Billet Cargo Rack for Givi monokey

I have been working on a stylish alternative to Givi's mounting system.
It includes a license plate bracket with an led light that will serve as both cargo rack and fender eliminator. I use a tail light with integrated turn signals, although there are holes to facilitate aftermarket turn signals. This is the second prototype and I am looking for some feedback. I hope to have this product ready to sell in a month or so. I want to make a note that the rack itself has an extra set of mounting holes so that it can be moved front to back 1.5" for increased room for a passenger. In the pictures it is shown in the forward most position.
jscaggs-albums-billet-cargo-rack-givi-monokey-ready-picture3061-fz1-rack3.jpg

jscaggs-albums-billet-cargo-rack-givi-monokey-ready-picture3091-1.jpg

jscaggs-albums-billet-cargo-rack-givi-monokey-ready-picture3058-fz1-rack1.jpg

Last edited:
The final price is not firm yet. It will be in the $3-400 range. And yes I would sell it completely finished. All components are 6061 aluminum and Type 2 anodized black. Also all the hardware necessary will be stainless steel and included as well. A bracket under the seat to help support it is the next on the list before production but I am getting close. I get a lot of compliments on it!

This is a great design. Wonder why the big brands never thought about this. Price is a bit high but I will give it consideration ..

This design is very clean, but the kits being offered by the big brands may have a bigger safety margin built in due to the design. You know there will be people that will try to stuff 50 lbs on it even if it says the weight limit is 25 lbs...

Yeah, there are guys who will try to put 50 pounds on the rack. I'm one of them, Haha. The extra bracketing under the seat will be what really makes this work. The bracket from the factory alone can't handle the stress for very long. But the potential is there and I am positive that this will be a very sturdy reliable setup. Also the Givi setup requires cutting of the undertail plastic. I can get this done without anyone having to take a hacksaw to their beautiful machines!

Very nice design. I am using a SWMotech rack and it does not require any cutting. They spread the load alone the entire tail section. If yo are not already doing so, I suggest the mounting under the tail have two bars connecting it to the foot peg mounting bolts to help the weight distribute.

I was worried about that too. But their really isn't any angle of the rear that obstructs the tail light. I will get better pictures of more angles posted soon.

Also I wanted to note that in my original post I said that the rack is in the forward most position. In the picture it is actually in the rearward most position.
I wanted to do this because for my solo riding back and forth to work (99.99% of the time) I like the luggage brought in closer behind me, it just looks better that way. However the other 00.01% she rides with me, and a little more room is needed.

Here is a picture up close of the rack in forward position.
jscaggs-albums-billet-cargo-rack-givi-monokey-ready-picture3092-2.jpeg

Yeah, there are guys who will try to put 50 pounds on the rack. I'm one of them, Haha. The extra bracketing under the seat will be what really makes this work. The bracket from the factory alone can't handle the stress for very long. But the potential is there and I am positive that this will be a very sturdy reliable setup. Also the Givi setup requires cutting of the undertail plastic. I can get this done without anyone having to take a hacksaw to their beautiful machines!

Well the amount that you have to cut from the undertail is very small and easily done with a Dremel (or something similar). It's even marked already as the same material needs to be removed to fit the Yamaha side cases available in other markets.

I don't think having to remove a small amount from the undertail will be a deal breaker for anybody if it leads to a product that's stronger and easier to fit...

Thanks guys, these are all good points. I understand that 3-400 bucks is a good chunk of change and this won't be for everyone. But, I am not new at this. High quality parts are expensive. I do think that if there was enough quantity I could bring the price down. Like I said it's just speculation.
When I started this project I was shooting for a target of no more than $250.
I may be able to get closer to that once I have the whole kit done.

Pictures don't do this thing justice!

I have been thinking a lot about this and I have some good ideas for bringing the price down and mounting it different entirely. Still mounted from underneath but using that access where the cut-outs are located.

Anyway I am leaving for vacation for a week today so there won't be any progress until I get back.

I decided to spare everyone the details of my failed attempts to finish this product and provide the additional support needed for the load and leverage of this design, but I have finally made the forming die to make the brackets I needed. I will get some pictures up soon. I have not began producing kit to sell yet but that is next on the list. I can say one thing though I prefer to over engineer my projects and this rack is every bit as strong as Givi's and no cutting required! 100% bolt on. More details and pictures are coming soon!

i will be the test monkey lol i don't care. I see you make them for the wr250 and people really like them so im not worried at all. And plus it looks way better than the givi brackets that are butt ugly.

Back