Concours 14

CGFZ1

Should I feel guilty about liking this motorcycle as much as I do? I feel like I am almost cheating on my FZ1. I have liked the Connie 14 since it came out but lately I have really been considering one. The worst part is I would have to give up the FZ1 to get it (bosses orders, something about too many toys in the garage?? not sure what she meant I wasn't really listening:)

What do my fellow FZ1 owners think of the Concours 14, just curious?

Keep the rubber side down,

Chad

I know a guy who rides one.......and he likes it. But he is a new rider. He says he likes the "comfort".

It's too much plastic, fairing for my taste.

I have also been feeling the pull of the Connie 14 and the FJR. I'm old and fat and would love to have a comfort machine for longer rides or less than perfect weather. I've never ridden the Connie 14, but I have ridden an FJR and loved it. I'm not at a point where I want to give up my FZ1, and I just don't have the extra money for another bike at the moment. I do think the Connie 14 is a bit better bike than the FJR, but having never ridden one, it's a bit of an empty statement.

If you feel you'd be happier with a sport touring bike, then the Connie 14 is a great choice. Maybe Norm or FZ1inNH (Eric) can chime in as they have ridden both the FZ1 and Connie 14. I'm sure there are concessions to be made either way.

If money were no object (which it of course, always is), I'd love the new BMW K1600GT or GTL. That inline 6 and all the extras are very attractive (just not $25,000-$30,000) :(

:rmwl:

Other than the ugliness, its a great bike. The drivetrain is amazing. Its probably the top sport tour out there. It blows the FJR away. I agree. Go for it.

I have test ridden one on a couple of different occasions and it's a great sport tourer, better than the FJR1300.

If you can only have one bike and do a lot of touring then it makes sense. In that respect it will be better than the FZ1...

If you only tour occasionally, but want the convenience of hard bags then keep the FZ1 and add a set of Give V35's...that's what I did ;)

Norm has one and I've put over 1200 miles on his C14 in two visits. For a guy with my build or bigger, it's a sweet ride. The bike is very comfortable and the power is incredible. Flat out, the FZ1 will win though. The C14 is very predictable with throttle response and the tranny is butter smooth. Put the aftermarket larger screen all the way up and you get ZERO wind at WOT... you can ride with your visor up. It gets better gas mileage than the FZ1 AND has a larger tank. It can corner very well but is top heavy. The hard bags are awesome for storage and small grocery runs. Great tourer but you CAN carve and have a lot of fun on this machine.

Note!: Do NOT get anything older than the 2010. They are problematic and Kawasaki finally worked out the bugs by 2010. Norm had an '09 and traded it for the 2010. Well worth the update!

If money were no object (which it of course, always is), I'd love the new BMW K1600GT or GTL. That inline 6 and all the extras are very attractive (just not $25,000-$30,000) :(

:rmwl:

Troy, even if I had money to burn, after riding both the C14 and the BMW, I'd still take the Connie. Hands down the best sport touring bike I've had the pleasure of riding. The BMW is nice but it's a lot of money for less performance IMHO. ;)

Troy, even if I had money to burn, after riding both the C14 and the BMW, I'd still take the Connie. Hands down the best sport touring bike I've had the pleasure of riding. The BMW is nice but it's a lot of money for less performance IMHO. ;)

Thanks, Eric. That's good to know. I'll look for a 2010 Connie 14. I was taken in by all the electronic bells and whistles on the BMW. Not that I could buy either for a few years, but I know what to look for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine just got the latest Connie, not sure if it's considered a 2011 or 12 model. They say the newest model does a better job of keeping the engine heat off of the rider.

I came to the FZ1 from a Honda ST1300.
The main problem for me with these sport-touring bikes is the size & weight.

If I could only have one bike in the garage, it wouldn't be a 700 pound beast. That's a big part of why I sold the ST1300. Well, that, and we have no time now to take multi-state trips several times a year.

The big ST bikes do the job well, but that's a lot of motorcycle to live with if you're just commuting or doing weekend day rides.

Back