Bike #11! My 2002 VFR800

The black bike is a GSX-R 750. A friend of mine up north owns it and wants to sell it. He has two kids and I offered to sell or down here in the city for him. Wanna buy it?

I am a bit of a storage depot for my best friend so lots of those bike parts will eventually go away. I hope. :)

I like the VFR... Ive had a chance to fiddle with my 91 for a few days. Getting the wheels painted and new skins.

photo+2+%25282%2529.JPG

There are some beautiful wheels under that black paint.

That was my 2002 Viffer

Those are sharp!!

I have a picture (35mm) of an older one (VFR) with bright yellow where those wheels are red, polished the same way. On the red bike they looked awesome. He had painted the rad grills yellow as well. Beautiful!

Thing is, those were not polished. That's the way they look with the black paint removed. Nicely machined outer surface. The rough areas, I painted red.

Was a simple weekend job, and cost about 20 bucks.

Loved that bike...one of the best I've ever had!

The BT-021 rear is garbage. The one on the bike is getting on in years and I'm getting wheelspin now that it's around freezing. It's rock hard and doesn't get any heat in these conditions. That's a long way off the grip and feedback I got from the Pilot Road 3s in similar conditions.

I've ordered a BT-023 GT rear to match the basically new front. I hope I don't regret giving Bridgestone a shot. I'll go back to PR3s next time around either way.

It's getting really cold here already and I'm sure glad I have the scooter to get around with :D

Last edited:
Crummy conditions now, eh Jimbo? It's threading the needle between snow and rain. Brr! Pleasure riding is over for now :( I just gotta cruise around for the next few months

I just installed some Phillips Xtreme Vision H4 low beams and H7 high beams. I love the VFR headlights! :)

Last edited:
I had my sag done today and my new BT-023 GT rear tire fitted. I'm glad to get that 021 off, I could feel a big improvement straight out of the gate.

After I fitted the Givi rack & case, I was getting a fair bit of 'wallowing' from the front end, an indicator of a rear that was sagging too much. Sure enough, the rear shock preload was set nearly at the lowest setting and now the bike feels a lot better with the proper sag.

It's nice to have things correct :)

We've got some dry (but cold) weather coming up in a few days so I'll have a chance to play around with the 023s and see what I think. The only twisty highway nearby that isn't totally snowed in now has nice 'high aggregate' tarmac and lets you have fun even when it's damn cold out. Beggars can't be choosers, eh?

I seem to be averaging around 40-41 MPG mixed at the moment, better than I was expecting for the cold season where I typically see a 15% drop in fuel economy. Promising numbers for summer time touring. At 41 MPG, the 5.8 gallon tank will take me almost 240 miles before I start walking. I guess these figures will also improve as the novelty of that V4 screaming at the top of the rev range wears off :sinister:

I had my sag done today and my new BT-023 GT rear tire fitted. I'm glad to get that 021 off, I could feel a big improvement straight out of the gate.

After I fitted the Givi rack & case, I was getting a fair bit of 'wallowing' from the front end, an indicator of a rear that was sagging too much. Sure enough, the rear shock preload was set nearly at the lowest setting and now the bike feels a lot better with the proper sag.

It's nice to have things correct :)

We've got some dry (but cold) weather coming up in a few days so I'll have a chance to play around with the 023s and see what I think. The only twisty highway nearby that isn't totally snowed in now has nice 'high aggregate' tarmac and lets you have fun even when it's damn cold out. Beggars can't be choosers, eh?

I seem to be averaging around 40-41 MPG mixed at the moment, better than I was expecting for the cold season where I typically see a 15% drop in fuel economy. Promising numbers for summer time touring. At 41 MPG, the 5.8 gallon tank will take me almost 240 miles before I start walking. I guess these figures will also improve as the novelty of that V4 screaming at the top of the rev range wears off :sinister:

What did you wind up going with in the front Dustin? While I love the longevity of the 023's on the YZF, I was never thrilled with the "feedback" on the front. It always seems very vague and I'll be going back to at least the 016 for front duty next time around. My rear however has just over 3K on it and shows almost no wear and no "squaring" as the 016 did. Very happy with the grip as well.

I already had an 023 front that was put on the bike 1000 miles before I bought it so I'm running a matching set now. I agree with the lack of feel and this is something I have noticed about every Bridgestone tire I have used

Last edited:
So I happened across a guy selling a used Corbin for the VFR. He was asking a reasonable amount so I sent him a message. We ended up working out a trade for my OEM seat plus $175 cash. I rode into the US today, picked up the Corbin and shipped mine away in the same box.

I rode about 30 miles on it so far so I have no opinion on the comfort compared to the stock seat. I have only done day rides on the VFR so far but I figured it was too good of a deal to pass up. If it's anything as good as the last Corbin I had, my bum will thank me later.

There's a significant change in ergonomics with the seat. The seat is taller and also pushes you back a little bit. The angle which my feet rest has changed a bit and I also lean forward a bit more. I like it. I noticed a little less pressure on the bars this way.

I'll get a photo up some time.

I've pretty much put the VFR away for the time being. With this cold snap we've had, the roads are now being sprayed down with liquid salt and that stuff ruins bikes in a big way. If it ever warms up and starts raining again, I'll go out for a decent length ride to see how the Corbin performs.

Back