Crooked ?

Something isn't right there. I see wobble in the wheel, sprocket and chain. Definitely out of whack. Did this bike have any accidents?

I don't think it had any accidents. That's the first thing that popped into my mind. I'll have to tale it to the "doctor" but I'm afraid he'll say that I need to replace the wheel.

Could it be that I haven't aligned the wheel perfectly when I had the tire replaced ?

If you watch the wheel edge versus the tire, it looks like the tire isn't seated properly. Did it balance OK? If it wasn't seated just right I would think that it would take alot of weight to get it balanced. I'm surprised VA hasn't chimed in.

Lee, I thought it was just the tire as well, but you can see wobble in the wheel, sprocket and chain. If the tire isn't lined up, there still shouldn't be a wobble, it would still track fine but be off-center. Hmmmm.....

Lee, I thought it was just the tire as well, but you can see wobble in the wheel, sprocket and chain. If the tire isn't lined up, there still shouldn't be a wobble, it would still track fine but be off-center. Hmmmm.....

Yes I noticed that after watching it again, most noticable in the sprocket.

Step 1... loosen everything up.
then... remove the chain from the sprocket... push it out of the way... and spin the wheel by hand... see if it still wobbles..

What I think we're seeing a a tight spot in the chain... which in turn, will pull everything in one direction when it hits the tight spot, and then release... making it look like the wheel has a wave to it... try that... and get back to me.

I don't see anything wrong with either the wheel or tire. I've seen wheels and tires wth a lot more runout than either have on your bike. I'll bet it feels fine on the road right. I'd bet that if everyone put there bikes up on stands or the center stand and ran them to check out how true they were, they'd all see comparable runout. I always run my bikes on a stand after every chain lube to check trueness and they all (since 1965) have had noticeable runout. It helps if you put your camera on a mount instead of moving around, which exagerates the picture. You are allowed .02" and I'll bet many bikes that have seen some miles have more than tht.

Good input Lone but his run-out is a far degree more than .02. There is something wrong.

Aaron, if it was a tight spot in the chain, and the axle is tightened to torque spec, how can the wheel and sprocket be pulled out of place? Thanks!

if you have the axle tightened to spec, but it was done so when not seated firmly to the adjusters, with a reasonable amount of force, you can push the wheel forward to the adjusters.. .. now, if the adjusters are not adjusted exactly the same from side to side, you can actually get a little push-pull-push-pull between the adjusters and the axle... a bit of movement forward and back due to a tight chain with a tight spot... it'll kinda start oscillating...

Thanx for the input guys. I have the axle torqued to the spec, the wheel firmly against the adjusters, but since it was my first time removing the wheel I might have misaligned a couple of things. It feels fine on the road, and the contact patch of the tyre doesn't seem to oscillate. I'll try to take it to the mechanic today.

right .. so the Yamaha doctor told me I can sleep without worries, that once you tighten the axle nut the sprocket holder will set as it should, and that the wobbling is normal. He also said that the alignment is off by half a milimeter or so, but also that it's within tolerance, and doesn't need to be readjusted.

If you're ok with it.... but I wouldn't be. Seems to be a lot more runout than what I've ever seen. Perhaps I need to set the camera on a stand and run my bike on the center stand and see what I notice too. ;)

it would be interesting to know if it's just mine. And it's not like I'm 100% OK with it, so I'll probably try to redo everything and see if the wobble improves

Last edited:
Back