Considering an FZ1

kl_237

Hello all,

I'm Kevin and I currently live in Newport News, VA. I'm 27, married and have three kids--all boys, 4, 2, and 5mos. I don't own an FZ1, but may be purchasing one soon. I rode dirt bikes for years--I know, they are not really comparable to street bikes--and have been riding a Suzuki GS500 for a little over a year now and have ridden friends' bikes around a little bit as well--2001 FZ1, 2006 GSXR 750, 1999 Honda Shadow, 2001 R6. I love to ride but the GS500 had become more of a burden than a toy in the last couple months so it was time to say goodbye. I definitely want to step up to a larger bike, preferably an FZ6, SV650, R6, GSXR 600 or 750, but I've been offered a pretty good deal on an FZ1 from a buddy of mine that I don't know if I can pass up.

I'm originally from O'Fallon, IL (suburb of St. Louis) and have been in the Air Force for 6 years.

I basically wanted to join the site to get more information about the FZ1 before I think about buying one. I know 500cc to 1000cc is a HUGE step up in terms of power so I'm still pretty hesitant about buying the bike. I've ridden the bike a couple times, just around town...never really got on it. Anyway, just here for information, opinions, and hopefully to learn a thing or two.

Thanks!

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. Also, thanks very much for serving and protecting our great country. I truly respect all you service men and women.

If your getting a good deal on the bike, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. The FZ is not one of those ungodly beasts that cannot be tamed, that is until you hit 8,000rpms:D Thats when they usually wake up so you had better be holding on tight. If you are proficient on the bike you have now I wouldn't worry about it. It took me about 3 months to become fully adapted to the extra power, and now, I feel at one on my FZ. It's all about your throttle hand and getting used to the additional weight which you get adjusted to rather quickly. Feel free to post a shot of your current bike. I love those GS bikes and am thinking about one for my son. My second bike was a GS550E back in 1985. It was a great bike and I had a ball on it. Is your GS an "F" version with the fairing or naked? Billy.

I can't say it better than Billy did. You'll love the FZ1 !!

I was in the same boat. Prior I had a 93 600cc Seca II. I jumped into a FZ1 and haven't regretted it for a moment. NOT A MOMENT !

Welcome!

p.s. Thanks for serving our good ol' U.S. of A !!

Last edited:
go for it, you'll not regret it! It has the perfect balance between a sporty bike and a touring bike. You can take it to the track and to the mountain roads. It has a good riding position, and lately I'm exercising low speed exercises (u-turn/8-turns...) and it has great handling

Is the "deal" for your friend's '01 FZ1? Why has the Suziki become a "burden"?

Welcome to the forum and any questions that you might come up with, ask away!

Adam

Welcome to the forum. To tell you the truth, to get an unbiased answer you should read some of the road tests done by rags such as Cycle World. They are able to make comparisons of the very latest bikes out there. I read and read until I made the decision to buy an FZ1. You definitely need to be looking for a road worthy sport bike to want one of these. A cruiser it isn't and an all out racer it isn't either.

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. Also, thanks very much for serving and protecting our great country. I truly respect all you service men and women.

If your getting a good deal on the bike, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. The FZ is not one of those ungodly beasts that cannot be tamed, that is until you hit 8,000rpms:D Thats when they usually wake up so you had better be holding on tight. If you are proficient on the bike you have now I wouldn't worry about it. It took me about 3 months to become fully adapted to the extra power, and now, I feel at one on my FZ. It's all about your throttle hand and getting used to the additional weight which you get adjusted to rather quickly. Feel free to post a shot of your current bike. I love those GS bikes and am thinking about one for my son. My second bike was a GS550E back in 1985. It was a great bike and I had a ball on it. Is your GS an \"F\" version with the fairing or naked? Billy.
Yeah, it's only as fast as you turn the throttle. Mine was a naked "E." It was a really fun bike to ride...very light, agile. Had enough power but was still pretty tame.

Is the \"deal\" for your friend's '01 FZ1? Why has the Suziki become a \"burden\"?

Welcome to the forum and any questions that you might come up with, ask away!

Adam
Yeah, he's asking $3000 for a 2001 with 20k miles on it. The miles are a little high, but I know the guy well and he takes very good care of all his bikes so I know it is in good working order.

The GS was having carb issues because I let it sit all winter. We had just had our third child and I had other priorities I guess. I'd cleaned the carbs twice on it and it was still not running right nor dependable. The second time I cleaned them, I put the washers that hold the needle against the spring in the wrong order and ended up flooding the left side because the needle stuck open. Shop wanted to charge me $420 to replace spark plugs, change oil--there was gas in crankcase--and clean carbs (they did not need it) before they could look at the carbs to see what was wrong with them.

I took it home to change the oil myself and ended up breaking one of the studs that hold the oil filter cover so it had a slow leak. After that, I was basically so frustrated with it and myself that I had run out of patience. It needed someone with more time and knowledge than me to work on it and I had just run out of patience and it wasn't worth spending what the shop was trying to charge me.

I also want to thank you for serving to protect our freedom! :D

As for the bike? Sounds like a good deal to me! But, you'll need to find time to take care of her properly, especially when it will be parked for extended periods of time. :D

Back