Chain Adj. Do you.......?

Isleoman

Site Supporter
This may only apply to Gen 1s however, when you adjust chain length do you loosen the bolt for the rear brake stay ? I've always done so because it's in the instructions but, I'm wondering what happens adversely if you don't? The axel will still move if you don't.

Does it change the rotation/orientation of the caliper on the axle, does it change the angle of the stay? Does it prevent the connection between the stay and caliper from galling?

I just put on a new DID 530 and sprockets and was adjusting it after a couple 100 miles of use. Which is how I got on the subject.

While we're talking about that bolt the lock nut on the back is always a b#%$ch to locate with a wrench.

Aren't Necessary ............Aren't Necessary............... I've wasted half my life loosening and tightening that damn bolt. Finding #26 with a wrench is always a pain. I'll have to go back to the manual to see where I got this idea.

I went back and checked the owners manual and the Service manual and neither says the brake stay bolt needs to be loosened. So I've been wasting my time for more than 20 years.

What else in my life is a sham?

Wait stop the presses. I went to Pat's FZ1 site http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/chainslackadjustment.html and there it was clear as day. I then noticed they call it the Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt and when I went back to the Service and User manuals they say the same thing. So I have been doing it right. Still don't know why I'm doing it, but at least I'm not living a sham (in that regards anyway)

Never heard of that angrlfire web page. Looks like it is dedicated to gen1. Site is packed

it says loosen the bolt up in the angelfire procedure as well. It probably to allow the caliper to be free as the axel moves. To confotm to the curve of the disk. Be my guess

Yes Pat's FZ1 Site is for Gen 1. It's filled with all types of maintenance and modding goodness. It's not just the quantity but the quality of the photos and instruction. It is the best I've ever seen on the net.

That blue bike is now owned by another FZ1OA member. Bike still looks great.

There are some other mostly Gen 1 specific sites and stand alone pages that use to be listed on FZ1OA that are still operational.

Yes Pat's FZ1 Site is for Gen 1. It's filled with all types of maintenance and modding goodness. It's not just the quantity but the quality of the photos and instruction. It is the best I've ever seen on the net.

I believe that is the site I found when I was looking for the torque specs for the fork caps when I changed my fork oil. I read the spec for the upper bracket cap nut and went with it @ 80 ft/lbs! It was several weeks before I came across the correct spec (18 ft/lbs, I think) and rectified my mistake, almost rounding the nuts off in the process...

Last edited:
Jmoto I see what you're talking about related to the Angelfire site by IowaFZ1. As you can see it hasn't seen much updating since 2002. There was/is a similar but different page of links on the FZ1OA site.

There are some other mostly Gen 1 specific sites and stand alone pages that use to be listed on FZ1OA that are still operational.

And that blue bike is going to be picked up from a pals garage in about an hour. Myself and just mentioned blue bike, are going to go for a ride, this afternoon. Sunny day, with temps. in the mid sixties.
Dean

Hope Pat doesn't find out you've abandoned his instructions. Actually I'm probably going to give up loosening it myself.

Back