call all DRZ400 owners advice please

Ok I am seriously thinking about buying a 2006 DRZ400SM. I know several guys here own them. This one has 6000 miles he has a new set of tires and new battery. I have talked to the guy and gotten quite a bit of info so any advice would be great. Your + and - advice would be great. Also the bike has a lien so I want to make sure I'm safe when buying it.

If I buy I'm going to get a bank cashier's check made out to the owner and lien holder.

I'm going to list in the bill of sale that the owner has so many days to get a clear title.

I plan on taking possession of the bike at the time of payment and then meeting back with the guy to do paper work in several weeks.

00N0N_1t2qnJ9zmnc_600x450.jpg

00G0G_jWtw8MRDp3R_600x450.jpg

They are great bikes, Craig, you can't go wrong. There's very little to worry about with them.

70 mph is about all I ever wanted to do on the highway, any higher and it would buzz and vibrate like crazy and fuel consumption was hideous. It's ideal for the city commuter and a lot of fun. You should see 65 mpg average mixed and more if you can stop yourself pulling wheelies going WOT everywhere. :) There's plenty of ground clearance for jumping curbs and clearing ditches

It's one of the few bikes I wish I didn't sell, loved it

Nice bike Craig the motor is really strong for being only a 400. The only major problems ive seen with these bikes is if it were overheated. Check your valves often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sweet,

Was it a regular S model ? Or did he add the tires and wheels ? If you get ride of that swing arm chain guard I want to BUY it. Many folks out here take them off and chuck em and I can't find one. Have fun, full exhust change and carb change will make that bike come alive.

It was a 2006 SM with 7000 miles the guy took really good care of it. I usually hold on to stuff I remove but Ill keep you in mind for the chain guard.

What tail light would you recommend going to? I have seen some that you had to drill holes in the plastic fender, I don't really want to do that.

Thanks Craig

It was a 2006 SM with 7000 miles the guy took really good care of it. I usually hold on to stuff I remove but Ill keep you in mind for the chain guard.

What tail light would you recommend going to? I have seen some that you had to drill holes in the plastic fender, I don't really want to do that.

Thanks Craig

Here's what I used, and it has held up very well.

$54.86 - Suzuki DRZ400 DRC L.E.D. Edge2 Red Tail Light w/ Bracket & Holder - LED Edge 2 | StarCycle, USA

Lots of info on the DRZ can be found here:
Supermoto Junkie

ThumperTalk

Fun bike, but that seat is a pain in my 48 year old arse!

I'll be selling mine in the spring since I really only have enough time for one bike, and I could use some extra space in the garage.

Learned something about your bike

Yesterday after doing some running around a friend with a DRZ 400 brought his rear wheel over so I could help him with his bearings. My new puller kit had the 17mm tool he needed. The factory bearings are not sealed on the inside, and his were in bad shape. There is an internal steel spacer tube, and one bearing on each end, each a different size (outside diameter). The inside of the hub had gotten moisture in and it was nasty. the larger bearing was nearly seized into the race, but after heating the hub with a torch we managed to get it out with the slide hammer. Thankfully the hub races where both fine. The spacer tube was rusty, but after a good scrub with a scotch-brite pad and a liberal coating of marine grease it was as good as new. The replacement bearings were completely sealed and with the inside of the hub clean and dry, he should be good for a long time now.

I was surprised to see how tiny his rear axle was compared to mine.

Back