Cost of tires

I got about 6,000 out of my stock Dunlops. I am up to almost 2000 on the BT016 and will have to change them before long due to flattening from commutes. I need a compromise. I am thinking about keeping 016 on the front and 023 on the rear.

Joe, what do you ride on, 60 grit sandpaper??? :nana:

On my Q2s I've got about 450 track day miles on them, and I think I have two track days, maybe three left on them.

Just twisties around the Dragon area. I think I was running 32lb in the front and 34 in rear --- not real soft. It surprised me too --- probably a weak tire.

Last edited:
For $15.00-$20.00 you could have got some Q2's

Well, in CrazyJoe's defense, his riding style and the amount of tires he chews up in the course of a year, well, yes, it does get to be FAR too expensive.

I got over 12k out of the stock 221's and just put on a set of Shinko Ravens for $182 shipped which I'm quite happy with thus far (only two days). I'll tell you more when I hit the 3k and 5k marks though. ;)

So Crazyjoe... I guess my buying the Shinko set is, more or less, putting my head out the window and making my protest? The real question is though, how much tire did I get for the price... because if these don't last at least 8k on the ODO then I'd have been better off spending more to get the PR2 set.

I got around 5K out of my Q2's. Read or search for tire reviews and you'll see the Q2's have a large foot print and have slightly higher lean angles than the Michelin. Don't skimp on traction and technology. Dunlop is racing in Moto 2 on the GP circuit. Also the AMA series is really pushing the development of Dunlop tires. I've ran Pirelli and all the premium brands, but I wouldn't run Shinko if they gave them away Ha! Ha! No offense, but it's your ass on the line. If CrazyJoe was just riding at a real fast street pace his tires would last longer probably. I think he puts a lot of those 1500 miles at track days? At the track I would be getting around 150 to 300 miles out of race tires and maybe a little more out of the sticky street tires...Q2's, 2ct,Pirelli etc. It always comes down to the riders capabilities.

LOVE THIS FZ1 ***Keep the rubber side down*** Get rid of the Shinko's next time? AFM#674

Back