Can a gen-2 exhaust be fitted on gen -1

firefly

I kinda like the look of gen-2 stock exhaust & was wondering if it could be fitted to gen-1 with little modification? I prefer very quiet exhausts.
Thanks

I'm sure it could but it would probably take a customized mid-pipe to connect them. Also, don't forget the Gen II can has an EXUP valve built in.

I'm sure it could but it would probably take a customized mid-pipe to connect them. Also, don't forget the Gen II can has an EXUP valve built in.

Is the EXUP valve removable? can a regular muffler shop make a mid pipe?
sorry but doesn't the gen-1 have an EXUP valve down stream?
Thanks

Yes, the Gen I has a completely different EXUP assembly (I believe) in the header. You wouldn't have to remove the Gen II EXUP but what you should to is somehow wire it open so it absolutely cannot close. It is default open but I have no idea if it could/would ever close with exhaust pressure alone and no servo attached.

Yes, the Gen I has a completely different EXUP assembly (I believe) in the header. You wouldn't have to remove the Gen II EXUP but what you should to is somehow wire it open so it absolutely cannot close. It is default open but I have no idea if it could/would ever close with exhaust pressure alone and no servo attached.

OK, that's encouraging, I see good ones on ebay, I'll give it a try maybe I can gut the valve out or weld it in open position or something, I like the short, clean black look.
Thanks again for your time.

On a Gen II the EXUP is held wide open by the spring if the cables are removed. I removed the cables, but left the motor in place when I put my MIVV on. When I re-installed the stock can, I just left the cables off and the butterfly valve stays in the open state as is, nothing else needs to be done to basically eliminate it's function.

I kinda like the look of gen-2 stock exhaust & was wondering if it could be fitted to gen-1 with little modification? I prefer very quiet exhausts.Thanks

You should be able to get a gen 2 muffler for free. Just pay shipping. Just put a wanted ad in the classified section of this forum. With it in hand it would be easy to see what is needed to mount it. I have adapted a 06 GSXR muffler to my gen 1. It wasn't hard. Here is the link to my post.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/9275-suzuki-gsxr-1000-slipon.html

I added a mackup photo for you.

Last edited:
You should be able to get a gen 2 muffler for free. Just pay shipping. Just put a wanted ad in the classified section of this forum. With it in hand it would be easy to see what is needed to mount it. I have adapted a 06 GSXR muffler to my gen 1. It wasn't hard. Here is the link to my post.

If you want to have it mounted closer to the header, you will have to have a dog leg style mid-pipe made, because the muffler front is too large for proper clearance.

That photo is exactly what I want, you guys are terrific.
Thanks

The GSXR muffler on yours looks fantastic, since you already did it I think I'll use the same muffler you used, expect me to pm you for further details.
can't thank you enough. how does it sound? on the FZ

The GSXR muffler on yours looks fantastic, since you already did it. how does it sound? on the FZ

It sounds great, quitter then most slip-ons, but a nice rumble. I replaced it with a Leo Vince SBK which is quite loud. I don't fell any difference in performance. It is easy to do. I still have a spare coupling pipe. I went through three configurations. The first got a loud thumbs down from the FZ1OA forum.

It sounds great, quitter then most slip-ons, but a nice rumble. I replaced it with a Leo Vince SBK which is quite loud. I don't fell any difference in performance. It is easy to do. I still have a spare coupling pipe. I went through three configurations. The first got a loud thumbs down from the FZ1OA forum.

Man, either you sell it to me or make me one, I am serious, I am anti loud pipes and cylindrical tubs. pm sent:drools:

Back