Bike repair--how long should it take?

bunky

Okay folks,
I posted earlier about my chain slapping the guard and sounding like crap when taking off, (rattling sound).

My dealership states its because my swingarm bearings and bushings and pivot pin needs to be replaced due to the fact its got 57,000 kms and also because I need a new chain due to kinking issues.
Its the reason I keep having to get chain tightened.

Was told about $275 in parts swingarm kit plus new chain) and between 3 to 4 hours to do the job (at $85/hr).

When the bike is on the centre stand, I see that the swingarm can be moved up and down as well as side to side.

So are these guys right in the time it takes?

Sounds about right. removing swing arm to do bearings is probably about an hour to remove, hour to put back on. Rest is the time to do bearings, and get it all back together properly

Just wanted to finish the thread.....

well, the bike is fixed but lost my day in dover on the 13th.

Placed it in the shop at 7:30am and they weren't done till 3pm.

Not too cheesed because they did do a great job and the cost was over $200 cheaper than they quoted. I think they lost track of how long it took them since they are in the path of all them bikers heading to Port Dover's Friday the 13th celebrations.

Can really feel the stability in the swingarm now.

Well if you want to give away the credit for the lowered price I'll take it. I was one of the bikers headed to Port Dover. Too bad you couldn't make it, it was a great turnout. It was my first trip there, I couldn't believe the number of bikes completely taking over that small town. Where in Southern Ontario are you from? :sport12:

Hey Trucker, I am in Tillsonburg. About 40 short minutes from Dover compared to your Sudbury distance.
Did you have work done at McKee's? They have been in business over 30 years. Do people right and have had repeat customers ever since.
I usually go to Dover on the Thursday night. Still tons of action without the sheer volume of the 13th riders.
Cheers to next June.

Back