Coolant change questions

I have a 2009 FZ1 bought new 2010. At 9k miles I drained the factory coolant from the radiator drain bolt and the lowest hose on what looks like the water pump housing located lower right front of engine (when sitting on bike). I didnt flush it, just filled up with maxima coolanol. Started the bike and let it "burp" air and added more coolant as needed. Shut it off, let the level drop and added more. I did that until level was stable. Then added coolant to the vent reservior. Now my bike definitely runs hotter. Doesnt overheat, but 10 degrees or so hotter than it normally does. Fans kick on at 212-214, temp will go to 218 sometimes, which I have never seen on this bike even in middle of summer. The temp will come down and stay around 205 give or take.
Did I do the drain/fill process wrong? What is the proper way to flush system? Or is it the coolanol? Outside air temp mid 80's- mid 90's. Located in N. Texas. Sorry for the novel, trying to cover all info.

I have a 2009 FZ1 bought new 2010. At 9k miles I drained the factory coolant from the radiator drain bolt and the lowest hose on what looks like the water pump housing located lower right front of engine (when sitting on bike). I didnt flush it, just filled up with maxima coolanol. Started the bike and let it "burp" air and added more coolant as needed. Shut it off, let the level drop and added more. I did that until level was stable. Then added coolant to the vent reservior. Now my bike definitely runs hotter. Doesnt overheat, but 10 degrees or so hotter than it normally does. Fans kick on at 212-214, temp will go to 218 sometimes, which I have never seen on this bike even in middle of summer. The temp will come down and stay around 205 give or take.
Did I do the drain/fill process wrong? What is the proper way to flush system? Or is it the coolanol? Outside air temp mid 80's- mid 90's. Located in N. Texas. Sorry for the novel, trying to cover all info.

I have an 09 N model and it runs at exactly the same temps. as yours. I converted your F to my C and allowed for your current air temps. as stated. So it sounds ok to me. I changed my coolant recently but drained it using the drain bolt only. I removed my overflow container and washed it out. I measured the drained coolant and it was only 50ml less than the full amount of 2.25 Litres. So, the FZ coolant drain system get's almost all the fluid out so I did not see the need to flush. That included the contents of the overflow. Also, I had no need to run the bike - I just filled the radiator and overflow tank with a slight adjustment after running. I used a Shell concentrate at 50% coolant to distilled water. Unfamiliar with Maxima products. Check your radiator level and overflow level when cold. Was the Maxima diluted to about 50%? If your levels and concentration are correct all should be well. Unsure about the 10F higher. Cheers.

I have an '09 and am in Central Texas so I run in similar climate as you. I haven't touched my system and it runs 178-185 deg at highway speeds (65-70 mph), and that includes a RadArmor radiator guard which cuts down the airflow by about 20% compared to stock. I don't drive much in traffic but it will pop up to 212 or so at which time the fans turn on, but once moving again the temps drop down to the range above. It does sound like you are running a bit hotter than normal, I wonder if you have some air in the system. I'd be tempted to redo the refill as noted in previous post and see if this doesn't change the situation. 205 deg as normal would make me want to check things out, it seems high to me.

Last edited:
My '09 did the same thing.... OEM collant was drained and Engine Ice added after their recommended distilled vinegar flush... now the bike is easily 8 - 10 degrees hotter all the time. :( Next time it will be Prestone or some other good name-brand ethyl glycol.

My '09 did the same thing.... OEM collant was drained and Engine Ice added after their recommended distilled vinegar flush... now the bike is easily 8 - 10 degrees hotter all the time. :( Next time it will be Prestone or some other good name-brand ethyl glycol.

Same story here. Engine Ice was added (as directions stated), after last summer was showing that it was running hot under what I would call normal riding conditions.

I just say mine is a hybrid...it runs on electricity after riding. :p

Just accept that the GenII's run warm, and let the fans do their part. Running hotter than normal certainly has been a documented issue on this forum. As long as it isn't getting excessively hot (240+), then you should be fine.

I did the same as you...except I refilled it with Prestone's 50/50 premix and it runs the same (temperature wise) as before I replaced the coolant.

Back