, not turbulent.

cobalt-albums-my-fz1-all-copperdog-d-up-picture980-dsc08688.jpg

How difficult is it to swap a stock screen in time and motion? I am tall and the wind noise on my helmet when riding the highway is enough to think about reduction.

How difficult is it to swap a stock screen in time and motion? I am tall and the wind noise on my helmet when riding the highway is enough to think about reduction.

6 plastic screws and about 5 minutes. ;) Because they are plastic, you need to be super careful about how tight they are put on. And they are plastic for a safety reason. They are designed to shear off and let the screen break away rather that shatter and leave jagged edges for the rider to get injured on in a crash.

Thanks for the comments.

I use an AGV GP Tech which is very quiet when riding other bikes. I find that the screen literally dumps all the wind from your body onto the sides and front of the lid.

I was thinking about the DB option, as the ZG touring screen has practically no curvature!

Do you have to crouch right down, as I usually ride sitting upright?

Cheers,

JamesView attachment 9971

The only time I have to crouch down is when I go over 100mph which isn't to often. Even then it's not like I'm laying on the tank...just down enough to get the wind up over my helmet and camera.

That makes sense... I'm 5-9 and wear an Arai RX-Q. I'm just able to duck under that strong flow on mine. I have a Puig windscreen.

For those complaining about noise, are you wearing ear plugs? A helmet will cut some of the wind noise and mechanical clatter, but a pair of disposable foam plugs works wonders to cut the noise down. I won't ride without them. And long term it will help save your hearing so when you get older you won't always be saying, 'huhhhhh?'

6 plastic screws and about 5 minutes. ;) Because they are plastic, you need to be super careful about how tight they are put on. And they are plastic for a safety reason. They are designed to shear off and let the screen break away rather that shatter and leave jagged edges for the rider to get injured on in a crash.

Even with aluminum screws on there I can't see the screen staying attached in a crash if there's a substantial impact on it.

If you're going to be swapping screens often you may want to invest in a set of aluminum screws. They are all over eBay and come with an Allen key design. Should prove more durable than the stock plastic ones.

I put a ZG double bubble on after the stock and i feel as though the air has went from my neck to my forehead. perfectly fine upto 80mph but anything above that i have to duck a few inches. with the standard i had to duck abit more at that speed+ with my elbows resting on my knees. one thing i might mention though i think the new screen might have effected stability of the bike when doing 130+ as the bike dosnt feel balanced anymore, but edgy now and front feels lighter and wobbly. going to tweek the suspension and buy new pilot roads to see if that fixes it.

Hi,

Bought my Yamaha FZ1S about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

Plumped for a ZG touring screen after a couple of weeks.

Dont get on with it at all, the protection on my body is fantastic, but the wind noise on my helmet is now awful!!

Just wondered if anyone could reccomend an alternative that I can purchase in the uk?!

I commute 37 miles down the motorway and am 5'10.

Thanks,

James
Ive put a 32 inch rifle screen on mine with a another uprght extender. No wind just a slght breeze and no buffeting at 100+. Have a look on my pics.

Got a Yamaha touring screen on mine and it was unbearable deep bass rumble at any speed over 40mph :ugh:. I wear a Shoei lid that's been quiet on the last three or four bikes I've ridden, so I know it's not that.

I solved mine by finding out where the screen goes quiet with regards to my head height. I found out that if I lift my butt off the seat by about 2 inch, it all goes quiet.

I carefully trimmed the screen by an inch and a half, reprofiled it the same as the original, and voilla! it's now quiet! Well the deep bass rumble has gone, and I can now hear when I get off the bike! :D

GS2000 - My God that is a tall Screen!!!!! Looks like you could stand on the tank and still be "outta the wind".

Interesting but n the Texas Breezes, I'd have to make sure I was always going "Down Wind".

Back