Buell Blast?

Anyone have experience? Not a Harley fan, but we stopped in the shop the other day to check out a Blast for the wife. Salesman said they are low maintenance, the belt is a no maintenance for the life of the bike, and the power is great for a first time rider. Wife loved it for the seating position and low seat height.

I want to know what people think of them though. The interwebs have people spouting off each way, good and bad.

Should I stay away from this or pursue it? (2006, 700 miles, no damage, $1,650.)

No personal experience with it, but it seems like an ideal first bike, especially if she feels comfortable on it. Being a thumper I'm sure it's very rider friendly and the power wont be overwhelming. And at that price and with that mileage I say go for it if she's really going to ride.

I had an oportunity to buy one for my wife for about $1,500. I sent my local shop ownwer an e-mail asking what he thought about it.

He said "Imo stay away from the Blast, they are junk." He would stand to benefit more than any from me buying one if they were junk. I trust my shop's oppinion 100%.

But personal experience.... I have none.

I would go for a ninja 250 instead, there must be a reason Buell discontinued the blast just before Harley dumped them.

The motor cost about 3X over from Harley as to what was promised Buell. It was a total money pit for HD and was balance against Buell books. Also once the 1125 bikes were released the old Blast no longer fit.

If it's a 'Lifetime' belt, get it in writing, I bought three over 4 years. They are out of bussiness also along with terible horendous crappy sorowfull service or parts from dealers, and did I mention HD shops won't likely work on them or get you parts so you can. Bad choice,
and its too bad, the bike itself is pretty good considering its HD.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you will regret it with all the hassels you will go through maintaining the Blast. While a fairly maintenance free bike, and easy on tires, it's not in the same league with the common Buells, it doesn't handle as well and is more of a Universal street bike. The rake, seating, geometry and general makeup of the bike lean more towards something that would be modiffied as a low powered flat tracker or mabe motard, but both of those asperations would ultimatly fall flat too. You will find that harley dealers will give you the brush0off or tell you they don't handle the Buell line or parts, thuss increasing your displeasure. And their value is minimal, especially with the discontinuing of Buell by HD. All in all not a good choice. Since your here on FZ1 forum

Obviously you don't have a problem with Pacific Rim bikes, and if thats the case the Japanese offerings would be a much wiser idea. The little Ninja's are really sweet now'adays and have excelent handeling and ASTETICS ie. they LOOK Good ....!

Last edited:
Suzuki just droped the price of new GS500 by 1500.00. It was listed at the dealer today at about 4300.00 off the floor. Nice bike for beginners. Great ergos!

Back