CHP Safety Vid

Posted on my local club's site, Morohouston.com.

CHP - Motorcycle Safety - Informational Video

Long but well done. One CHP officer summarizes our responsabilities as riders better than anything I have ever heard:
"As a motorcyclist, YOU have to assume that people aren't going to see you. YOU need to take extra care. Make sure that before you pass that vehicle, they understand that your coming. Because you don't have to ride for yourself, you have to ride for everyone else around you, and be ready for that vehicle that's gonna change lanes into you".

I constantly hear younger riders say "F***ing cagers..." Blah Blah Blah! I have always believed that I am the one accepting responsibility for everything around me the minute I throw my leg over the bike.

As much as I would love for motorists to look over ther shoulder before changing lanes it just ain't ever going to happen. Whining and complaining about it changes nothing. You just have to be a more alert and safe rider. You must make your self visible with gear, lane position lights and horn. You must accept the inherent dangers that are out there. And as a big P.S. leave the racing to the track. No one in a car can be trained to spot if you are only in a visible spot for 1/4 of a second before you try to over take.

I have watched the video and its good information. Of course on You tube there a bunch of crash video's and lots of shock value. Being a grim reaper (funeral director) several times a year I get to see first hand what happens to riders at my funeral home. I saw a rider last year who was wearing proper clothing, helment and riding in the right hand lane on his cruser at about 50 MPH minding his own business. Some elderly person was in the far left lane of three lanes all heading the same way and decided to turn right abruptly in front of the bike and the bike T-Boned the riders side of the car and killed the rider as well as the mans wife who was asleep in the riders seat with her head against the window on a pillow. The bike rider was 60+ years old the woman in the car was 70+ years old and neither new what hit them. The riders face was pasted to the rain gutter on the car it was a pot type helment and from the nose down his face was a mess. I think the guy in the car was too old to be driving but this is still florida and this took place in a city of retirees in mid florida one of heavens waiting rooms. I think if you
are riding like you have some sense and someone kills you it was just your time. No different from dying from cancer or anything else, its just your time.

Preaching to the Choir

Posted on my local club's site, Morohouston.com.

CHP - Motorcycle Safety - Informational Video

Long but well done. One CHP officer summarizes our responsabilities as riders better than anything I have ever heard:
\\"As a motorcyclist, YOU have to assume that people aren't going to see you. YOU need to take extra care. Make sure that before you pass that vehicle, they understand that your coming. Because you don't have to ride for yourself, you have to ride for everyone else around you, and be ready for that vehicle that's gonna change lanes into you\\".

I constantly hear younger riders say \\"F***ing cagers...\\" Blah Blah Blah! I have always believed that I am the one accepting responsibility for everything around me the minute I throw my leg over the bike.

As much as I would love for motorists to look over ther shoulder before changing lanes it just ain't ever going to happen. Whining and complaining about it changes nothing. You just have to be a more alert and safe rider. You must make your self visible with gear, lane position lights and horn. You must accept the inherent dangers that are out there. And as a big P.S. leave the racing to the track. No one in a car can be trained to spot if you are only in a visible spot for 1/4 of a second before you try to over take.

I totally agree. On more than a few times in the last 28 years It would have been "game over" if I wasn't driving like everyone around me was out to kill me. I remember late one night in downtown Calgary having to do serious evasive manouvers when a cab ran a red light and would have T-boned me. If I had not noticed that he was moving too quickly for a car coming up to a red light I would not be making this post.:eek5:

Nothing could be more true! Just Saturday at work, I went out to rent a U-Haul for a customer and I looked down the block and there was this guy on the floor with a Ford Explorer facing the wrong way. Everyone was rushing over to the scene and it wound up that some guy on a sportbike was traveling under the elevated train when the guy in the SUV went to make a U-Turn. Well, you can imagine what happened next. The cyclist t-boned the SUV right in the driver's side door. They said later on that he was in pretty bad shape. I don't believe that he was wearing any protective gear other than a helmet! You can only pray that he survived. I know sometimes that riding is less enjoyable when you have to assume that everyone is out to get you but during the busy hours of the day, you have no choice. I always assume that the guy next to me is going to swerve over at any moment, or the guy in front is going to hit his brakes. Thats what has kept me accident free for 32 years riding a motorcycle. I also try and ride when traffic is at it's lightest. My son hates that since he's not a morning person. When I ride on the weekend, I am back home just as everyone is coming outside to go places.

Back