College In The 2,000's

So my son sends me this text from a presentation he was doing on Obama Care in school. So this is what goes on in college these days? Back in 1980, It was "in at 8:30am and out at 3:30pm", Monday thru Friday. Richie goes in 3 days a week, and that's full time!

IMG_4546_zpsb924a4a9.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry. I couldn't make out the name tag.

IMG_4546_zps71751dcf.jpg

Last edited:
Its not just that Billy, every thing is going soft now days. I hurd now in Army basic training you can have a time out if you get stressed or tired.

I am not sure if I would trust a dr with that name. haha

Its not just that Billy, every thing is going soft now days. I hurd now in Army basic training you can have a time out if you get stressed or tired.

I am not sure if I would trust a dr with that name. haha

Oh I know Mikey. I was just making light of the situation. When I was in college, there wasn't any partying or anything like that. It was pretty much the same as high school, only with no age limits. You needed a full week of school to amass your 12 credits for full time.

"Uh, excuse me, Sarge??, I'm feeling a little stressed right now, gonna sit this one out, okay?" Hahahahaha!!!!!! I could only imagine!

So my son sends me this text from a presentation he was doing on Obama Care in school. So this is what goes on in college these days? Back in 1980, It was "in at 8:30am and out at 3:30pm", Monday thru Friday. Richie goes in 3 days a week, and that's full time!

And what do you have to pay for this privilege of 'higher education' for your son? That's probably where the real crime is occuring.

And what do you have to pay for this privilege of 'higher education' for your son? That's probably where the real crime is occuring.

Well, actually I pay nothing out of pocket. He goes on Scholarships and Grants. I'm hoping that everyone doesn't get the impression that I'm mad. I posted this because I saw the difference between when I went to college and college these days. Richie is actually doing very well in school.

Back when you old farts went to college, professors had to write all their shit down or use a projector with those clear sheets! And YOU had to write it all down by pen. I bet that took 8 hours for sure :)

Back when you old farts went to college, professors had to write all their shit down or use a projector with those clear sheets! And YOU had to write it all down by pen. I bet that took 8 hours for sure :)

Thats Right!!! And we had to walk shoeless, uphill, both ways to school, and we liked it!!!!! :cuss: Hahahaha!!!!!

Yep! We did all that without Google, Iphone and Internet was just something the Nerds were playing around with. I can remember how happy we were to go back to school on Monday to tell all the stupid $hit we did during the weekend... ya, no FB too. Don't get me start on the music...LOL The good old days! :thewave:

I agree... all but the engineers... i'm in my sophmore year for Mechanical Engineering, i go from 7am to 5pm everyday. My 1 credit project design lab needed for AS degree consumes about 30+ hours a week on its own. I quickly said goodbye to the old job these last two semesters, as well as throwing money into the bike :ugh: We in the engineering department have not too many nice things to say about the other wings of the building... it falls along the lines of "People actually pay for this?!"

The interesting thing is I was straddled in the middle of the bygone era you are referring to and modern higher education.

The first 2 years of my undergrad were pen in notebooks taking down notes from the projector with the clear plastic dry erase stuff. The last 2 we were starting to get notes posted off the internet. My senior year I was posting 19 semester hours and working 30 hours a week as an assistant retail store manager. I still found time to party 4-5 nights a week because I had my schedule rigged for a noon start on MWF and 9:15 till 5:00 on Tuesday/Thursday with one night class Wednesday 5-9. Pretty much the only nights I didn't go out were Monday and Wednesday. About 80% of my undergrad was scholarship and grants.

My med school started with the first year getting most of my notes off the internet and some old bags still using the projector method. By the time I was done we were doing tests online. Most of the stuff was multiple choice and hardly did we ever have to write an answer or explanation for our choices.

I went on to a residency and adjunct faculty member and found that students verbal reasoning and communications were weak from almost everything being multiple choice.

I agree... all but the engineers... i'm in my sophmore year for Mechanical Engineering, i go from 7am to 5pm everyday. My 1 credit project design lab needed for AS degree consumes about 30+ hours a week on its own. I quickly said goodbye to the old job these last two semesters, as well as throwing money into the bike :ugh: We in the engineering department have not too many nice things to say about the other wings of the building... it falls along the lines of "People actually pay for this?!"

I got an engineering degree too many years ago to state here, but I used a slide rule to get me through, no electronic calculators in existence. It was no nonsense and tough. I took a 1 credit hour main frame computer course and it consumed more of my time than the other subjects, so that is the way it is. Anyway, with an engineering degree you should enjoy good employment for your career as long as you are flexible and willing to go where the jobs are. You are in a far better position than those who have degrees in Art History, Women's Studies, and the other silly degrees that we seem to confer these days. Keep your head down, get the degree and start making some real money.

I went on to a residency and adjunct faculty member and found that students verbal reasoning and communications were weak from almost everything being multiple choice.

The reason they went to multiple choice is it makes it easier on the instructors (no messy analyzing what is actually written down, and the teaching assistants and such are so busy), and it makes it kinder for the student because he just has to pick from 4 or 5 choices so his self image won't be damaged by making him look stupid because he can't string a coherent thought together in a couple of paragraphs. It's all foolishness but that is how our higher education has developed. Analytical skills ..... fuggedaboutit, that's too old fashioned.

Last edited:
I'm at cwu right now spring quarter starts tomorrow. I will have my last calc class along quantitative reasoning and geomorphology. The 3 hours I have class for 3 days out of the week do very little to prepare me for exams. The bulk of my time is spent outside of class teaching myself. I would prefer smaller classrooms and longer days. Then it would make it seem like I'm getting something out of the huge cost it is to go to school.

Oh I know Mikey. I was just making light of the situation. When I was in college, there wasn't any partying or anything like that. It was pretty much the same as high school, only with no age limits. You needed a full week of school to amass your 12 credits for full time.

"Uh, excuse me, Sarge??, I'm feeling a little stressed right now, gonna sit this one out, okay?" Hahahahaha!!!!!! I could only imagine!

New recruits/Privates have truly changed. I had two recently return from Initial Entry Training... One came back and military discipline was instilled. She snaps to parade rest whenever I enter the room and will not walk past me without requesting permission to pass. The other Private came back and his Sergeants have their work cut out for him. He acts as if rank doesn't mean anything to him and definetly went through a less disciplined training. He will either get smart or get strong rather quickly.

I love the kindler gentler Army. :fencers:

I graduated with my BS in engineering in May of 2008, and let me tell you I spent most weekend nights doing homework until 1am while everyone else was out at the bars. Our workload left us either in class or doing endless hours of homework. Our only sanity came from drinking a bottle of whiskey WHILE doing our work. Definitely didn't have the full blown party experience many had in college, but I also have a good paying job in my chosen field unlike many partiers I knew.

Back