Changed oil today for my 1st time

Everything went smooth for my first oil change. Went w/Mob-1 10-40W 4T and Walmart supertech 7317. I have the lower fairing so I had to remove a few bolts to get at the filter and 17mm drain plug. Couldn't tell if crush washer was good or bad so left it on there. Used the new 'plier type' filter wrench and it worked well. Tipped the bike over as low as I could hold it to get the last drops out and filled back up w/about 3.6 qrts. Kinda tricky getting the filter back on tight, had to lay down to get a good angle w/my right hand and snugged it up pretty tight with no drips or leaks. Bike runs great. Previous owner had used nothing but Yamalube but I wanted to switch to M1. It shifts great as well. This is a nice bike!

Great job! Its not so bad. That filter is what I'll be changing over to on the next change. At $2.78 at Walmart, you can't beat it. It also was on the list as one of the better filters. I believe it's made by Champion.

use a K&N filter next time -- it has a 17mm socket head on it that makes it easy as pie to get on/off -- I'll be sure to grab a part number next time I'm getting ready to leave for I have the box saved.

It also appears to be one of the higher grade filters from one of the threads that compare how the same manufacturers can make differnt grade filters -- and some of the higher grade filters really are not that great....

I'll go search for that thread as well -- may be in the "other" forum...

congrats -- now get ready to do the valve check -- piece of cake -- (then pass on your knowledge so I'll know how to do it.....)

I cannot remember why they are not recommended though. I'm not sure if it was price only or something about the filtering they use. I do my best to stick to the recommended list. I wish some of those had the nut built-in like K&N though.

Back