Cheap(er) Oil & Filter Change

Recon Viper 1

I don't know why I'm doing this. I know I'm going to bring down a world of hurt on myself and I'm still going to do it. Even worse, I'm going to discuss "oil", "filters" and "Wally World" in one post.

The oil is synthetic motorcycle oil and there will be a legion of angered oil changers who insist that common automobile oil is sufficient. Whatever you say. I am confident that someone will assure me that used oil from the Lube 'N Oil Center is fine and I'm not going to disagree with anyone and invoke your anger.

Here it is.

I use Mobil 1 4T Racing 10/40 oil that I buy at Wal-Mart and the price has gone from $7.97 to $9.97 overnight. I know that Wal-Mart is part of a huge, international communist conspiracy and I promise not to mention them again.

I always figure on a 4 quart oil change just be on the safe side, even though it's really only a 3.2 quart oil change. But, let's figure 4 quarts and let's round out the price to $10 per quart for convenience. 40 bucks and no filter.

Here's the deal. AutoZone has a special on until the end of the month where you get 4 quarts of your choice of Mobil 1, Castrol or Valvoline motorcycle synthetic oil and 1 Fram oil filter for $34.99. OK, I know I said "Fram filter" and I can hear the shrieks of anger but I'm not done. I enjoy pain.

AutoZone also carries Mobil 1 filters and I tried to find a reference book and I couldn't and the store was too busy to find someone that could make decisions but I am going to propose to the manager that he keep the Fram filter and apply the retail price as a credit towards a Mobil 1 filter.

If he accepts the idea, I get 4 quarts of premium oil and a usable filter for the same price as 4 quarts of oil at...............you know.........that other place. It begins with "W".

If he doesn't, I still get the oil $5 cheaper and I'll use the filter as a paper weight.

I've been happy with my sub-$30 oil changes. One gallon of Shell Rotella T6 for $20 at Wal-Mart and a HiFloFiltro filter from the interwebs for around $6-$10 each depending on the bike. Buy in bulk and save more as well.

Keep your eyes peeled at various Wal-Marts as well, often I have found $1 off coupons stuck to the side of the Rotella jugs and that's when I stock up. At the moment, I think I have 5 gallons

Last edited:
I think I paid $23 for Rotella T6 at Advance Auto.

I think I covered that at the beginning.

The oil is synthetic motorcycle oil and there will be a legion of angered oil changers who insist that common automobile oil is sufficient.

I was actually focusing on folks that used motorcycle oil and not intending to stimulate a discussion on whether motorcycle oil was a good value nor a necessity.

I was actually focusing on folks that used motorcycle oil and not intending to stimulate a discussion on whether motorcycle oil was a good value nor a necessity.

I see what you're saying but I fear you are misinformed.

The main reason why motorcycles cannot use 'car' oils is because there are friction modifiers in car oils that are incompatible with our wet clutches and will cause problems. Rotella and other diesel engine oils do not contain these modifiers and are completely fine to use with bikes! :)

Rotella is JASO-MA certified which is a standard for motorcycle compatible oils. In my eyes, it's a motorcycle oil!

Last edited:
The main reason why motorcycles cannot use 'car' oils is because there are friction modifiers in car oils that are incompatible with our wet clutches and will cause problems. Rotella and other diesel engine oils do not contain these modifiers and are completely fine to use with bikes! :)

Rotella is JASO-MA certified which is a standard for motorcycle compatible oils

Now that is what I identify as valuable information. I've compared labels and looked at the various standards noted and could never garner anything from it but I appreciate this information and presume it is accurate.

Thank you!

You mentioned buying Rotella in "gallons" and I wondered if that was in humongous Canadian gallons, which would be a heck of a deal, or US?

I can't envision Wal-Mart in Blaine, Lynden or Sumas (well, maybe in Blaine) and wondered if you were riding to Bellingham to bring back oil. Can you expand on that?

Also would like to know, where are you commuting to and from?

I always convert the measurements for you guys on this forum. ;) They're 3.8L jugs.

Yes, I do drive to Bellingham which is the closest Wal-Mart that has it. I often travel down there to shop and I just load up my top and side cases with as much cereal & foods, oil and shop supplies that I can carry and then fuel up at the border.

Where am I commuting? Anywhere a person may need to commute. :D

I just load up my top and side cases with as much cereal & foods, oil and shop supplies that I can carry and then fuel up at the border.

:D

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down. Stop right there!

Do you mean you're buying fuel in the US of A because it's cheaper than the Canuckian gas? It's no darned wonder that our gas prices are so high here if you're buying it and taking it out of the country.

Say hello to "Duane" at the border.

Dustin is spot-on with the specs. It's not the fact that it is motorcycle-specific oil, it's because the oil the bike requires needs to meet the specs listed in your owners manual (Freely available from the Yamaha corporate site). As he's stated, automotive oils are enhanced with friction modifiers which will cause our wet clutches to slip and prematurely burn out.

From the manual:
Recommended oil
YAMALUBE 4, SAE10W30 or SAE20W40

Recommended oil grade
API service SE, SF, SG type or higher

well now this is the first time any out there has said why there is a "problem" in using some oils.
it is not how good or how bad the "oil" is.
but it is a additive that hurts the clutch.

:chat:

:lurking:

:disturbed

well now this is the first time any out there has said why there is a "problem" in using some oils.
it is not how good or how bad the "oil" is.
but it is a additive that hurts the clutch.

:chat:

:lurking:

:disturbed

Thats true. For bikes that utilize wet clutch systems, they don't recommend using any oil that has the "Energy Conserving" stamp on the back.

I know times are tough and a buck saved here and there adds up, but I'm not going to chase all around the place to buy oil and filter for the machine to save a buck or two. I'm 2 miles from the Walmart and I get the Shell Rotella T6 (blue jug) for about $20, incl tax. I shop online at Amazon and can buy a K&N 204 filter (with the handy nut welded on the end) for about $10.69 delivered to my door. Using 3 quarts out of the gallon jug ($15) plus the filter means I'm getting a complete change with top quality Synthetic JASO MA oil for about $26 total. And I can do the complete change with nothing more than a drain pan, a 17mm closed end wrench, and a few paper towels for cleanup, what could be easier? That comes out to less than a penny per mile ...... that's cheap, cheap, cheap. No sense to overwork it, imo. Time really is money and I'd rather be out riding.

Last edited:
Just for the record Rotella synthetic is JASO MA rated oil. That means its approved for motorcycles and has passed the friction test for motorcycle wet clutches .

Any oil with JASO MA is fine for a wet clutch. Any oil with Energy Conserving and especially Energy Conserving II on the bottle is a bad idea for a wet clutch.

Mobil 1 often has coupons on the website :)

The Pep Boys near me usually puts Mobil 4T on sale once or twice a year. Keep an eye out for a sale.

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm doing this. I know I'm going to bring down a world of hurt on myself and I'm still going to do it. Even worse, I'm going to discuss "oil", "filters" and "Wally World" in one post.

The oil is synthetic motorcycle oil and there will be a legion of angered oil changers who insist that common automobile oil is sufficient. Whatever you say. I am confident that someone will assure me that used oil from the Lube 'N Oil Center is fine and I'm not going to disagree with anyone and invoke your anger.

Here it is.

I use Mobil 1 4T Racing 10/40 oil that I buy at Wal-Mart and the price has gone from $7.97 to $9.97 overnight. I know that Wal-Mart is part of a huge, international communist conspiracy and I promise not to mention them again.

I always figure on a 4 quart oil change just be on the safe side, even though it's really only a 3.2 quart oil change. But, let's figure 4 quarts and let's round out the price to $10 per quart for convenience. 40 bucks and no filter.

Here's the deal. AutoZone has a special on until the end of the month where you get 4 quarts of your choice of Mobil 1, Castrol or Valvoline motorcycle synthetic oil and 1 Fram oil filter for $34.99. OK, I know I said "Fram filter" and I can hear the shrieks of anger but I'm not done. I enjoy pain.

AutoZone also carries Mobil 1 filters and I tried to find a reference book and I couldn't and the store was too busy to find someone that could make decisions but I am going to propose to the manager that he keep the Fram filter and apply the retail price as a credit towards a Mobil 1 filter.

If he accepts the idea, I get 4 quarts of premium oil and a usable filter for the same price as 4 quarts of oil at...............you know.........that other place. It begins with "W".

If he doesn't, I still get the oil $5 cheaper and I'll use the filter as a paper weight.

I did my oil, filter and coolant change today. Motul 5100 10W40 at $70.00 for 4 litres (1.05 US Gallons) Yamaha filter $23.00 and Shell coolant $20.00 for 2 litres. I thought I did well!!! Some Motul oils ran over $120 for 4 litres. Most quality oils are in this $ range.
That's AUD$. They really know how to charge $$ here in Australia. I don't know what you pay in the US but here's a few recent ones - Bike registration for the year - $584 (car is more). Speed fine 6kph over - $153. New FZ1N - $16,500 Plus on road costs (Stamp Duty alone at $700 plus Rego.) Not whinging - were used to being ripped off!!!!!:jaw drop::jaw drop:

Last edited:
I did my oil, filter and coolant change today. Motul 5100 10W40 at $70.00 for 4 litres (1.05 US Gallons) Yamaha filter $23.00 and Shell coolant $20.00 for 2 litres. I thought I did well!!! Some Motul oils ran over $120 for 4 litres.
That's AUD$. They really know how to charge $$ here in Australia. I don't know what you pay in the US but here's a few recent ones - Bike registration for the year - $584 (car is more). Speed fine 6kph over - $153. New FZ1N - $16,500 Plus on road costs (Stamp Duty alone at $700 plus Rego.) Not whinging - were used to being ripped off!!!!!:jaw drop::jaw drop:

Man! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm also glad I don't live "down under" cause I'd be taking public transportation!

Back