Chain Adj. Do you.......?

On my 2 bikes and friends that have them, we've always loosened that bolt / nut when adjusting the chain.
One day when you have time, go thru the chain adjust procedure, with that stuff loose, and adjust all the way from pushed forwards to p ulled back. You'll see how the caliper bracket rotates there at that pivot area. Even if just a wee bit, still pivots.

On my 2 bikes and friends that have them, we've always loosened that bolt / nut when adjusting the chain.
One day when you have time, go thru the chain adjust procedure, with that stuff loose, and adjust all the way from pushed forwards to p ulled back. You'll see how the caliper bracket rotates there at that pivot area. Even if just a wee bit, still pivots.

As I suspected.

I wonder if that area pivots? Have a feeling it does.

That was going to be my next thing to try. I was going to remove the front bolt from the brake stay and see if the stay pivots on the rear bolt when it's tight. Might be a function of how tight the rear bolt and nut are.

That was going to be my next thing to try. I was going to remove the front bolt from the brake stay and see if the stay pivots on the rear bolt when it's tight. Might be a function of how tight the rear bolt and nut are.

Only time I ever touched that bolt and the brake stay, is when I pulled off the swing arm on the 2002 FZ1. Thought greasing the needle bearings, that the swing arm pivots on, was a good idea.

I really should pull off the swing arm on Pat's old bike, and grease the bearings in that one, also. Probably will do it, when we get our first snow, of the winter! Hmm, wait a minute, has not snowed here, in over twenty years! Well, it could happen!

Dean

Back