Buddy of mine wants to make a video on my FZ1

So I work with a guy who's branching out in his side-job (he's a photographer/graphic designer/videographer) in his spare time. He's been building a portfolio of different things, and one of the things he asked me after seeing my desktop and the rotating killboy pics, was if I'd want to let him strap a camera to the fz1 in a few different places and let him make a more motorsports/action type video out of the footage.

Well obviously I jumped at the chance. And i've been doing some research on where the best places to mount are on my bike, but any more advice is totally appreciated. I'd love to see any well done youtube vids or suggestions on the best places to mount (i'll probably do about a dozen or so runs down a road out here in cedar park, so we'll get a bunch of different angles). He wants to make it look professional and I watched a video he did for a hulahoop dancer girl here in austin and it's REALLY well done, so I'm trying to glean any info I can from the bike community before we start discussing the plan of attack.

So yeah, any ideas, info, anecdotal beliefs or advice is totally welcome!

One angle that I've always wanted to do but haven't found a way.......yet, is under the tail between the underbody and the rear wheel facing backwards. There is about 1/8" of clearance when the suspension compresses which is too close for comfort when your talking about a $300 dollar GoPro HD. But that will not deter me into figuring a way to do it.

On my 01' I had mounts on the swingarm, allowing forward or rear facing, one on the tail section behind the seat, also forward and rear facing, the old "tank mount" which is "oldschool" but looks good through the windshield, and lastly I had one under the nose section facing forward. They all worked well for me with decent video. There's just so much you can do on a bike. If you check my YouTube page, I have plenty of videos up to look at.....
yllib68 - YouTube

ah much appreciated. I'll send him the link to your video page so he can take a look. I've never had anyone record from my bike before so i'm a bit clueless, and we're taking a good chunk of time to take a bunch of angles so I want to make sure it's done right.

There are tons of different places to mount a GoPro (or other brand) camera on a bike. I've never made any videos, but I hope to get a GoPro HD this year and start.

In the winter, when I can't ride, I live vicariously through YouTube motorcycle videos. I guess my point is I've seen a lot. Some of my favorite to watch are ones with multiple angles that they cut between and even put an inset picture-in-picture to show synchronized video from different angles.

Now if you only have one camera, I prefer the tank mount through the windshield with the speedo and tach in view. This helps the viewer see just how hard the bike is being pushed, as the video takes away some of the excitement because you can't feel the wind, lean, g-forces, etc. I've also enjoyed some odd angles down near the ground, on the side, by the tires, over the front fender. I do feel the videos have a better impact (for me, at least) if you can see part of the bike in the shot. It helps give a stationary reference for speed and it's fun to see the suspension, chain, tires and such do its job. That's something you can't really watch as a rider. I also have enjoyed seeing the rider, or part of the rider such as watching the foot shift, the throttle hand, body shifting for corners, etc.

One other area to address is sound. I prefer just the sound of the engine and the environment. If you feel some music would enhance the video, let the engine sound bleed through some. That is one of the few things left to pull me into the excitement, especially if the speedo and tach aren't in the picture. I don't think I've seen it, but it might be good with a strange camera angle and the PIP of the speedo and tach.

I may throw up some YouTube links later when I have more time. A quick YouTube search should yield many examples. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back